Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys - I like to go plinking in the woods behind my house and get a better angle (safer down range) if i shoot from an elevated position.

Question - is there specific statute regarding discharging a firearm from a stationary pickup truck bed on private property?

·
American
3,289 Posts
There are statutes about distance from roads and there are local, county, and municipal ordinances that limit such activity including noise ordinances.

Here are some various other laws that pertain to firearms. It is unlawful to point a firearm, loaded or not, at another person not necessary in defense of life, health, and property. It is unlawful to discharge a firearm within 50 yards of a public road, unless in defense of life, health, and property. It is unlawful to discharge a firearm on some else's land without permission of the landowner. (16-11-102, 16-11-103, 16-11-104)

Many cities and a growing number of the metro counties have a complete ban on the discharge of firearms (except in self-defense). Other cities and counties have a ban on discharging a firearm within a certain distance from a road or a neighbor's house or land owned by the city/county. Check Municode.com or your local government's website to see if your local ordinances are online.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys I should have prefaced that question by saying that my land is private and in an unincorporated part of the county so I can basically discharge firearms until somebody asks me to stop.. through a formal complaint. I remember as a young boy my father telling me that no matter what I did I couldn't go hunting from a vehicle. I prefer to think about target shooting from the bed of a parked pickup truck on personal property to be just a bad ass thing to do on Saturday. If anybody thinks that is illegal in Georgia please let me know.

·
American
3,289 Posts
Unless you're close to a public road it sounds like you're ok. But, I'd still check county ordinances.

·
Registered
14,962 Posts
Guys - I like to go plinking in the woods behind my house and get a better angle (safer down range) if i shoot from an elevated position.

Question - is there specific statute regarding discharging a firearm from a stationary pickup truck bed on private property?
Why not just build a raised shooting platform and eliminate the "vehicle" issue?

·
hu huh, you said "Member"
585 Posts
Not illegal if the distance from the road is good enough, target backstop/down-range is cleared the requisite amount, in accordance with any county stuff, etc. It's your land. Welcome to Free America.

I used to do this no problem. Works great. And it was for 3 reasons:

- provided a better angle to get further distance
- provide for a larger downward angle, safer down range
and
- able to lay prone or sitting position without being on the ground (covered from the hot summer sun while shooting from the open tailgate on a pickup with camper shell, and not having to lay on the ground with all the ants and bugs, or 2 ft tall grass/jaggers in a field).

I was able to make a nice spot to lay in the truck bed with a moving blanket, good rest for the rifle, reduces glare on the scope since under cover over-head, etc. Don't have to clear out a grassy area and build an elevated platform, that's what the truck is for. Work smarter, not harder.

If you have an open pickup bed, you can stand or set up a chair or whatever. Whatever's clever.

For all the crazy anti-gun folks reading this post, calm down and go away. Take those images of the DC sniper out of your head, get real, and move on. Go target shooting in August in Georgia in a field somewhere and see how much work it is to set up a range, and sit on the ground with the ants and mosquitos and chiggers and gnats and flies and bees and spiders. Sweat your brains out just to put a few rounds down-range even just to sight in your deer rifle and if there's any brains left, you'll figure out a better way to do it.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,408 Posts
2 things. Better angle on the truck and brass is easier to collect and were you able to take out the drone?

Nemo

·
hu huh, you said "Member"
585 Posts
Downward angle - well, I have seen rounds ricochet off packed sandy soil. Right over the backstop. Be careful.
While I agree, those are just bad shots. I would think hard-packed clay might do the same thing, but it just all depends on the lay of the land and the type of shooting/shooter.

·
Old Member
131 Posts
IIRC, the 50yd. road rule, for target practice, does not apply if you
are out of sight of the road. Also, I believe the "pointing gun at another"
statute was removed from the OCGA. Someone please tell me if I'm
just dreaming this. [-(

ETA: I was kinda right per OCGA 16-11-102 and 16-11-103 (Intentionally
Pointing unless for a Justifiable reason) was added.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts