Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the range today and fired 4 of my pistols. One is the Taurus TCP 738 Stainless.

After about 50 rounds, I started getting failures to eject about every other round. This was using Winchester White Box FMJ.

Maybe it's a little sensitive when it gets dirty?

If you carry this gun for self-defense, make sure it's clean as a whistle!

On the good side, for such a short barrel gun with tiny sights, it's surprisingly accurate.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
Really? That's the second time I've heard that. I went out with my wife and shot 100 through it, and it worked like clockwork. Not one FTF or FTE.

We shot 50 WWB and 50 Atl Arms out of it, and it worked perfectly.

I may go try to take it out sometime and see if I can get it to FTF or FTE while dirty.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up. I keep her gun very clean, though. If we shoot it, I bring it directly home and clean it anyway.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Phil1979 said:
After about 50 rounds, I started getting failures to eject about every other round. This was using Winchester White Box FMJ.

At last try mine still won't feed and fire White Box reliably (so I just don't buy them anymore). I intentionally let mine get real powdered up to see when it would jam because of it. It still hasn't failed except with the WWB ammo. Other than that I love the little pistol.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mountainman444 said:
Phil1979 said:

At last try mine still won't feed and fire White Box reliably (so I just don't buy them anymore). I intentionally let mine get real powdered up to see when it would jam because of it. It still hasn't failed except with the WWB ammo. Other than that I love the little pistol.
Whew! It's good to know it was just the ammo, and not the pistol. Mine didn't like the sharp pointed Hornady either, though the number of problems with Hornady was a lot less than with the WWB.

I now have it loaded with the more round nosed 102gr Golden Sabers.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
My TCP won't shoot Speer Lawman fmj ammo. I've shot everything from Remington UMC to Russian Tulammo without any ftf's. But no matter how clean & oiled my TCP is it just won't shoot the Lawman rounds. Like you said, I stay away from them and shoot what my gun likes instead. Go figure, I guess each gun is different.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
But isn't it strange that the exact same guns don't like different brands of ammo. This just proves you better run some of your carry rounds through the pistol before you stake your life on it. It would be sad to figure out yours didn't like a certain brand of expensive personal protection rounds when you really needed personal protection.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
mountainman444 said:
But isn't it strange that the exact same guns don't like different brands of ammo. This just proves you better run some of your carry rounds through the pistol before you stake your life on it. It would be sad to figure out yours didn't like a certain brand of expensive personal protection rounds when you really needed personal protection.
:righton: I shot 200 rounds of Federal Hydra Shok LE jhp thru mine. It was expensive (about half the cost of the gun) but as you said I had to know that I could rely on them to go bang when I was in danger.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts