Texan Visiting Atlanta

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by Traveler, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Traveler

Traveler New Member

Hey there, great forum, I've learned quite a bit so far by reading the stickies and doing a search, but I need some clarification. I am a Texas Resident, CHL and will be visiting Atlanta soon. I plan on bringing my firearm with me, but needs some clarification about some of your laws.

I'm a TX CHL which as reciprocity with GA
    I'm Active Duty Military
    Will be staying at the CNN Center

From what I read here, I am exempt of the public gathering law since I am active duty correct?

Am I also exempt from the places that serve alcohol as well, or is it only public gatherings?

How does the hotel work, the hotel I presume has a lobby bar, am I not permitted to carry in the hotel lobby since the bar is nearby?

I do plan on taking in a braves game while in town, what if anything do I need to be aware of.

I do not drink when I am packing, so that is not a concern, but it looks as if your law is up for a lot of interpretation. If the baseball game serves beer, is the whole stadium off limits?

Thanks for any help you can provide, I'd like to make my visit to Atlanta safe and enjoyable.

2. Traveler

Traveler New Member

Outstanding, thanks folks, I had found the public opiniom via a search, but about halfway through its reading my head started spinning. :?:

One follow on question, the first response says show my Military ID to the cops, and I am good. Do I have to declare? or can I just carry concealed, then if approached for some odd reason, then show the id.??

3. Traveler

Traveler New Member

GA Gunowner, thanks for the detailed response, that is EXACTLY what I was looking for. You spelled it out quite nicely. Thanks.

4. Traveler

Traveler New Member

Is a Taxi public transportation?

Anyone familiar with the area, is is easy to get from CNN Center to Braves stadium without using MARTA (which I assume is your Bus??)

5. Traveler

Traveler New Member

Yeah I planned on printing it out, I read that somewhere here that not all LE knows about it, plus I'd have my TX CHL and my experince in other states is that Not all LE even know about Recipricoty, so always better to hand them something. As far as open carry, personal preference, but uhh... no thanks..

6. Traveler

Traveler New Member

Nice.. ;) Plus I hear there was a shooting at the CNN center a few weeks back.

If you ever need it:

http://www.texaschlforum.com/

Of all the good laws TX has, they do not have a military exemption, so at least GA has done that right. I couldn't imagine trying to figure out if a hotel that is having a conference would be considered a public gathering or not, let alone where the beer was being served, it could even make a hotel room off limits I suppose..

7. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Looks like GAGunOwner took care of ya. Good job GAGunOwner.

I was going to add print out some of the paperwork, but it was already mentioned.

I hope you have a great trip.

8. Traveler

Traveler New Member

Does'nt O.C.G.A. § 16-12-127 (a) say that you can not attempt to defeat a security measure? I take that to mean you can not carry past a metal detector, or xray machine, but if none is in place than section 123 applies??? No?

9. Traveler

Traveler New Member

so packing seems to be a wise thing then.. :lol: