Taurus Raging Judge - Axed Already

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by BWCustoms, Jan 24, 2011.

1. BWCustoms

BWCustoms New Member

Booo - I really wanted one of these because so obnoxiously big. But alas...

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/

[​IMG]

2. Match10

Match10 Active Member

Fatal flaw in this weapon.... No metallic cartridge is available, unlike the Judge, which is a 45 Long Colt that can accept .410

3. mtber1172

mtber1172 Member

That is just obnoxiously cool. :righton:

4. hkdave

hkdave New Member

I think I would have bought one it is so ridiculous

5. shamalama

shamalama New Member

Some are saying that Taurus never had any real intention of building this thing, merely wanting to steal S&W thunder of their new .410/.45LC ---AND--- .45ACP revolver.

6. BWCustoms

BWCustoms New Member

Yea thats what its looking like.

I doubt a company as rich as Taurus had lawyers dumb enough not to realize this gun would not be legal without a special license. :|

7. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Agreed! Don't you have to run a prototype through ATF before you can even announce it?

8. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

A SBS does not require a special license, merely a registration.

9. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Are these going to be available for people that want to register them as a SBS?

10. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Sort of. From the quote he gave: Editor Note: Taurus has removed this firearm from their booth and has elected to not make it at this time. The rifle version will be available through Rossi at some point.

You just have to Form 1 it...

11. Hunley

Hunley Active Member

They need to make a 12 ga./500 S&W/50 Beowulf/50 BMG revolver.

I'd buy it. Ya know, for carrying in the woods and stuff.

12. mygunstoo

mygunstoo Active Member

Then I supposed that the Ruger Charger .22 pistol is a SBR then. :?

13. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

I believe the rifle version by Rossi is actually a lever action .410 they tried to make as a pistol called the "Trail Judge" it's not the same gun.

http://gunnuts.net/2011/01/21/shot-show-shotgun-update/

14. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

Not at all.

15. mygunstoo

mygunstoo Active Member

And why not? The Taurus revolver has a pistol grip as the Charger does, the revolver barrel is even shorter than the one on the Charger and, the Taurus has a handgun "receiver". The Charger has a rifle receiver.

So I can not understand why the BATF just decided to call the Taurus gun a SBS. Other than for obvious reasons.

16. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Barrel larger than .50 cal?

17. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

You can't import a firearm in NFA configuration for sale to the general public. Are these directly imported from Brazil?

18. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

The Taurus is a shotgun. There are no cartridges other than shotgun shells that will work in this pistol. That and the rifling are the only things that allowed the Judge to skirt the SBS law. The receiver has nothing to do with the charger, it's the lack of the stock that makes it a pistol. It's the same reason that you can make AR and AK pistols even though they were originally "rifle" receivers. That being said you can't convert a rifle to a pistol you have to purchase it that way. The only exception to this are the Thompson Contender guns.

19. ber950

ber950 Active Member

When I saw the announcement of the Raging Judge I had two thoughts. First was that thing has to be huge. Second was just what caliber is a 28 gauge? Did a little research and found out it is .55. That told me right off that it wasn't going to work. Its over fifty caliber. That means it has to be a shotgun or a destructive device.
    Needless to say I wasn't surprised when it was pulled. I wasn't going to jump on a bunch of boards and start telling ATF their job, but I knew it was just a matter of time. :sly:

20. mygunstoo

mygunstoo Active Member

So if you put some rifling to the Judge 28ga. then it would be a handgun instead of a SBS?