target stand for WMA shooting range

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by fmlaw1, Oct 25, 2010.

1. fmlaw1

fmlaw1 Active Member

Read the rules at the Charlie Elliot DNR site. Now, any pointers on dimensions of a target stand? Seems like wood 2"x2" frame and legs would work.

Can the stand (at the ground) be made of PVC or something other than wood?

How high should the stand be off the ground?

Any helpful suggestions are welcome.

EDIT: changed to 2"x2" :oops:

2. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper New Member

Someone gave me an "official" stand they purchased from the welcome center at Charlie Elliott after they got done shooting there one year. The stand is made of 2 inch PVC tube with three way T adapters, and stands about six feet tall or so. You wrap cardboard around the stand in at least two places, so you can shoot up high or down lower. I use duct tape to secure the cardboard, and bring my own stapler or paper tape to tape my target to the cardboard.

The bottom crosspiece has two half inch holes drilled through it, and you hammer 12" aluminum gutter spikes through it and into the ground to hold it up. I suppose if you prefer you can make a leg system so it can free stand without the spikes.

Here is a photo that should give you some idea of what the completed product looks like. Note that it is very important that the stand be tall, so that any shots travel into the berm and not into the ground.

It actually works extremely well, nice and steady and a whole lot better than shooting at those political or real estate signs that you see many folks use, which I find tend to waver in the breeze. Once in a while, you crack a pipe or an elbow with a misplaced shot, but it is very easy to repair as long as you brought some pre-cut spare PVC.

3. drtybykr

drtybykr New Member

Here is what I use, some 2x2's with all thread in the bottoms. Pound them in, and staple cardboard across the gap. Then staple targets to cardboard.

[​IMG]

4. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

Don't bank on being able to hammer any target stands into the ground year-round; sometimes the clay is as hard as concrete. Steel stands and targets are not allowed.

I made stands out of 10 equal length pieces of PVC pipe and 6 T-connectors. Make one square (4 lengths and 4 Ts) and 2 T-shaped pieces (3 lengths and 1 T). The T-shaped pieces insert into two Ts that make the corners on the bottom of the square. Tape, string, staples, gravity, or adhesives can be used to hold up your cardboard. A similar stand could probably be made from 1x2 pine and cord if you pre-drill holes. Either way should cost well less than $20 and be stowable in the trunk of a small car or behind the seats of a pickup truck.

Be mindful of ground ricochets caused impacting the ground before the backstop. If you are shooting rifle prone at a distance near the backstop, then you can build a lower target frame. If you are shooting pistol from a standing position near the firing line, then you will need a taller target frame.

5. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

I used a similar method to build my target stands, but I use pine 1x2's sticking up out of the pvc that I'd staple some backing and then targets to.

As for the range itself, is it usually busy on the weekends? Never been, but thought of going. I much prefer shooting outdoors.

6. livesounder

livesounder New Member

I use stands made completely from 3/4 PVC. Cheap and easy to repair in the field. I don't glue any of the joints and use light-gauge wire (the wire sold to tie rebar together - it's also cheap) to hold the joints of the square portion together. This same wire also gives me an attachment point (with masking tape) for targets or target backing.

I made mine large enough that I can hang four of the larger paper targets at the same time, so I never have to stop firing and wait for the range to go cold because all the targets are shot up.

Charlie Elliot gets fairly busy on Saturdays (closed on Sunday) from around 11:30-3:30, though I've never had to wait long (if at all) for a lane. Most folks are well-behaved. I've seen people do "stupider" stuff at indoor lanes than here. The fact that it's away from any urban centers tends to reduce the number of numb-nuts.

7. drtybykr

drtybykr New Member

Make sure to have a shooting buddy, a good friend of mine went by himself on Saturday, and while he was checking his target someone stole his glock 36.

8. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Having a buddy with you also allows someone to "police" the firing line while you are down range. The last time that I went someone fired a shot or two while the range was cold and people were down range.

9. pml

pml Active Member

10. fmlaw1

fmlaw1 Active Member

Thanks for all the input folks. Lots of good ideas.

I have both PVC and wood out in the garage. I'll fashion something like the above examples. May go with a heavy wood base (2x4), or a PVC base that can be anchored for windy days. Furring strips up top may be the way to go.

I'd rather use what I have than go out and buy more materials. SWMBO HATES when I get project materials, then change the design :evil: and add more stuff to the garage!

11. EmergencyNrse

EmergencyNrse Member

Me, I'm done shooting rings. I like clay pigeons.
    As for target frames you only need look on the right-of-way around town.

I start here:
    [​IMG]

Collect a bunch of "trash" (These signs absolutely make the neighborhood look trashy)
    [​IMG]

Spray paint them black and take a 4" hole saw...

[​IMG]

Insert pigeon...
    [​IMG]

Virtually an unlimited number of "free" targets with frame already provided.

[​IMG]

If you don't want to buy pigeons just paint a white circle in the center and commence to whippin some ass downrange
    [​IMG]

Have fun @ the range. :D

12. maggie

maggie New Member

As stated b4 , the dirt can be hard , I take a 3lb hammer and a piece of old pipe for starter " holes " .

13. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper New Member

I always bring my hand sledgehammer, using the 12" gutter spikes makes it pretty easy to secure the stand in even hard clay. Getting the spikes out at the end of the day can be fun though!

14. fmlaw1

fmlaw1 Active Member

Looks like the material I have on hand dictates a 1" sch40 pvc stand, with 48 inch furring strips at vertical, like the BO'T version.

Is 4' a good height?

15. livesounder

livesounder New Member

You figurin' all BG's are midgets?

I find it amusing to see people using targets that are 1-2' off the ground for target practice. Not even close to replicating a real shooting condition, especially for BG's, and potentially for game (unless you're practicing to hunt wabbits).

16. maggie

maggie New Member

They're big on all rounds going into the bank at the end of the range .

17. livesounder

livesounder New Member

You're right, but you wouldn't know it based on the trenches dug from bullets a few yards out in each lane.

18. jdh31313

jdh31313 Active Member

19. fmlaw1

fmlaw1 Active Member

So how high then?