Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
I used to have a PT140.

It was a pretty good gun, but I was never able to get the accuracy I wanted from it. I'm sure that this was user error rather than a problem with the gun itself, but I've since moved on to a full-size carry that I greatly prefer.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Greetings,

I have one. In fact, my wife is using it and she loves it. In fact it is her favorite gun to shoot...because of the BIG recoil (her words). It is a .45acp and it snaps in your hands for sure. However, that snap made her practice her grip a lot and now she can shoot well with any handgun.

Thank you

·
Banned
7,204 Posts
Very reliable gun. I had one but sold it a little over a year later. I had a PT-111.

I never had any problems with it function wise.

The trigger was smooth and light, BUT i didn't like how far the trigger pull was. It seemed like a mile before the gun fired.

The trigger was why i sold mine. I felt it had a big impact on how accurate i was with it.

I practiced and practiced with it, but never got the accuracy that i get out of my 1911 officer's right out of the box.

I'm a single action fan. That was the only double action weapon i had and the last.

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
JiG said:
Very reliable gun. I had one but sold it a little over a year later. I had a PT-111.

The trigger was smooth and light, BUT i didn't like how far the trigger pull was. It seemed like a mile before the gun fired.

The trigger was why i sold mine. I felt it had a big impact on how accurate i was with it.

I practiced and practiced with it, but never got the accuracy that i get out of my 1911 officer's right out of the box.

I'm a single action fan. That was the only double action weapon i had and the last.
That's about how I felt.

HUGE trigger pull. Impossible to be terribly accurate.

Last Taurus I'll ever own, just based on that.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks like I'm picking up a PT111 Mill Pro Sat morning. Nick's has them for $309 with blued slide and $319 with stainless slide.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The straight eight sights take a little getting used to and have a slightly different sight picture than most people are used to, but I have used them before and they aren't much different than the sights that my PPK/S had.

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
Adam5 said:
It looks like I'm picking up a PT111 Mill Pro Sat morning. Nick's has them for $309 with blued slide and $319 with stainless slide.
Get blued.

I left mine slightly exposed to weather once, didn't dry it off completely, and it rusted. :evil:

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was leaning that way, primarily because I'm not sure how I like the look of the two tone.

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
Adam5 said:
I was leaning that way, primarily because I'm not sure how I like the look of the two tone.
Didn't you shoot my 140 at the last shoot?

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
Strange that we have the same reviews of the Mil Pro. I could never get it to be consistently accurate either and the trigger pull was a mile long. Mine was gone within 3 trips to the range.

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
Bulldawg182 said:
Strange that we have the same reviews of the Mil Pro. I could never get it to be consistently accurate either and the trigger pull was a mile long. Mine was gone within 3 trips to the range.
Even after I was used to shooting the thing, best group I ever got was 6" at 10 yards.

First trip to the range with the 226... one big, ragged hole at 10 yards. Same ammo, same target, same range even.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
My Kahr PM9 certainly has it's downside and it's my least favorite gun of all I own. But, I can shoot the heck out of it and it groups tight and consistent. Not the most comfortable gun and its trigger pull is long.....but only 1/3 as long as Mil Pro was.

·
Banned
7,204 Posts
gsusnake said:
JiG said:

That's about how I felt.

HUGE trigger pull. Impossible to be terribly accurate.

Last Taurus I'll ever own, just based on that.
I wouldn't write Taurus off for that alone. I've got 3 other Taurus firearms and i like all three.

My PT-1911 I absolutely love. Other than the thin finish, I have nothing to complain about. Even then, when i bought it, i told myself, i'm gonna wear this gun out. I carry a Kimber for defense but the Taurus gets more rounds through it. It has had no problems, i'd trust my life to it.

My Raging Bull is great. I have a .45 colt that i load to low .454 speeds. It handles it without a problem. It's a "bull" for sure. With it's 8 3/8ths barrel, i hit what i am aiming for everytime.

I also have one of those (fairly) new Thunderbolts. This one was a bit of a pain at first (because it's new) in that it took a little smithing to get it to work reliably, but i love this rifle now. It's accurate as all get out and a hoot to shoot. The next gun in the same design costs at least 3x as much. A little smithing is nothing to me for a pump action .45 colt that i could afford. If i was going to spend another 1000.00 on another rifle, it wouldn't be a .45 colt, it'd be an M14.

I wouldn't write Taurus off. Not one bit. They have their place. I like the brand. It fits my wallet better than any other brand out there. I've got a Bushmaster and Kimber which i paid bookoos for, but for the price, Taurus really can't be beat.

The one time i turned down a Taurus was buying my SAA. The only gun that fit my budget was a Ruger Vaquero. I never even gave one thought to a Taurus Gaucho.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I carry a Taurus 24/7 everyday and I trust it to go bang when I need it. The only time it didnt go bang is because of the cheap range ammo. I have at least 4K rounds through it now and never had a jam (it eats anything). I have only had 3 bad rounds and I wrote it off to the ammo not the gun.

Yes the trigger is a mile long and man after that first shot, things are alot better and shorter. I am looking for a G26 because of the size and trigger pull. If the trigger was shorter I may not be looking for the G26 as much.

Accuracy, I guess I am lucky as I have gotten used to that first "here to eternity" trigger pull! I can hold decent groups with it. For a close defense gun it is sure nice on the wallet . I wont be selling it as it has a purpose in my opinion. If I didnt like the G26 as much I may be looking for a smaller Taurus. I think its a great bang for the buck!

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
A friend had one. It jammed after every round.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
My second ever handgun purchase was a PT140. It failed to go into battery so much that it literally gave me nightmares. I traded it and didn't even think about Taurus again till I heard about the PT1911.

My PT1911 had teething troubles, but seems to be GTG now. The extractor was replaced as well as the junky Taurus mags. I will give a big thumbs up to Taurus customer service. The phone rep was very polite, asked many questions before determining that warranty service was needed, and then turnaround time from my home-to repair-and back was 20 days.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts