Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my lovely bride with me yesterday when for the first time for both of us, we entered a Bass Pro Shop to only get a fishing pole - having recently got our fishing licenses online. Afterward, I wanted to drool over the pistol counter like you know most of us guys like to do, and my better half wanted to handle the TCP 738, a nice two-tone pistol.

She hinted enough for me not to miss it, and I knew it was gonna be hers when we walked out, and it was. She wanted something smaller than the Taurus PT140 I bought her. Although I'd rather her carry the .40, carrying a .380 is still much better than nothing. And I'm glad she does want to carry. Got some Hornady 90gr JHP for defense, and some 95gr FMJ for target practice. Now I just need to take some time to find a good holster for her. Thinking of maybe a pocket holster and a belly-band type holster for when she doesn't want to carry in a pocket.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I love mine. A very easy shooting pistol. I did have feed, ejection and magazine problems with mine but Taurus replaced the magazines and all works fine now. I figure one of my family will wind up taking it away from me and I'll have to get another one before long. Shoot it and enjoy. It's a very handy size. I think [s:18tvssau]you'll[/s:18tvssau] she'll be pleased. :D

·
Registered
347 Posts
:righton:

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I finally shot that puppy today. Definitely needs some breaking in. Had a stove-pipe on a 90gr Hornady XTP, and had 3 FTF with 95gr FMJ green box ammo. The FTF's may have been my fault - the magazine might not have been bumped in good enough, not sure though.

Don't like the recoil, it hurt my hands - but that could just be my arthritis. Smooth and easy trigger, but long pull, and a long reset. You need to let that sucker back out all the way before pulling again.

Good enough for a mouse gun, may need to polish the ramp.

Not knocking Taurus - had no failures at all from my PT140, love that gun. But with +P ammo that little .40 hurts my finger joints, too.

Funny thing, the 95gr FMJ target ammo seemed stouter on recoil than the 90gr Hornady XTP's.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
New discovery for you. My TCP will not digest Winchester White Box FMJ (these are the ones with the flat nose) at all. Made the mistake and bought a 100 box. I finally shot them all but it was jamming every 2 or 3 shots (got a lot of practice clearing jams though :lol: ). The Cheap Remington green box (FMJ or HP) feed with no problems whatsoever. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have put over 100 rounds of WWB through mine without any issues at all.......

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
beachwood2044 said:
I have put over 100 rounds of WWB through mine without any issues at all.......
Wow, and mine won't shoot them at all. Maybe I'll try them again after a few hundred more rounds through mine. I like to load the mags with 2 hollow points and then alternate FMJ, HP, FMJ, etc. The blunt nosed WWB should transfer more energy than the round nosed Remington that I'm using now. Just goes to show, you better try out your ammo before staking your life on it. :righton:

·
Registered
6 Posts
+1 on the TCP. I just bought one and like it. Of course it's my first gun though.....only issue was one time the bullet pushed slide lock up and held it open. I just flipped the switch down and kept shooting. SO says we need to try different bullets, but this was with target practice cheap bullets.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
My wife love shooting her TCP. :righton: No FTF or FTE to report so far.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
See, now I have a question? I have a 380 also that sits around but anyhow, somebody recommended only shooting FMJ for target and defense because of the 380 not offering enough penetration to begin with. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
lespaulplayer said:
See, now I have a question? I have a 380 also that sits around but anyhow, somebody recommended only shooting FMJ for target and defense because of the 380 not offering enough penetration to begin with. Thoughts?
If both feed reliably through your pistol, I would (and do) mix them in a magazine loading. HP, HP, FMJ, HP, FMJ, HP. This way I'm loaded for either one I might need. In theory a fat man wearing a leather jacket might stop a HP before it destroys vital organs. Penetration is less with HP than with FMJ but I don't know if it makes that much difference and I can't find a fat volunteer to test it on. Instinct says if you shoot them twice in the body and they don't react like you think they should, start aiming for the head. They might be wearing body armor.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
+2 on the TCP. My wife [s:xp3yoqsl]has[/s:xp3yoqsl] carries her TCP, and loves it. She's only put 70rds through it, but that will change this weekend. She's had a few FTF, but slight tap on the slide usually bumps it in. I won't trust anything without a minimum of 250 rds through it. I've heard Taurus getting some slack quite often, but after not having a single issue, in 800rds with my PT140, and considering it didn't get the first cleaning until the 600rd mark :oops: ......it's been a great gun. I bought it with the intention of carrying it everywhere, thus getting banged up (fell out of the car door more that once....ok, about a dozen times :shattered: ), thrown under the seat, drinks spilled on it. It's not the fanciest gun, but it puts a bullet downrange every time I've asked, period!

Don't tell my wife, but I've left my .40 at home on a few runs to the store, and took her TCP, just cause it's alot easier to carry. :roll:

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
mountainman444 said:
lespaulplayer said:
If both feed reliably through your pistol, I would (and do) mix them in a magazine loading. HP, HP, FMJ, HP, FMJ, HP. This way I'm loaded for either one I might need. In theory a fat man wearing a leather jacket might stop a HP before it destroys vital organs. Penetration is less with HP than with FMJ but I don't know if it makes that much difference and I can't find a fat volunteer to test it on. Instinct says if you shoot them twice in the body and they don't react like you think they should, start aiming for the head. They might be wearing body armor.
You don't need a fat guy with a leather jacket to test it on. In many circles, the .380ACP has developed a reputation as being a minimal self-defense caliber. I have found this is no more evident than with hollow point ammunition and the uber-short barreled weapons such as the P3AT, LCP, TCP, etc. I've gone through a lot of home-made ballistic gelatin to prove this to myself, and I'm convinced that to reliably achieve 11 - 12" of penetration in calibrated gel at distances out to 7 yards, FMJ is undoubtedly the way to go in these little guns. IMHO penetration is what it is all about, expansion is nice if and when it happens, but only combined with ample penetration. If the bullet is unable to get down inside and touch someone where it counts, it's effectiveness will likely be limited. Human targets do not just fall to the ground once shot unless shot placement is correct and the impacting bullets destroy vital organs and/or cause rapid blood loss.

