Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

Would tinkering with the 17th amendment be a good idea?

• Keep it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Repeal it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
The 17th Amendment was a New Deal amendment and is not what the founders intended.
Clause 1. The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each State, elected by the people thereof, for six years; and each Senator shall have one vote. The electors in each State shall have the qualifications requisite for electors of the most numerous branch of the State legislatures.

Clause 2. When vacancies happen in the representation of any State in the Senate, the executive authority of each State shall issue writs of election to fill such vacancies: Provided That the legislature of any State may empower the executive thereof to make temporary appointments until the people fill the vacancies by election as the legislature may direct.

Clause 3. This amendment shall not be so construed as to affect the election or term of any Senator chosen before it becomes valid as part of the Constitution.
Here's a nice podcast on repealing the 17th Amendment (link to Volokh.com): http://volokh.com/2010/07/15/repeal-the ... o-podcast/

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
If we hold a Constitutional Convention we are :censored:!

·
Registered
511 Posts
The state legislatures should be the ones to appoint Senators and they would be held personally responsible by the elected officials back in their home states...

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
AEKDB said:
If we hold a Constitutional Convention we are :censored:!
I have thought very seriously about that. I don't know how you can limit it to only one amendment if you start. If you open the box you might not could stop it. Scary ain't it.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
But it still requires 3/5ths of the states to ratify. And it's not an 'all or none' deal. Each Amendment must be ratified separately.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Ashe said:
But it still requires 3/5ths of the states to ratify. And it's not an 'all or none' deal. Each Amendment must be ratified separately.
We'll have to ratify it to find out what is in it.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Term limits on senators would go a lot further toward improving Congress than modifying their electoral process.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
AEKDB said:
Ashe said:
We'll have to ratify it to find out what is in it.
Now where have I heard that one before ??? Oh yeah, I remember now...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts