Target Stands

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by ntech, Sep 13, 2007.

1. ntech

ntech Member

I plan on doing some target practice at the Charlie Elliot WMA. They have an outdoor range which requires that you bring your own target stands. Can these stands be made at home? Or is it best to buy them? Does anybody know how I should go about getting some?

2. maggie

maggie New Member

I've seen people use banana boxes from Kroger, to 2x4's, to real estate signs, to pvc frames. They are big now on picking up your left over stuff.
    A month ago the range guy told me that the plan to keep a human on site most of the time. IF you plan on making a hole in ground for a stake, bring a hammer the ground this year, (no rain) is as hard as asphalt, a pipe to make a starter hole is also good idea. Observe the posted hours...!! Big fine.

3. tj2000

tj2000 Guest

Go to Home Depot and get one of those H frame sign holders for about $18 and it will hold up for a good while, I would also suggest that you buy a piece of the foam insulation board and mount it in the H frame so you can pin your paper targets on it. My :2cents:

4. Marikhal

Marikhal Guest

I made a crappy stand that didn't last 3 range visits. :(

I'm gonna have to make me something new... I guess I can go with some H frames from Hope Depot like you suggested - but I want something that I can set up to a realistic height (elevated 5ft, or so).

Blehhhghkhkhk!

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

On November 17?

6. moonchicken

moonchicken New Member

I got one of those "for sale" signs at home depot, and have used it on a couple of visits. The metal frame is tough enough not to bend significantly or break after a couple of direct fo-tay hits. 8)

ok, ok, I wasn't aiming at the frame itself, it's just fun to blast away a whole mag in a few seconds, haha

:lol:

7. ThetaReactor

ThetaReactor Active Member

Mine's PVC. The uprights are cheap 1x2s, and a couple of them have 22 caliber holes in 'em...

8. Marikhal

Marikhal Guest

That's what I need to do... make a PVC target stand!

9. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Check this out.

http://www.parmarng.org/freeidaho/AlSkDjFhG/index.html

I've made some of them, but they are a bit more of a pain than you might expect at a big shoot. I've ende dup with just a couple of basica PVC target stands with the 1x2 uprights to staple to. Nice & simple, but be sure to take spare parts & pieces with you to the range & a saw or something to cut the PVC with if you need to. Works great.

10. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Just keep lsu_nonleg away.

11. ntech

ntech Member

No, I planned on going sooner than that to familiarize myself with the range. I was wondering if everybody was going to shoot too on November 17. I am very interested in joining GCO and meeting all of you guys that day. Should I bring my G22?

12. budder

Absolutely! Bring everything you're willing to haul over!

13. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

+1

At the last shoot there, we had enough weapons to hold off a small army.

14. budder

I bet you could've held off a medium-sized one with bad aim, too!

15. Guest

Guest Guest

No joke, go to your local liquor store. They throw away card board cutouts of racecar drivers, mascots, etc all the time. Makes a GREAT one time FREE target / holder. Be sure to carry a stick or two to prop them up.

16. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Yup.

When I bring my whole damn arsenal with me this time, we'll have enough to equip a small army...

17. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:D

Neck shot with the m44...that was only like 7-10 yards out, but it was my first shot with the mosin. then i rapid fired 30 AK rounds and knocked it over.

18. tace

tace New Member

Damn! Beat me to it.

Yeap, he really doesn't like those PVC targets. :twisted:

19. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Just built a PVC target stand today.

Cost: ~$45

pics to follow when I get around to it.