Georgiapacking.org banner

41 - 60 of 296 Posts

·
Sledgehammer
4,704 Posts
I'll take a stab at guessing what the logic is of refusing to issue temps:

1. State law says GFLs should not be issued to people not ineligible under federal law to receive a firearm.
2. At the time of application for a renewal, the judge does not run a NICS check and therefore does not know if the person is ineligible to receive a firearm.
3. Ergo, a temp may not be issued.

Despite the plain language of the statute requiring temps, some are saying that the new law essentially repealed the requirement.

·
68,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
How is this different from the way it was before, jrm?

By the way, not issuing to someone who is ineligible (whether because of federal law or state law) relates to issuing under (d), not (i). Issuing under (i) has its own standard, which is whether the probate judge knows or is made aware of a factor affecting eligibility at the time of application. The burden is on the judge, not the applicant. If the judge does not know of or is not "made aware" of a factor relating to eligibility, then the judge is to issue the temporary license at the time of application.

That test did not change.

"At the time of application for a renewal, the judge does not run a NICS check and therefore does not know if the person is ineligible to receive a firearm." Assuming that is true, then that means the judge must issue the temporary license, because the test is that she must issue unless she does know!

"I don't know" = MUST issue.

Pretty simple formula.

·
68,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
UPDATED LIST of counties issuing temporary renewal licenses (added to the "not issuing" column):

NOT ISSUING

Cherokee
Clayton
Cobb
Coweta
DeKalb
Douglas
Fayette
Floyd
Fulton

ISSUING

Lee
Dougherty

If your county is not listed, it means that we do not know whether they are issuing temporary licenses. Please call and ask, then post the answer here so that we may add them to the list as issuing or not issuing temporary licenses.

All you have to do is say, "Hi. Are you issuing temporary renewal firearms licenses at the time of application for a five year renewal license?"

They will probably tell you there is no such thing as a renewal license anymore, in which case, you may want to ask, just to clarify, whether they will issue you a temporary license when you apply for another license.

Then post your answer (with the county) here. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
There are too many courts answering the temp renewal question with the law changed, no more renewals means no more temp renewal permits. Most of the courts seem to be of the same opinion about the renewal permits so someone at a higher level of authority must have told them.

I can't see how they can claim a renewal license no longer exists when HB 1032 says license or renewal license many many times.

In fact here is part of HB 1032's newly written investigation subsection:
(2)For both license applications and requests for license renewals
And the first part of the temp renewal section is:
(1) Any person who holds a license under this Code section to carry a pistol or revolver may, at the time he applies for a renewal of the license, also apply for a temporary renewal license if less than 90 days remain before expiration of the license he then holds or if his previous license has expired within the last 30 days.

·
68,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Well, one says "requests" and one says "applies." They are completely different.

Completely different!

:D

·
68,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Malum Prohibitum said:
UPDATED LIST of counties issuing temporary renewal licenses (added to the "not issuing" column):

NOT ISSUING

Cherokee
Clayton
Cobb
Coweta
DeKalb
Douglas
Fayette
Floyd
Fulton
Gwinnett

ISSUING

Dougherty
Lee

If your county is not listed, it means that we do not know whether they are issuing temporary licenses. Please call and ask, then post the answer here so that we may add them to the list as issuing or not issuing temporary licenses.

All you have to do is say, "Hi. Are you issuing temporary renewal firearms licenses at the time of application for a five year renewal license?"

They will probably tell you there is no such thing as a renewal license anymore, in which case, you may want to ask, just to clarify, whether they will issue you a temporary license when you apply for another license.

I know we have more than 12 counties, out of 159 counties, of people visiting here. :D

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Gwinnett

You can add Gwinnett to the list of counties not issuing temp permits. I got a chance to go by today and ask. :(

·
68,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Done. Thanks. Anybody else? The number is listed in the blue pages in the back of the business listings . . .

OR georgiapacking.org has a list here. http://www.georgiapacking.org/gfl1.php

Talk about making it easy for you! :D

·
68,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Malum Prohibitum said:

NOT ISSUING

Cherokee
Clayton
Cobb
Coweta
DeKalb
Douglas
Fayette
Floyd
Fulton
Gwinnett
Troup

ISSUING

Dougherty
Lee

I know we have more than 13 counties, out of 159 counties, of people visiting here. :D

SoonerPast: Only one post and a useful one to boot! =D> :righton: Troup is now added to the list.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Great site!!
Went to dawson county probate sept. 13-06 for a renewal license.
Had to provide a $24.00 money order, SSN,( had trouble remembering all the #s-hope it was right # :D), and employment info. I asked for a temporary license- clerk says- we dont do them. I give her a copy of 16-11-129. she askes-where did you get this from, the law has changed? I give her a copy of HB 1032. I tell her (I) has not changed and agian ask for a ( temp ). The clerk tells me she cant, and to just use my current license that expires in Nov.06 until the new one comes in the mail :shock: I ask her to give the copies to the judge- she says she will. At this point I keep my big mouth shut. :evil:

·
Sledgehammer
4,704 Posts
Sgt. B, when you had to provide SSN and employment information, did the form say that information was optional?

Did you fill out the form yourself, or did you give the information to a clerk who typed it on the computer? If the latter, did the clerk tell you the SSN and employment information was optional?

·
68,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Malum Prohibitum said:

NOT ISSUING

Cherokee
Clayton
Cobb
Coweta
Dawson
DeKalb
Douglas
Fayette
Floyd
Fulton
Gwinnett
Henry
Meriwether
Spalding
Troup

ISSUING

Dougherty
Lee

I know we have more than 13 counties, out of 159 counties, of people visiting here. :D
I added Dawson to the above list. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Add Meriwether Co.

Meriwether will not issue temp. or renewal. It's basically like getting a new license and in the court's eyes it's like you've never had a license before. So during the period of time when your license has expired to when you receive the new one, no CCW for you! This is a sad situation and an infringement upon our rights, especially in a 'shall-issue' state! :evil:

·
Registered
108 Posts
jrm

No sir. I did not fill out a form. The clerk typed the info in as she asked the questions and no she did not tell me SSN or employment info was optional. For employment , I told her I was self employed ( true, I am ) and all she wanted was my home or cell #.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can add Spalding County to the list of non-issuers of temp licenses. I just had it out with the Judge on the phone. I get the impression these guys were told not to issue temps no matter what the law says! As soon as I started mentioning titles and sections he got very irate and told me to come see him in person (so he could obviously intimidate me in private). This is not cool. We need a pro-bono attorney to take these law-breakers on.

·
Registered
943 Posts
denied a temp license

first post, here it goes. went to cobb county probate court and got my new license, old one had expired and was informed had to do it all over again. asked the nice lady if i could get a temp. the answer was no. so i guess i am with out for four months. :x

41 - 60 of 296 Posts