Tench Coxe Quote on Arms

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by Malum Prohibitum, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Tench Coxe "a Pennsylvanian" and American Political Economist, assistant to Alexander Hamilton, and an anti-Federalist, on the scope of arms to be owned and carried by the militia (every . . . terrible implement of the soldier) and who is the militia.

"...the powers of the sword are in the hands of the yeomanry of America from sixteen to sixty. The militia of these free commonwealths, entitled and accustomed to their arms, when compared to any possible armymust be tremendous and irresistible. Who are these militia? Are they not ourselves. Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each against his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American. What clause in the state or federal constitution hath given away that important right.... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. (February 20, 1788)

This was in an article in which Coxe was arguing that a fear that Congress or his home state of Pennsylvannia would attempt to disarm the people was "ridiculous."

When you have time, here is an article by Stephen Halbrook and Don Kates about Tench Coxe. It is long, but well worth reading.

http://i2i.org/SuptDocs/Crime/hk-coxe.htm

2. Malum Prohibitum

:bump:

This was the second oldest post in Off Topic.

Obviously, Tench Coxe and Saul Cornell would not have gotten along very well.

3. Malum Prohibitum

But Coxe and Madison got along alright!

James Madison wrote him a letter quoting it back to him! He let him know that both he and Col. Hamilton were pleased by it and approved of it.

I am aware of no writing negatively criticizing it.

"Your arguments appear to me to place the subject to which they relate in its true light . . ."

4. Malum Prohibitum

:bump: The second oldest post in Off Topic. :wink:

5. Militus Armatura

Militus Armatura New Member

A good read so far.....

6. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

I'm starting to get a hit why Malum's post count is so high.

7. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Powerful quote! I love it. Just more proof that the 2nd amendment really is about the "militia" meaning every American citizen.

8. fiwit

fiwit New Member

Which is why the bumper sticker on my garage wall says "I am a militia of one" (and here I thought it was just a cool thought)