Featured Tennessee No Alcohol and Carrying?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by EJR914, Nov 15, 2017.

1. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/tennessee.pdf

I'll be eating a lot of fine dinners at restaurants for a few months while working in Tennessee with the big dogs. I occasionally like to enjoy a single glass of fine red wine, craft beer, or whiskey or scotch with a fine steak dinner. The big dogs do too.

Is carrying concealed and having an alcoholic drink with dinner at a restaurant that serves alcohol illegal in Tennessee?

Thanks for any answers and the heads up.

I'll be concealing for various reasons.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I will have to find the code, but Tennessee does not allow consumption while carrying.

I will take the 5th if you ask if have though. I always conceal when away from home.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    EJR914 likes this.

3. BG_Atl

BG_Atl Active Member

http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/tncode/

Kinda looks like a NO to me

39-17-1321. Possession of handgun while under influence -- Penalty.

(a) Notwithstanding whether a person has a permit issued pursuant to § 39-17-1315 or § 39-17-1351, it is an offense for a person to possess a handgun while under the influence of alcohol or any controlled substance or controlled substance analogue.

(b) It is an offense for a person to possess a firearm if the person is both:

(1) Within the confines of an establishment open to the public where liquor, wine or other alcoholic beverages, as defined in § 57-3-101(a)(1)(A), or beer, as defined in § 57-6-102, are served for consumption on the premises; and

(2) Consuming any alcoholic beverage listed in subdivision (b)(1).

(c) (1) A violation of this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

(2) In addition to the punishment authorized by subdivision (c)(1), if the violation is of subsection (a), occurs in an establishment described in subdivision (b)(1), and the person has a handgun permit issued pursuant to § 39-17-1351, such permit shall be suspended in accordance with § 39-17-1352 for a period of three (3) years.

EJR914 likes this.
  4. jmorriss

jmorriss Active Member

Yea, its a no no in TN. Exercise rule #1.

EJR914 likes this.
  5. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

In Georgia, I usually have a glass of wine when dinning out with my family. So far, I haven't gone insane and shot anyone after finishing my drink.

When people carrying dine out and have wine in Tenn, they go insane and start shooting people. Thank goodness I don't live in Tenn because I really don't want to hurt anyone.

janedoedad and EJR914 like this.
  6. EJR914

That's going to be a definite no on the legality of drinking and carrying in Tennessee. Thank you especially for giving me the exact code. :righton:

7. Craftsman

Craftsman Active Member

North Carolina has very similar restrictions. I blame the Baptists.

EJR914 likes this.
  8. Glockenator

Glockenator Active Member

Yep. As I understand it, it is illegal to carry in NC with any alcohol in your system.

My wife is from that cultish religion. She's never turned a bottle up, and I've never turned one down. :mrgreen:

On the other hand, if you're going fishing and bringing along beer, never bring just one Baptist buddy. Bring two. Then you get all of your beer. Bring one, and your buddy will drink all of it.

EJR914 likes this.
  9. You people need to get out more. Come on down to South Georgia and you may change your mine on Cultist Baptist. We will drink all your alcohol and steal your woman for good measure. All hell has been known to break out on communion night. Something about that wine after it has been used to wash a few feet.:drink:

Motopackin and EJR914 like this.
  10. EJR914

Those darn Baptists! :lol:

My favorite people on this Earth are a Reformed Baptist preacher and his wife

11. Clark

Clark Member

How many Baptists does it take to change a lightbulb? None, that would require raising hands in church.
    Jesus turned water into wine. Baptists turn wine into Welch's.
    What's the difference between Baptists and Methodists? Methodists greet each other in the liquor store.
    (I was raised Southern Baptist, my family still is, even they like these)

EJR914 likes this.
  12. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Thomas Bramwell Welch was actually a Methodist minister and invented Dr. Welch's Unfermented Wine (that is, pasteurized grape juice) for religious reasons, given Methodist support for the temperance movement.

EJR914 likes this.
  13. Malum Prohibitum

I find it beyond odd that pretty much every church uses pasteurized grape juice today, and most seem ignorant of the fact that such a drink was completely unavailable merely a century ago.

TimBob and EJR914 like this.
  14. mb90535im

mb90535im Active Member

You would be surprised (well, maybe you wouldn't) how many people will tell you, "the Bible might say wine, but it means grape juice." I use to work with a guy who believed that and no amount of facts was going to change his mind.

TimBob and EJR914 like this.
  15. Mrs_Esterhouse

From alcohol to (now) firearms, is there anything this church isn't interested in banning?

EJR914 likes this.
  16. Malum Prohibitum

I would not be surprised, just disappointed.

EJR914 likes this.
  17. Glockenator

Glockenator Active Member

Like fruit juice is gonna keep, in the middle eastern desert. Hell, even water will barely keep there. But wine will.

EJR914 likes this.
  18. Phil1979

Phil1979 Active Member

I'd be surprised if any Methodist church in Georgia has opted into HB 60. Very few Baptist churches have. Perhaps more have been opting in, in recent days due to the Texas church massacre.

19. Mrs_Esterhouse

A United Methodist church in Mableton asked two of their deacons to conceal-carry after the Texas shooting happened. Unfortunately, the church still won't allow regular parishioners to carry.

Pre HB60, even if the church wanted it, the deacons could not legally carry.

20. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

Well, even the media has been covering churches around the country now allowing guns to defend against crazy people after Texas. Maybe GA churches are more concerned over being PC than they're concerned for their members. Time to separate the wheat from the chaff.

It's too bad GCO has worked so hard to give them the legal ability to protect themselves and yet they work so hard to be victims. Making mistakes in a crisis is one thing, but this is simply deciding if their congregation is going to be victims or not. I would bet their thought process is "if we stick together and don't allow it, people will not have a choice." Ugh, sheeple.