Speaking only for myself, if I was going to carry one of these as my primary weapon, I'd stick with FMJ, based on both published test results and what I have seen with my own eyes. If you must carry hollow points (due to agency requirements for backup weapons, your own beliefs, etc.) do some research and purchase those that are known to penetrate as deeply as possible (12" would be ideal but can be tough to reach) while still expanding. The ideal would be deep penetration with full expansion, but the little 380ACP round in these tiny blow-back operated short barreled mouse guns can have a challenge accomplishing both goals. Hollow points that don't expand out of these little pistols typically penetrate nicely, but if this is typical of your hollow-point load, you might as well stick with FMJ.

Just my two cents......

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Few points to mention here. My wife (ParentsCanPack2) loves her TCP. She's a manager at a local reputable restaurant, and is able to carry it in the case, with no issues (or questions).

We've had issues as well with the WWB, mostly it catching the slide lock. Talked to the dealer (Farrel's) and he swapped it out for a new one. No issues with the WWB, or any other brand. (PM me if you want the details on what was issue with WWB)

Just for kicks, we fired 5 rds of Hornaday Critical Defense .380, into the tread, and into the sidewall of my old BF Goodrich, 32x12R17. The 3 shots into the sidewall penetrated just fine, the shots into the tread went through ply, into the belts, a few exit holes (small). That being said, I'd place the side wall of a mud tire, harder to penetrate than a Fat Dude in a Carhartt. IMO

I know of 2 Marine co-workers that carry .380. One has a Kahr 380 and the other the TCP (after watching my wife shoot hers) I figure with what they each know about weapons, if they trust it, I can trust it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've had some problems with my TCP: slide doesn't lock open after last round sometimes, FTF, and it ejects straight back onto my head. I even got a nice piece of hot brass right on my forehead that left a mark for a week. After that, I was kind of turned off. Nothing appealing about the possibility of losing an eye if I ever need to use it in a situation.

We've gone through plenty of rounds that we shouldn't be having this many issues. We're going to send it in to Taurus next week. I hope that they make it right, because I had planned on having it as a summer carry & already ordered a holster. :(

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,312 Posts
Regarding .380 penetration, I just did an experiment.
The media used was soaked-wet newspaper. Soft and mushy. A 16" tall stack of it.
I shot into it from about 2 feet, standing over the stack and firing straight down.

RESULTS (ranked in order from least penetration to the most penetration):

1-- BAYONET STAB--- 3.5 inches deep.

2-- .32 acp 70 gr. FMJ fired from a little Kel-Tec p32. ---- 5.0" deep.

3-- .380 Hollowpoint (Hornady Critical Defense 90 gr. FTX)--- 6.0" deep and expanded to about half-inch diameter.

4--- .380 FMJ, 90 grain round-nose FMJ --- 12" deep.

5-- .22LR fired from a rifle, 40 grain standard velocity ---- 15" deep! (that surprised me)

6--- .40 S&W 180-grain flat-front FMJ slug, easily penetrated the full 16" stack of paper and exited with power to spare.

Conclusion: A good .380 hollowpoint will probably penetrate "enough" in most situations against most opponents (it beats a big knife stab and .32 FMJ rounds!) but it is way behind what a FMJ .380 (or any larger caliber) would do for penetration.

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
gunsmoker said:
Regarding .380 penetration, I just did an experiment.
The media used was soaked-wet newspaper. Soft and mushy. A 16" tall stack of it.
I shot into it from about 2 feet, standing over the stack and firing straight down.

RESULTS (ranked in order from least penetration to the most penetration):

1-- BAYONET STAB--- 3.5 inches deep.

2-- .32 acp 70 gr. FMJ fired from a little Kel-Tec p32. ---- 5.0" deep.

3-- .380 Hollowpoint (Hornady Critical Defense 90 gr. FTX)--- 6.0" deep and expanded to about half-inch diameter.

4--- .380 FMJ, 90 grain round-nose FMJ --- 12" deep.

5-- .22LR fired from a rifle, 40 grain standard velocity ---- 15" deep! (that surprised me)

6--- .40 S&W 180-grain flat-front FMJ slug, easily penetrated the full 16" stack of paper and exited with power to spare.

Conclusion: A good .380 hollowpoint will probably penetrate "enough" in most situations against most opponents (it beats a big knife stab and .32 FMJ rounds!) but it is way behind what a FMJ .380 (or any larger caliber) would do for penetration.
It only takes 3" of penetration on an average person to contact most vital organs. A super fat guy with sweaters and a leather coat would still only need about 5" to damage the thoracic cavity beyond ANY surgical repair. When people start talking "12-16" of penetration I just smile and ask who they are aiming at behind the target.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts