Taxes and reelection

Discussion in 'Off-topic Political' started by Malum Prohibitum, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Best Law School political commentary (from a Tax Professor)
    “In the 1950’s, the top marginal rate was 90%.
    In 1962, JFK cut the top marginal rate to 70%. The Democrats were re-elected in a landslide in 1964.
    In 1981, Reagan cut the top marginal rate to 50%. He was re-elected in a landslide.
    In 1986, Reagan cut the top marginal rate to 28%. Vice President Bush Sr. was elected easily in 1988.
    In 1990, Bush Sr. raised the top marginal rate to 33%. He lost to Bill Clinton in 1992.
    In 1993, Clinton raised the top marginal rate to 39.5%. The Republicans took Congress in 1994.
    In 2003, Bush Jr. cut the top marginal rate to 35%. He was re-elected.
    Does anyone notice a pattern here?â€
    Another gem:
    “For the coming fiscal year, revenues are $2.1 trillion, expenditures are $3.2 trillion. Would you invest in a company like this?â€

2. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

You're saying I have a choice?

3. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

This. I wish I had a choice to not invest in a failing company.

4. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

Well we really don't have a choice, the company is us....but we do have a vote.

5. JeF4y

JeF4y New Member

You do... Move... Best bet (seriously) is China IMHO.

6. EJR914

Yes, but I only get one vote, its just not enough to effect the kind of change that I want to see in this country. :p :p :p

Also, the income tax WAS supposed to be voluntary when it first came out to fund a war. Somehow our lovely government passed income tax as voluntary, and with everything else, with everything passed that looks voluntary, they found out a way to make involuntary when they ratified the 16th amendment in 1913, created a bloated ridiculous system to determine taxes, then created an over-bearing bureaucracy to oversee the originally "voluntary" tax, and then started sending people to prison when they didn't pay what the government told them they had to. Without our current income tax system, our federal government could have never become the obese, fat, disgusting spectacle that it is today.

Read more: The Federal Income Tax — Infoplease.com http://www.infoplease.com/askeds/federa ... z1BhOt4958

7. EJR914

Its tempting, but I don't know any Mandarin, yet. :p

My father's side of the family came here in the early 1700's from Scotland, some fought and died in ever major war or conflict this country has ever seen up until WWII and the Korean Conflict. I'm interested in a restoration. I'm not interested in giving up, rolling over, and moving to another country.

My family has been here too long, and has spilled way too much sweat and blood on this soil for me to simply give up on my country and move. I just can't give up, it would be like spitting on their memories and their hard work.

I was born here in this country, and God-willing I will also die here in this country. I have no intentions of moving anywhere.

8. JeF4y

JeF4y New Member

That's okay, most of them speak fluent English!

I'm with you... So I'll keep investing in getting this pig to fly once again. =)

9. EJR914

Well that's a good point. Guess I'll see you guys later. It was nice knowing you. :shattered: