Georgiapacking.org banner

81 - 100 of 296 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
....A form letter to the probate judge. Some of us GFL holders have been told no to a temp permit, had to provide SSN, and employment info. Some of us are mad enough to complain. How about it Malum Prohibitum,Gunstar1,Jrm or anyone that is willing and can spell those big words :D A form letter we all could send to the probate court, or to all GA probate courts might help. Give it a thought :D

·
Professional Troll
2,113 Posts
Just an F.Y.I. Betty Cason is the president of the council of probate judges in Georgia. You could try sending letters to her, as I am sure she disseminates communications down to all 159 probate courts.

BTW, Ms. Cason is also the probate judge in Carroll County, so finding a way to contact her should be quite easy...

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
Just this week I got information back from the probate council that
1. they have not sent any information out about the renewal permit
2. each court gets the updated laws and they read for themselves what the new law means.

I am not saying we should not send something to them, just that they are not the cause. Neither is the DPS. Or so both of them claim in my Open Records Requests.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Gunstar1 said:
2. each court gets the updated laws and they read for themselves what the new law means.
Perhaps we should put some tax dollars aside for "reading for meaning" classes for the courts. They either do not understand the meaning of the words, or they can't read at all, or they just don't care about upholding the law. :screwy:

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
cbp0229 said:
Gunstar1 said:
Perhaps we should put some tax dollars aside for "reading for meaning" classes for the courts. They either do not understand the meaning of the words, or they can't read at all, or they just don't care about upholding the law. :screwy:
I'm going to have to go with option C on that one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lowndes County does not issue a temporary permit. I was also told by the Probate Court that permit renewel now takes up to 4 months.

·
68,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
UPDATED LIST of counties issuing temporary renewal licenses (Henry moved to the "issuing" column):

NOT ISSUING

Cherokee
Clayton
Cobb
Coweta
Dawson
DeKalb
Douglas
Fayette
Floyd
Fulton
Gwinnett
Lowndes
Meriwether
Spalding
Troup

ISSUING

Dougherty
Henry
Lee

If your county is not listed, it means that we do not know whether they are issuing temporary licenses. Please call and ask, then post the answer here so that we may add them to the list as issuing or not issuing temporary licenses.

All you have to do is say, "Hi. Are you issuing temporary renewal firearms licenses at the time of application for a five year renewal license?"

They will probably tell you there is no such thing as a renewal license anymore, in which case, you may want to ask, just to clarify, whether they will issue you a temporary license when you apply for another license.

Then post your answer (with the county) here. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
BOY,....you sure do ask for alot!!!!!!! :righton:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great news about the hearing! I am dealing with this issue in Cobb; my CCW expires today. Would anyone care to venture a guess as to the implications if the suit is successful and Henry County is forced to comply wiht the law? Do you think other counties will follow suit or will they have to be sued individually?

Thanks

·
Sledgehammer
4,690 Posts
Cade,

It's hard to guess what other counties will do. We'll probably have to wait and see.

Have you applied for your renewal yet? If so, did you get a temporary?

If you have not applied, I urge you to do so as soon as possible (and don't forget that you do not have to provide your SSN and employment information if you don't want to).

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
Cade said:
Great news about the hearing! I am dealing with this issue in Cobb; my CCW expires today. Would anyone care to venture a guess as to the implications if the suit is successful and Henry County is forced to comply wiht the law? Do you think other counties will follow suit or will they have to be sued individually?

Thanks
If a Restraining Order is placed on Henry County, unless the Judge of another court is really anti-gun then typically just giving them a copy of the RO from the Henry county case is enough to change their minds.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Gunstar1 said:
If a Restraining Order is placed on Henry County, unless the Judge of another court is really anti-gun then typically just giving them a copy of the RO from the Henry county case is enough to change their minds.
It's kind of sad how excited I am that I could deliver such info in person to Judge McVay of Cherokee County.

Anyone want to go as a group? (Assuming this works out the way we would like it to...)

·
Registered
3,119 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rockdale temporary permits

Add Rockdale to the list not issuing temporary permits...120 days for renewal and no temporary... Period...If I understand this right, you cannot apply for renewal earlier than 90 days before expiration, so that leave 30 days with no permit. Also, why can some counties turn around the permits within the limits and others take 4 months?

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Re: Rockdale temporary permits

packinpapa said:
Also, why can other counties turn around the permits within the limits and others take 4 months?
From what I understand after reading the docs relating to the case against the Coweta County court, some judges choose not to follow the procedure set out in state law. They just do it their own way, without regard for time limits.

81 - 100 of 296 Posts