Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

Tech Student Recounts Her Armed Robbery in Home Park and Feels Sorry Attackers

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  dhaller 
#1 ·
http://nique.net/opinions/2017/11/03/the-one-where-we-got-mugged-at-gunpoint/

We read Clery Acts emails and may know someone who got mugged, but like most crime victims, we question the probability of it happening to us.
Two friends and I left a party at 10:50 p.m. on Labor Day and walked down Ethel Street. I followed Sam and Katie (names have been changed) back to their house across Fourteenth, staying in well-lit areas and conscious of our surroundings.
We turned from Ethel onto Mecaslin and were half a block down when the car approached the corner behind us, pulling past the stop sign and pausing in the intersection. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up, but I played it off as humor. I turned to Sam and Katie and said, “We’ve got company,†like a line from a
bad movie.
The car doors flew open and two men in dark hoodies came running at us. I saw the silhouette of a semi-automatic in their hands and did the most stereotypical horror movie damsel-in-distress thing possible.
Flashing blue lights appeared five minutes after. A GTPD officer listened as we recounted the incident, stumbling over the suspects’ descriptions for the Clery Act alert.
The Clery Act alert reported no injuries but I’ve got an ugly scar on my knee and I flinch whenever I’m walking outside and see a stranger coming or going my way. Getting mugged was a small blip of a tragedy compared to worse in Atlanta, but it changed my concept of safety and left odd impulses in its wake.
I also internalized a weird compassion for the two men who came at us, because that neighborhood in East Atlanta was in terrible shape.
Holy S*%&!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
http://www.police.gatech.edu/sites/default/files/documents/crimealerts/robbery09042017.pdf

Clery
Act
Safety
Alert
Off Campus Armed Robbery
Incident Date/Time:
September 4, 2017, at approximately 10:55 p.m.
Incident Location:
Ethel Street at Mecaslin Street in the Home Park
neighborhood
Incident Description:
Two Georgia Tech students and one Georgia State
University student were walking towards their residence in Home Park when
they were approached by the suspects. One of the suspects displayed a
handgun and demanded the victims' property. The victims complied
and the
males were last seen leaving the area in a dark colored sedan headed north
towards Fourteenth Street. There were no injuries reported.
Descriptions of Suspects:
Suspect One
Male
Maroon colored shirt
Light colored pants
Armed with a handgun
S
uspect Two
Male
Suspect Vehicle:
Dark colored sedan
Status of Investigation:
This incident is being investigated by the Atlanta
Police Department. Report any information regarding this and other criminal
incidents to Crime Stoppers Atlanta at
-
-
TI
PS (8477)
See Something, Say Something
Report any information regarding this and other criminal incidents to the
Georgia Tech Police Department (GTPD) by calling
-
-
or by
emailing
crimetips@police.gatech.edu
In addition, you can help GTPD and
the community fight crime. Don't look the other way or ignore
suspicious
activity. If you see something that prompts concern, say something
and notify GTPD immediately.
Edit: Here is the other robbery she speaks about: http://www.police.gatech.edu/sites/default/files/documents/crimealerts/robbery09142017.pdf

Here is a news report: http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/georgia-tech-georgia-state-students-robbed-in-home-park

#4 ·
I also internalized a weird compassion for the two men who came at us, because that neighborhood in East Atlanta was in terrible shape.
I wonder how many micro orgasms she had.

#6 ·
Why can they report the color of the car, but not the color of the attacker?
This has been a pet peeve of mine for a while. I mean it's not racist to use the descriptor. I've caught the AJC doing it, the student newspaper at GA Southern(I think, don't quote me), etc.

What bothers me is LE agencies doing so.

#8 ·
I cannot figure out what she is trying to convey. Seems that she is saying she got her badge of honor for victimhood. She has a scar on her knee so she gets stars and palm leaves. Or something like that?

Nemo

#14 ·
Only a liberal would feel sorry for someone who attacked them. A conservative might feel sorry for a person living on the street, but that compassion ends when the person attacks. That person wasn't stealing a loaf of bread out of an open car trunk, just to try to survive another day. That might be somewhat understandable.

#15 ·
I few years before her time there, but a Tech student was murdered in East Atlanta, oh, I want to say 4-5 years ago (around the time the farmer's market started there). Similar scenario - kid walking home after a night out, but this time it was some thug out to make his bones.

It's gentrifying, so folks forget, but you're crazy if you walk anywhere south of I-20 unarmed, especially at night.

(Three black youths even robbed a few families playing in Ormewood Park around noon a few years ago. Pretty unsettling.)

DH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.