Georgiapacking.org banner

281 - 296 of 296 Posts

·
Banned
6,624 Posts
Dawson county probate call today and told me my license was ready to be picked up. I just picked it up and spoke with Judge Burt. She said they would issue a temporary license if the renewal is very close to the expiration of the old carry license, and that if someone insisted they would issue a temporary license within the 90 day window. I think it's kind of hard to insist when you're told outright that it is not required by law and that they do not issue temporaries.

Deep down I knew I would probably get my license way before my old one expired, but you never know.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I applied for a renewal on 6.1.11 in Habersham County as my license was due to expire by the 13th of the month. At the time of my renewal, the judge was out to lunch and the clerk, who was very nice and helpful, said she didn't know anything about temporary licenses and tried to convince me they would have the renewal done well before my then current permit expired. Being a cynical person, I politely insisted I receive the full extent of my legal right. We pulled the relevant code up on her computer, printed it off and highlighted pertinent sections. She also had me fill out two licenses so the judge could sign the temporary one when she returned that afternoon.

The probate judge was elected last November and the clerk was pretty new as well, so it is entirely possible they weren't well versed in this one detail of the law. I didn't push things, was very polite, but firm and informative and told them I would appreciated it if they would mail the temp. the next day, which they did and I had the temp. by Monday.

It's a good thing too, because my license expired and the renewal hasn't come in yet. Good thing I paid my $1 and insisted they abide by the law.

·
16,485 Posts
SMC_Nubby said:
I applied for a renewal on 6.1.11 in Habersham County as my license was due to expire by the 13th of the month. At the time of my renewal, the judge was out to lunch and the clerk, who was very nice and helpful, said she didn't know anything about temporary licenses and tried to convince me they would have the renewal done well before my then current permit expired. Being a cynical person, I politely insisted I receive the full extent of my legal right. We pulled the relevant code up on her computer, printed it off and highlighted pertinent sections. She also had me fill out two licenses so the judge could sign the temporary one when she returned that afternoon.

The probate judge was elected last November and the clerk was pretty new as well, so it is entirely possible they weren't well versed in this one detail of the law. I didn't push things, was very polite, but firm and informative and told them I would appreciated it if they would mail the temp. the next day, which they did and I had the temp. by Monday.

It's a good thing too, because my license expired and the renewal hasn't come in yet. Good thing I paid my $1 and insisted they abide by the law.
(i) Temporary renewal licenses.

(1) Any person who holds a weapons carry license under this Code section may, at the time he or she applies for a renewal of the license, also apply for a temporary renewal license if less than 90 days remain before expiration of the license he or she then holds or if the previous license has expired within the last 30 days.

(2) Unless the judge of the probate court knows or is made aware of any fact which would make the applicant ineligible for a five-year renewal license, the judge shall at the time of application issue a temporary renewal license to the applicant.

(3) Such a temporary renewal license shall be in the form of a paper receipt indicating the date on which the court received the renewal application and shall show the name, address, sex, age, and race of the applicant and that the temporary renewal license expires 90 days from the date of issue.

(4) During its period of validity the temporary renewal permit, if carried on or about the holder's person together with the holder's previous license, shall be valid in the same manner and for the same purposes as a five-year license.

(5) A $1.00 fee shall be charged by the probate court for issuance of a temporary renewal license.

(6) A temporary renewal license may be revoked in the same manner as a five-year license.

(j) When an eligible applicant fails to receive a license, temporary permit, or renewal license within the time period required by this Code section and the application or request has been properly filed, the applicant may bring an action in mandamus or other legal proceeding in order to obtain a license, temporary license, or renewal license. If such applicant is the prevailing party, he or she shall be entitled to recover his or her costs in such action, including reasonable attorney's fees.
I do not think your temporary license is of the proper form.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Do they look differently from the regular license? The license she issued was a standard GWCL, but with an expiration date of 90 days from time of application. I still have my expired GFL that I can keep with the temp until the renewal comes in. I also have the receipts of both the renewal and the temp license - they were processed as two separate transactions.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am sorry to reserect this older thread but my wife and I will be renewing our GWL sometime before May 16, 2012. Are all counties issuing temporary licenses now? I want to wait until my license is nearing expiration before renewing. I do not want to be without my GWL.

We are in Hall county.

Thanks, Billy

·
68,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #286
RCACF Billy said:
I am sorry to reserect this older thread but my wife and I will be renewing our GWL sometime before May 16, 2012. Are all counties issuing temporary licenses now? I want to wait until my license is nearing expiration before renewing. I do not want to be without my GWL.

We are in Hall county.

Thanks, Billy
The law says they have to do so. I might suggest you call Hall County and ask whether they comply with the law on temporary licenses. It is not really like they get to have a choice in the matter of whether to obey the law.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I listened to Walton county's recording today about weapon license's. They said there are no renewals now and a full application must be completed again along with payment of $72.25, is this something new?

·
I watch the watchers
12,875 Posts
All 'renewals' in the last few years have been processed as 'full applications', as though you never had a GWL to begin with.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Interesting. So if I have an old style permit and I want to get the new one, do I have to make another app and pay again? Or can I get a replacement and have 2?

·
I watch the watchers
12,875 Posts

·
Senior Mumbler
6,361 Posts
If you get a replacement for a lost license, it will most likely still be the same old design. You can pay the full fee and get the new style license if you wish.

Personally, I'm fine with the old style license and will keep it until I'm due for renewal. Unfortunately, with SB98 being killed in House Rules last night, I will have to pay full price for that renewal when done.

·
Registered
238 Posts
majorwoo said:
It looks like this thread was resurrected from 2006. Are we still dealing with this?
Yes, Im about to renew my license and was told by email that dekalb probate court doesn't issue temporary licenses.

·
what me worry?
6,504 Posts
NOTICE: Many probate courts think that the recent change in law means that they no longer have to issue a temporary renewal license. This is incorrect. If you are going to renew your permit and will need a temporary renewal permit, you should print out and carry with you HB 1032 (which says that it effects only subsections a through d) and Georgia Code 16-11-129 and show them subsection i that was not altered by HB 1032. For more information read the Temporary Renewal License denials topic in the forum.

found on here

http://www.georgiapacking.org/gflrenew.php

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
JMJ2 said:
majorwoo said:
It looks like this thread was resurrected from 2006. Are we still dealing with this?
Yes, Im about to renew my license and was told by email that dekalb probate court doesn't issue temporary licenses.
That's interesting considering that their own website indicates that they will

http://www.gaprobate.org/licenses.php
near the bottom

·
Registered
501 Posts
Because I'm an idiot I missed the expiration date on my GWL of 6/18/12. Thankfully I noticed it yesterday, so I was still within the 30days expired grace period to get a temporary renewal.

Had no problem in Gwinnett (other than long lines), and the lady didn't bat an eye when I asked for the temporary renewal while I was reapplying. Cost me only a $1, no grief added. :D

Hopefully based on some other folks experience lately, I hope to have my new GWL in hand by 8/1 or before. <fingers crossed>

281 - 296 of 296 Posts