Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taurus has an interesting statement in the current owners' manual.
My manual is for the PT 111 or 140 Millennium G2, but it looks like this notice was written for all Taurus firearms' manuals.

It says +P ammo is allowed in six named models of .38 special revolvers:
Models 85, 850, 851, 85 Polymer frame, 82, and 817.

For all semi-auto pistols in 9mm Luger, 38 Super, or .45 ACP, +P ammo is also approved.

Any so-called +P+ ammo is NOT approved, in any Taurus gun, because SAAMI does not have published pressure standards for this "+P+" designation.

I assume the approval of +p ammo is for modern guns, manufactured after SAAMI first recognized and standardized +p ammo in certain calibers.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Taurus also recommends that you don't practice with +P ammunition, as it accelerates wear and tear on firearms.
They say +P ammo can even "exceed the margin of safety built into many firearms."

(My comment: Oh, Really? And you still approve it??? WHY? Isn't that reckless advice, Taurus? Or maybe +p ammo isn't really going to exceed the safety margin in YOUR guns after all?)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Taurus uses boilerplate language on +P ammunition. +P+ is not a SAAMI standard and Taurus rightfully warns you from using it. Certain calibers, notably .380 ACP, do not have a SAAMI standard +P load. Industry standards exist for reasons, especially in designs subject to catastrophic failure. +P does accelerate wear so standard maintenance intervals are no longer accurate. If you use +P ammo regularly and do not inspect for wear well in advance of the normal schedule, you can be subject to catastrophic failure, possibly resulting in personal injury. You have been warned.

tl;dr. If you use non-standard loads and blow up your gun, it's your own damn fault.

·
Swollen Member
11,969 Posts
Taurus-guns so awesome they fire themselves.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Taurus has made some great guns and some outright junk guns. The 24/7 model shown above fits in the latter category. The PT-92 series (Beretta clone) is one of their great guns. Their new Millenium G2 gun seems to be a very good value-priced gun. So far we haven't seen the design or quality control flaws that plagued Taurus for a long while. I had a PT-738 where the rail split from the subframe. Fortunately I noticed it during a cleaning and not with a slide to the face. Taurus swapped it for a new one that worked flawlessly.

·
Swollen Member
11,969 Posts
Taurus—the official gun of Michael J Fox.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts