Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Senate bill 397 introduced this afternoon would amend TCA 39-17-1307(a)(1). This is the law I am currently challenging in the courts as unconstitutional.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
Wouldn't Constitutional Carry make it where you do not need a license to carry a handgun? I think that is a bit of a misnomer.

I don't really like this part of the bill, either:

This bill makes it a Class C misdemeanor for a person to fail to accurately answer a law enforcement officer if the officer contacts the person and asks whether the person is carrying a concealed deadly weapon.
So there will no longer be anymore AIFTG? in TN? You will be forced to answer if you are armed or not, when concealed. I tend to like the 4th amendment a little bit more than that.

·
Banned
2,559 Posts
EJR914 said:
Wouldn't Constitutional Carry make it where you do not need a license to carry a handgun? I think that is a bit of a misnomer.

I don't really like this part of the bill, either:

This bill makes it a Class C misdemeanor for a person to fail to accurately answer a law enforcement officer if the officer contacts the person and asks whether the person is carrying a concealed deadly weapon.
So there will no longer be anymore AIFTG? in TN? You will be forced to answer if you are armed or not, when concealed. I tend to like the 4th amendment a little bit more than that.
Elliott, you're feeding the troll buddy...

·
Banned
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
His approach is to modify tca 39-17-1307. My approach is to have it declared unconstitutional.

tca 39-17-1307 is the statute which makes it illegal to carry any firearm. By amending it to read differently it nolonger criminalizes the carry of firearms. So, all sorts of firearms could be carried. Rifles, shotguns, nfa stuff, handguns, clubs, knives longer than 4", etc.

I think notification is ridiculous. Cop asks, you inform, then what? Tennessee is not a shall identify state.

Unlicensed park carry will still be illegal unless tca 39-17-1311 is amended.

It will still be a criminal offense to carry past a gunbusters sign.

It will render my lawsuit null if it passes. :(

·
Registered
563 Posts
"Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, authorizes certain persons over 21 to carry a firearm without a permit; provides endorsements on driver licenses of persons who obtain a handgun carry permit; makes permanent the issuance of a handgun carry permit. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17 and Title 55, Chapter 50."

This stuff about endorsements on driver licenses of persons who obtain a handgun carry permit, is a bunch of crap as far as I am concerned. I would much rather have a separate license, or better yet, no license required at all.

What good is it to not have a permit, but still be required to have it on your license? Would you now be guilty of a felony or misdemeanor if it is not on your DL?

·
Banned
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
YZ#58 said:
"Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, authorizes certain persons over 21 to carry a firearm without a permit; provides endorsements on driver licenses of persons who obtain a handgun carry permit; makes permanent the issuance of a handgun carry permit. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17 and Title 55, Chapter 50."

This stuff about endorsements on driver licenses of persons who obtain a handgun carry permit, is a bunch of crap as far as I am concerned. I would much rather have a separate license, or better yet, no license required at all.

What good is it to not have a permit, but still be required to have it on your license? Would you now be guilty of a felony or misdemeanor if it is not on your DL?
The permit will not be required, but I assume to make it easier to keep track of and maybe save money they're going to put it on a driver's license.

Here is the language of the bill as introduced.

This law makes open or concealed carry of a firearm, club, or knife legal. Before we were limited to handgun carry only, pursuant to a permit. If this law passes we can open carry or concealed carry a rifle, shotgun, machinegun, aow, knife longer than 4", or a club.

We'll also be able to carry loaded longguns and handguns in vehicles.

Believe it or not there are people who think permits/licenses should be a requirement or have a desire to be permitted or licensed.

·
Banned
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CoffeeMate said:
Bad idea...
Under the current law we can't carry weapons w/o a permit so this law is an improvement. Under the old law we had to show the handgun permit upon demand. This is an improvement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts