Taurus Judge

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by albundy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. albundy

albundy New Member

Has anyone fired this with .410 and 45 rounds? Looks like an interesting pistol would love to hear some feed back on this pistol.

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

.410 pistol

I have no idea what a "Taurus Judge" is, but I have recently fired a .410 pistol, a double-barrel derringer with barrels about 4" long. I figured it would be a good snake pistol. It is. It's not good for anything else, though. The spread of the shot is very wide-- about 12" at 5 feet. That's great for shooting a snake on the ground a few steps in front of you. But at 10 yards, the pellets will disperse over an area the size of a billboard, with each pellet hitting several inches away from its nearest neighbor.

Also, due to the short barrel, the pellets fly at low velocity. At 10 feet, fired from the pistol, they would not penetrate more than 1/8 inch into a piece of plywood. When fired from a normal-length shotgun barrel at that distance, they blow completely through the plywood and make a very nasty-looking hole.

Recoil was not bad. Similar to firing a .44 magnum from an N-framed S&W revolver with a 6" barrel. It gets your attention, but it won't make the gun fly out of your hand or knock you over.

3. artz

artz New Member

4. albundy

albundy New Member

i like the review and pics

thanks

5. msmith304

msmith304 New Member

I would be concerned about the shot wearing down the rifling in the barrel. Has anyone researched this?

6. zerogspacecow

zerogspacecow New Member

Wow, this thread was old as hell. No, I don't have anything productive to add to it.

7. Dawn2Dusk

Dawn2Dusk New Member

Thoughts on the Judge

For Personal Protection Against Thugs

It's a BEAST of a gun, very tough to conceal and the .410 isn't very inefficient when it comes to power against human sized targets. I think it's mostly loaded with "3" - 000 buckshot and that pattern is so thin that hitting anything with any accuracy at 20 yards is basically blind luck. I don't mention the .45 Colt part of this gun's ability b/c I think if you simply wanted a .45 Colt chambering then there are numerous better options out there that you'll find to be much more accurate.

For Personal Protection Against Critters In The Georgia Woods

I think it might be a pretty good gun. The .410 with #6 birdshot will wrap a diamond back up and send him to the pearly gates to shake his rattle maker for St. Peter. Much easier to get through tough terrain with a large pistol than it is with even a small shotgun. Holster the Judge on your hip and strike out for new hunting spots and such, as it leaves your hands free to help manuver around brush, etc.. If walking in hog infested palmettos, maybe you would rather alternate a 1/5 oz slug and "000" buck shot loadings. Yeah, it might not kill one instantly but I think you could turn the charge of a sow pretty quick!

8. Dawn2Dusk

Dawn2Dusk New Member