Teacher School Zone Question

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by ntech, Jun 13, 2007.

1. ntech

ntech Member

Hey guys, I am brand new to your forum. I would first like to say how much I have enjoyed reading all of your posts. I have learned a lot in the short time I have been reviewing this site.

I currently work as a teacher at a public school. I have a valid GFL. There are no gun ranges around my residence to practice firing my Glock. However there are ranges close by my school. It is my wish to be able to transport my gun in my car to work. After work I would like to drive directly to the range in order to practice firing.

This is the scenario: I will have my glock unloaded and locked within a box in the trunk of my car. I will then leave my locked weapon in the trunk of my car in the school parking lot. I will go to my classroom, unarmed, and teach as I usually do. Is this considered breaking the law?

2. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

It appears that what you are proposing would be legal to you as a teacher with a valid GFL. It appears that you don't have to unload your gun. It looks like you can leave a loaded glock in your glove box everyday as long as the glovebox locks. Remember, the exception appears only to apply at the school you work at but no other.

http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?t ... tion=127.1

3. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Now for trunks...

I'm unsure if the trunk is a "locked compartment" or if you'd need to have them locked in something seperate inside of the locked trunk.

Hopefully, other board members will chime in on this one. :D

edit: I just reread the statute one more time and it looks like the box needs to lock if you are going to have it in the trunk.

4. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

If I were you I'd probably just put my glock in the locked glovebox.

5. ntech

ntech Member

Thanks for the quick response! My glove compartment does lock, so I figure that it would constitute as a "locked container".

I do have a case that can be locked with a regular key lock for my Remington 870 shotgun. I suppose placing the rifle/shotgun enclosed in a locked case, in the trunk would be sufficient?

6. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

No problem, I'm glad I can be of assistance. I'm not a lawyer, LEO, or judge though so use my advice at your own risk. 8)

As for the trunk part...I'm still confused to be honest...not sure if putting the guns in a locked trunk is enough or if they have to be locked in a seperate container inside of the trunk to be legal.

I am pretty confident about the pistol in the lockable glovebox though.

Like I said, expect other to chime in soon.

BTW, welcome to the board.

7. ntech

ntech Member

Basically, the two things that exempt me from this restriction is a valid GFL, and being a teacher at that particular school. I assume this exemption only applies to the school that I teach, as you said.

8. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

That's the way I interpret it.

1) Work for the school (and not be a student if at a college or technical school).

2) Have a valid GFL.

3) Store the guns in accordance with the law.

9. ntech

ntech Member

I have another question for you GAGunOwner...In another post where a teacher posted an identical question, you gave a different answer to him than what I received. Is there a new law that has recently passed that changes the school zone possession code?

The link is below:
    http://georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1100

10. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Wow, it is interesting to see what you've written in the past. :shock: Thanks for calling me on this. My postings on that thread were from 9 months ago. Participating in this forum is a constant learning process. Is my credibility on the topic ruined? :oops:

However, I still advise you not to tell anyone at the school that you have a gun in your car even though it is legal, but you know that. And no, the law has not changed recently.

I was corrected later on in that thread by jrm. He is a lawyer. I was confused as to what "otherwise authorized to carry" meant at the time.

I though it was referring to...

...within the statute, but the board lawyers have corrected me and insist that it means authorization from outside of the statute (the GFL).

Also, I've been looking at teaching positions recently so I've been reading the statute more carefully.

Thanks for correcting me. :righton:

11. ntech

ntech Member

Do you still believe my original scenario is legal? I understand there is a bit of speculation concerning exactly what "authorization" entails.

(17) Teachers and other school personnel who are otherwise authorized to possess or carry weapons

The thing that bothers me is, is that authorization through school officials or the GFL? I presume you are leaning more towards the GFL as proper authorization.

If my GFL is indeed sufficient authorization, there is no way I am going to tell anybody about my firearm. :wink:

12. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Now, I believe that it means the GFL so I'm pretty confident that you are legal; others will chime in soon, I hope.

13. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

If you got permission from a school official to have a weapon for educational purposes, etc. is wouldn't make sense to force you to keep it locked in the car. This is why I feel that the GFL is the authorization you need to keep a gun locked in your car.

14. ntech

ntech Member

I see now, one exemption applies to an instructional classroom activity that may involve a firearm:

(6) A person who has been authorized in writing by a duly authorized official of the school to have in such person's possession or use as part of any activity being conducted at a school building, school property, or school function a weapon which would otherwise be prohibited by this Code section. Such authorization shall specify the weapon or weapons which have been authorized and the time period during which the authorization is valid;

The other exemption applies to a teacher or school employee that has a firearm locked in a box or glove compartment of his/her car in a school parking lot:

(17) Teachers and other school personnel who are otherwise authorized to possess or carry weapons, provided that any such weapon is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle.

The one thing that bothers me is they just can't directly state that a GFL is considered authorization for having a weapon locked in your car in a school parking lot if you are a teacher. That would just be too easy!

15. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

As a side note, it appears (from plainly reading the statute) that if you were buddy-buddy with the principal (or whoever the appropriate school official is) and he/she gave you written permission to carry your glock on your person for self-defense while teaching, it would be legal. Good luck on getting that however, LOL.

16. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Another side note,
    I actually had a middle school teacher (public school) who was a Civil War buff who brought a real, functioning, muzzle loader to class with a bayonet. This was less than 10 years ago. I also had a teacher in high school (public again) that had many non-firearm weapons in his class for educational purposes.

17. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

How many people think that the bolded "or" above was supposed to be a "for?"

Do you think it was an intentional or unintentional type-o? Did a pro-gun legislator sneek the "f" out without anyone noticing? Maybe the code section was copied wrong on this website? I do not know.

With an "f" it would only allow weapons for educational purposes, without the "f" it looks like carrying for self-defense could be authorized.

Sheesh!!! :x

18. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I think it is supposed to be "or," without the "f."

19. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Wow! :shock: I hope nobody completely humiliates me like this! :oops: I don't think GaGunOwner is going to be able to show his face around here anymore! :lol:

20. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I am humiliated :oops: by this but like I said reading this site has been a learning process. I have come a long way in understanding GA's laws...and I think anyone who participates here will too. I'd be so ignorant without this website. I think I explained the reasoning behind my mistake in this thread fairly well.

Unfortunately, for you guys, I'm not going anywhere. :wink: