Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,144 Posts
If it had happened here, it would have been last month. Shame either way.

Nemo

·
American
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it had happened here, it would have been last month. Shame either way.

Nemo
Well, you get to carry a taser on GA campuses now. That should make everyone safe!:rolleyes:

·
American
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The real answer is - future democrat voter + doesn't want to PO any voting block (or cell block as the case may be).

·
Registered
9 Posts
So that explains it... Was in Houston that weekend visiting my kid and went to the shooting range Saturday. Thought it was strange how many families where there that morning. About 5 sets of parents and their younger college age kids shopping for compact pistols and renting different models to try out.

·
Junior Butt Warmer
46,427 Posts
https://www.texastribune.org/2016/08/04/no-ruling-campus-carry-challenge/

. . .
The professors' original argument was that the campus carry law, which allows concealed handgun license holders to take their weapons into classrooms and other public university buildings across the state, violates their First Amendment right to academic freedom. The law went into effect on Monday.
. . .
The lawyers for the professors urged the judge to block the law before classes start for the fall semester on Aug. 24.
. . .
"First Amendment right to academic freedom"... :-k ... Must be something that only exists in their classrooms.

·
American
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
14,956 Posts

·
Just a Man
6,065 Posts
Professors who ban guns in their classrooms will be punished, UT lawyer says

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/poli...lassrooms-will-be-punished-ut-lawyer-says.ece

Updated: 09 August 2016 10:33 AM

AUSTIN - Three professors duking it out in court for the right to ban guns in their classrooms were told Monday they will be punished if they do, according to the latest legal back-and-forth prompted by Texas' new campus carry law.

"Faculty members are aware that state law provides that guns can be carried on campus, and that the president has not made a rule excluding them from classrooms," attorneys representing the University of Texas at Austin and Attorney General Ken Paxton wrote in a legal brief filed Monday. "As a result, any individual professor who attempts to establish such prohibition is subject to discipline."

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
Open carry on campus is banned here, so we'll never know if the ability is being taken advantage of or not. But I can say, blood is not flowing through the halls as some predicted.

·
American
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
Yes we will. Word will get out somehow that certain students are carrying concealed pistols.

I know I'd wear an NRA (or Georgia Carry) hat or button if I were attending college in Texas, to show my support for the human right of self-defense.

They'd then have a good idea that I was armed for my safety and theirs.

Open carry on campus is banned here, so we'll never know if the ability is being taken advantage of or not. But I can say, blood is not flowing through the halls as some predicted.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,144 Posts
So its been 9 days so far. I have not heard anything about the hallways or streets or any such. Someone link me in. The news reports have to be out there.

Nemo

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
Thank goodness Gov. Nathan Deal vetoed Georgia Campus Carry, or we'd be having the carnage that Texas is having in their colleges and universities. [/sarcasm]

·
American
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think its rather funny that folks expected a politician named Deal to be governed by principles. :roll:

·
Just a Man
6,065 Posts
https://www.texastribune.org/2016/08/04/no-ruling-campus-carry-challenge/

"First Amendment right to academic freedom"... :-k ... Must be something that only exists in their classrooms.
The Volokh Conspiracy Opinion
Judge rejects claim that allowing guns on campus violates the Constitution

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_term=.354e5cea86d0

By Eugene Volokh August 23 at 1:22 PM

In yesterday’s Glass v. Paxton (W.D. Tex.), a federal judge refused to block the new Texas law that lets people with concealed-carry licenses carry on university campuses. This is just a decision denying a preliminary injunction, so it’s possible that the final result will be different â€" but, given the judge’s explanation of his reasoning, I think that’s unlikely. A quick summary:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
1 - 20 of 67 Posts