Tennessee - Guns in Parks Law

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by Phil1979, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

http://www.923wnpc.com/cgi-bin/newspost/viewnews.cgi?category=1&id=1441710970

Annnnd they're off and running! It's gonna cost us money! It's for the children! Alcohol! :panic: :panic: :panic:

I wonder if the Tennessee Legislature and Gov. Haslam has the spine to tell the concert promoters that want to ban guns lawfully carried in public parks to take a hike?

The governor has stated that the law needs to be revisited. Hmmm...

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  2. MLS 4506

MLS 4506 Active Member

quote:[FONT=verdana,arial]Democrats in the Tennessee legislature have filed a bill to exempt events held in public parks and major sports venues from the controversial "guns in parks" law
    :crossfinger:

they have membership of 25% in the house and 15% in the senate.
    they should not be able to pass this crap :waiting:
    [/FONT]

3. Dawgdoc

Dawgdoc Well-Known Member

Never underestimate the power of TN RINOs; the Democrats just have to sit back vote when needed, practically.

4. Phil1979

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/local-news/no-guns-allowed-at-tennessee-valley-fair_80432500

The Fair is to be held in a public park - no ambiguity here. Local officials are adamant to disobey state law. Some in Tennesss are afraid this is the game plan to repeal the law - for lawsuits to give the legislature an excuse to repeal the law to save cities money: http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/90711-knoxville-allowing-fair-to-prohibit-guns-in-a-park/

Mayor Rogero to give a statement later today.

5. Phil1979

Knoxville Mayor Madeline Rogero is an arrogant and foolish politician. She is setting up Knoxville for losing lawsuits. And the entire cost should be paid by her and the other local government fools that are resisting clear state law. The Guns in Parks law actually mentions "Civic Centers", and also states, "for recreational purposes."

From http://www.knoxnews.com/news/local-n...-fair_80432500 - updated now with:

City-owned Chilhowee Park, despite its name, is not a park but “a public assembly, entertainment and education venue used for civic events and by contractors for special events,” the mayor said in a statement. “Chilhowee Park is not managed as a city of Knoxville park by the Parks and Recreation Department, nor does it function as a park or recreation facility.”

6. Phil1979

Looks like it's both publicly owned AND used for recreational purposes. Exactly the criteria in the new Tennessee law.

From http://www.chilhoweepark.org/ :

Chilhowee Park & Exposition Center is an 81-acre, multi-use, venue owned by the City of Knoxville. It is located blocks away from interstate access and minutes from downtown Knoxville. The facility includes a 3 acre lake, bandstand, 4500 seat amphitheater, 57,100 sq. ft. exhibition hall, barns, arenas, playground and picnic shelters. Chilhowee Park is also home to the Tennessee Valley Fair.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

8. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

That's pretty weak right there.

9. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Um, parks are also used as "a public assembly, entertainment and education venue used for civic events and by contractors for special events".

Also, I have never heard of a park not being a park, based on who managed the facility.

10. Dawgdoc

From what I have seen, they seem to focus on lobbying the legislators. I haven't seen or heard of any lawsuits by TFA. They seem quite unlike GCO in that regard.

Being on TNGunOwners.com also, I get the general feeling that a larger portion of TN gun toters are of the "don't rock the boat" variety. In other words, be satisfied with what has been accomplished. Since a true right to bear arms is not actually guaranteed in TN, I compare them to a battered woman whose husband is not currently beating her--afraid that if she says the wrong thing, the beatings will commence again.

When the guns in parks law was going through the legislature, there was a distinct cloud of pessimism about its chances, and a lot of surprise when it passed.

11. Phil1979

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/politi...s-with-citys-view-on-no-guns-at-fair_30577848

Tennessee Governor Haslam actually agrees with Mayor Rogero's assertion that Chilhowee Park is not a "park". :screwy:

He also says this is why legislation next year needs to "clarify" the issue. This means he wants the legislature to take away some of the rights that were restored last session. Well, I guess that's what Democrats do, huh? Doh!

What the Tennessee Legislature needs to do is rule that all public property is legal to carry at. Wonder if Haslam would sign that bill?

12. Phil1979

Doc, you head the nail on the head right there. TFA seems to be a timid organization, and most of the folks at tngunowners are content to just conceal and keep quiet about it.

I guess they are afraid to be pegged as "activists". Mild manner me was almost rail-roaded out of there for "rocking the boat".

13. Phil1979

Just now tried to send this email to addresses I thought might reach Attorney General Slatery, but none went through, so I'll post it as an open letter to him here:

Dear Tennessee Attorney General Slatery,

Lately, local government officials have been making a mockery of your recent opinion regarding the new "Guns in Parks" law. Doesn't that upset you?They are even going so far as to say that a park is not a park, like Knoxville Mayor Rogero. Shockingly, even Gov. Haslam is agreeing with her foolishness.

If you want to have any political hope to run as governor someday, you've got to stand up to this foolishness and put a stop it with strong words.

Tennesseans are sick of nambly-pambly leadership. They want a real leader who stands behind state law and freedom for the people.
    I hope you take action, and soon.

Thanks and best regards,

Phillip Evans

14. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

You should find an email addy to get that to him.

Nemo

15. Phil1979

I tried six different ones such as [email protected] or [email protected]. Maybe someone can google-foo it better than I can.

16. Phil1979

17. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

LOL! What a semantic mess they have created for themselves.

The city spokesperson also said the city does not consider Chilhowee Park a park when it comes to carrying guns under the guns in parks law but that it was up to the district attorney’s office to determine if it’s a park when it comes to criminal charges.

The district attorney’s office issued this statement: “Our office considers Chilhowee Park a park for the purposes of the drug free zone statute. Park is a word of common meaning. We would ask jurors to use that common meaning when determining whether a given property is a park.â€​

18. Phil1979

I agree MP, it is a funny mess they've made for themselves.

I hope this is the straw that breaks the back of Tennessee's 1359 signage law. It's about time that got repealed or declared unconstitutional by a state judge.

19. Dawgdoc

The Tennessee Firearms Association is also planning on suing Knoxville about this issue.

Knoxville's overlords look like fools trying to justify their park that isn't a park, despite being called a park by the Mayor in the fair visitor guide, has a plaque on its property referring to a park, and is controlled by the same department that also administers the World's Fair Park. http://www.athleticbusiness.com/civil-actions/want-to-carry-a-gun-in-a-city-park-define-city-park-br.html

I wonder if they will go so far as to allow criminals to get a lesser sentence in order to hold fast to their "not a real park" mantra. According to the article, it sounds like they may have done just that--"They dropped the park zone."

And if they lose the lawsuit, then they will constantly whine to the legislators that the law is unfair and that they should be able to control their little fiefdom more tightly.

20. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny