Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Officials say Merino, 34, would take an illegal immigrants’ identification information, file their taxes and keep all the money for himself.
Makes no sense... If they're illegal how did they get the identification number in the first place? Reminds me of the illegals in Calhoun stealing the names of the deceased and requesting documents the same day they were buried hoping to beat the GOV before they list the person as dead.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
CoffeeMate said:
:-k
...undocumented workers...
...tax refunds...
...tax refunds...

:faint:
look at the upside.. At leats someone is getting money back from the gov :D

·
Junior Butt Warmer
46,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TippinTaco said:
CoffeeMate said:
:-k
...tax refunds...
...tax refunds...

:faint:
look at the upside.. At leats someone is getting money [s:30luam95]back[/s:30luam95] from the gov :D
Our gov't bleeding money it doesn't have (to include "refunding" money it never collected) is not an upside IMHO.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
You do realize that you have to pay taxes to get a refund, right? Further, approximately 1/2 of the illegal population pays income taxes...

·
Junior Butt Warmer
46,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
three se7ens said:
You do realize that you have to pay taxes to get a refund, right? Further, approximately 1/2 of the illegal population pays income taxes...
These folks are billed as undocumented workers, which means they aren't paying taxes. So what exactly was "refunded"?

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
well money has to be coming form some where if this guy is getting refunds from the GOV for the illegal worker. As far as my comment I was being sarcastic, I for one have been against illegal immigration from day one.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
The FAIR TAX stops all this!!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
CoffeeMate said:
These folks are billed as undocumented workers, which means they aren't paying taxes. So what exactly was "refunded"?
No, it merely means they did not arrive in the US through legal means.

Between one-half and three-quarters of undocumented immigrants pay federal and state income taxes, Social Security taxes, and Medicare taxes. And all undocumented immigrants pay sales taxes (when they buy anything at a store, for instance) and property taxes (even if they rent housing).

According to the 2005 Economic Report of the President, undocumented immigrants working “‘on the books’…contribute to the tax rolls but are ineligible for almost all Federal public assistance programs and most major Federal-state programs.†The report also notes that immigrants in general “contribute money to public coffers by paying sales and property taxes (the latter are implicit in apartment rents).â€

citation

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
CoffeeMate said:
three se7ens said:
Guess I need to go back and read it again.... I assumed that the workers THOUGHT that they
were paying their taxes.... THRU this guy and the returns that he was "filing" (in the round file I'm sure)
and then keeping the money that they THOUGHT they were paying to the government...

I was gonna give the workers points for at least trying to do the right thing (some of it anyway)..
Dang...

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
One more thing that I should point out. The IRS has no involvement in immigration enforcement. Their policy stance is they do not care about immigration status so long as a worker is paying taxes. Illegal immigrants can apply for an ITIN (individual taxpayer identification number) that allows them to pay and file taxes under their name. It is NOT the same as a SSN though, and does not allow them to receive federal or state benefits. It only identifies them for tax purposes(and some banks allow that number to be used to open an account).

The guy in the article was an illegal immigrant himself, filing returns on behalf of other illegals, and just keeping their returns. Just another petty con artist...

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
CoffeeMate said:
three se7ens said:
Illegal immigrants can apply for an ITIN (individual taxpayer identification number) that allows them to pay and file taxes under their name.
Wouldn't that make them, oh I don't know... documented?
No. "undocumented" is just a PC way of saying illegal immigrant. The ITIN has nothing to do with immigration status, its just a tool the IRS uses to tax people without an SSN. The "missing documents" part is the lack of legal immigration documentation.

Its not just citizens the IRS is out to :censored: its everyone ;)

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Illegal workers or not, the IRS wants their money.

As an example of them always wanting their cut:
The IRS said:
Illegal activities. Income from illegal activities, such as money from dealing illegal drugs, must be included in your income on Form 1040, line 21, or on Schedule C or Schedule C-EZ (Form 1040) if from your self-employment activity.
http://www.irs.gov/publications/p17/ch12.html

·
Junior Butt Warmer
46,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dcannon1 said:
Illegal workers or not, the IRS wants their money.

As an example of them always wanting their cut:
The IRS said:
Illegal activities. Income from illegal activities, such as money from dealing illegal drugs, must be included in your income on Form 1040, line 21, or on Schedule C or Schedule C-EZ (Form 1040) if from your self-employment activity.
http://www.irs.gov/publications/p17/ch12.html
Which seems to run counter to the Fifth Amendment.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Merino is also in the United States illegally. The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement has placed a hold on him for possible deportation.
Possible? :shock: Should that even be a question? I wonder when our government officials are going to get the meaning of illegal.

·
I watch the watchers
12,886 Posts
budder said:
three se7ens said:
You do realize that you have to pay taxes to get a refund, right?
:rotfl:
I'm Personally acquainted with someone who paid +/- $400 in taxes yet is getting +/- $900 back this year.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts