Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
72,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know none of you are police officers (well, not most of you).

When is it appropriate for a police officer to point and threaten to shoot a taser at you?

Whenever he feels like it? When you have been speeding 5 over in a 55 mph zone? When he tells you that you are under arrest and you tell him you hope he packed a lunch, or, I'd like to see you try?

What about when he comes to arrest you, but you do not know it yet? Is it ok to - surprise - point the taser at you and then start screaming at you to turn around and place your hands behind your back, when you have no idea why he is here pointing the taser at you? Does your answer depend upon what the charges are of which you have been accused?

When is it appropriate for your to point a taser at a police officer?

Discuss.

·
Ninjaneering Computers
2,745 Posts
Since this part applies to me:
I know none of you are police officers (well, not most of you).
...I can't say that I know.

I do know that if it isn't part of basic LEO training, it absolutely should be.

·
Super Moderator
72,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since this part applies to me:

...I can't say that I know.

I do know that if it isn't part of basic LEO training, it absolutely should be.
Have any feelings on it, one way or another?

Let's say I take out a warrant for your arrest. Should the officer point a taser at your chest and start screaming at you before you even know why he is there?

·
NRA Certified Instructor
6,377 Posts

Let's say I take out a warrant for your arrest. Should the officer point a taser at your chest and start screaming at you before you even know why he is there?
Opinion only.
If I don't even know why he is there it means I have done nothing wrong. therefore he has no reason to arrest me for anything. so no he should not be pointing his taser or even yelling at me.

If I had done anything to be arrested for then I would know why he was there. If he is pointing his taser at me then there is a reason he is afraid of me. That could be because of my openly carried pistol and may even include the reason he is there to arrest me.

I have a feeling I may know where this is coming from. It has something to do with a bill on DV you were adamant about trying to get people on board trying to get it stopped. I have not gone into the thanks JRM thread after the first day so I just assumed this bill and your case were related. I know big mistake. This assumption may also be an even bigger mistake.Since I started off with "Opinion Only" I really have no clue as to what you are after.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
29,451 Posts
If "3" is the magic number that justifies having a taser pointed at you by a cop,
(and just assume it is....)

I say there are multiple scenarios where number three could be reached --some of which do not require any participation on your part or any interaction with the cop.

In your case:

ONE -- Somebody accused you of a crime of personal violence, and that was the reason a cop came looking to arrest you. The arrest warrant was already signed, wasn't it? So it's not like this cop was going to have a discussion and consider your response to the charges and then he would evaluate whether there was still probable cause even after you had your say. Since a judge signed an arrest warrant, the cop was going to execute it. (Right?)

TWO:
You are known to carry a gun, and even if the cop didn't know that was your habit and routine, did the cop see that you had a gun on you at this particular time? I think the presence of a gun is another point in favor of the cop covering you with a taser and doing a felony type arrest.

Joint Hand Textile Sleeve Gesture

THREE: You were probably bigger and stronger looking than the cop. Meaning, IF you resisted, then the cop would have less time to react and fewer options to deal with you.

Joint Bodybuilder Arm Shoulder Muscle

·
Super Moderator
72,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I don't even know why he is there it means I have done nothing wrong. therefore he has no reason to arrest me for anything. so no he should not be pointing his taser or even yelling at me.

If I had done anything to be arrested for then I would know why he was there.

Ha!

That's funny. I don't think you really believe what you wrote. I certainly don't.

·
NRA Certified Instructor
6,377 Posts

·
Registered
8,998 Posts
I'm OK with an officer pointing his taser anywhere anytime. Not ever will it be a negative consequence to him. Part of his implied and actual immunity deal under the law. Be smart when dealing with an officer - you are outmatched. Escalation can be painful or fatal. The Feds will not step in on your behalf unless you meet certain demographic requirements, and after you are dead.

·
Ninjaneering Computers
2,745 Posts

When I was in high school, there was a saying - "Don't start nothin', won't be nothin'." My thoughts basically mirror that saying in that as long as I haven't demonstrated any physical aggressiveness towards the officer, that taser should stay in its holster. If I tell the officer to "**** off", the taser should stay in its holster. If I start purposefully approaching the officer, then he can start escalating the situation.

Somehow, I don't think that's how it works in reality. If it was, you wouldn't be asking this question.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
If Hollywood has taught me anything, the best time to use a taser is when someone really looks like they have to take a leak. 🤣

1 - 12 of 12 Posts