Tallulah Gorge State Part

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by Kuponutter, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Kuponutter

Kuponutter New Member

Hello all

I'm planning a trip to visit the falls at Tallulah Gorge State Park and called up the park's visitor center to inquiry about carrying my gun since I do have a GWCL but upon calling was told that firearms were not allowed anywhere on the park even though it says it is allowed as long as the person has a valid GWCL on the state park website under the "Weapons" section. http://gastateparks.org/Rules

Can anyone advise me as to whether I am allowed to carry on the hiking trails there?

2. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

You sound be ok as long as the property isn't army cite of engineers laND I've never been to the park you're talking about

3. awanatech

awanatech Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  4. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Would you please cite your source for that because an official history of the Georgia State Parks indicates that the land for the current Tallulah Gorge State Park actually came from The Southern Company, not the Corps of Engineers.

"Georgia Power, a division of The Southern Company, held a tremendous resource, Tallulah Gorge. In their relicensing efforts, Georgia Power sought ways to widen their public recreational uses. A partnership between the Parks Division and Georgia Power led to more of the gorge rim being developed and new uses being established including occasional water releases through the scenic gorge for aesthetic uses and for rafting and kayaking.
    The following parks were added in the 1990s:
    Sprewell Bluff State Park
    Tallulah Gorge State Park
    Chattahoochee River State Park (not the earlier Metro-Atlanta area park)
    Smithgall Woods/Dukes Creek Conservation Area
    Jefferson Davis Historic Site
    Griswoldville Battlefield Monument (unstaffed)"
    https://gastateparks.org/content/georgia/parks/75th_Anniv/parks_history.pdf

5. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

It seems you got misinformation from the person you spoke with at the park. Tallulah Gorge State Park is not listed a a Corps of Engineers property leased to the GA Park program on their official site. From the GA Park Rules site (typos are theirs):
    Weapons

Bows and arrows, explosives, fireworks, slingshots, fishing spears or any device that discharges projectiles by any means is prohibited. Firearms must be unloaded, cased and stored, unless a person possesses a valid weapons-carry license for a firearm that is valid in Georgia. A person possessing a valid weapon-carry license to carry a firearm valid i this state may carry such firearm on Georgia State Parks and Historic Sites, except on sites where carrying such firearm is prohibited by federal law. Firearms except those that are unloaded, cased and stored are not permitted on sites that are leased, federal Army Corps of Engineers property, including:
    Red Top Mountain
    Seminole
    George T. Bagby
    Don Carter
    Florence Marina
    Tugaloo
    Hart
    Bobby Brown
    Richard B. Russell
    Elijah Clark
    Mistletoe
    Reciprocal Firearms Agreements

Some states have reciprocal firearms agreements with Georgia, and their citizens may possess a firearm as long as they possess a valid weapons carry permit from their respective state. Please research states that have reciprocal agreements with Georgia.

http://gastateparks.org/Rules

6. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

If anyone wants to check further, or report the misinformation, it would probably be best to check with the DNR Rangers since they enforce law on State Park land.

For Tallulah Gorge that would be Region 2 - Northeast Captain Johnny Johnson, Region Supervisor
    2150 Dawsonville Hwy, Gainesville, GA 30501
    (770) 535-5499

7. awanatech

awanatech Well-Known Member

I was mistaken. My apologies. I was thinking COE, but as soon as I typed it, I realized that didn't seem right and that it might have been GA Power/ Southern Comp. At the time, I didn't have the time to repost, but I didn't want to mislead anyone, so I edited my post to remove the erroneous info. You are correct, it is Southern Company land and not subject to COE limitations.

8. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

You can carry there openly or concealed anywhere there - I always openly carry there with no issues.

The only exception is you cannot carry all the way at the bottom, as that land is still privately owned by Georgia Power, and they can tell you to get off their property.

9. Phil1979

No need to even call them back. Just carry there as you wish. You just reached an ignorant person.

10. Phil1979

Oh, and welcome to GPDO!

11. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Carry there. If they tell you to leave, do so. Not like you are planning on moving there and living in a cave or anything. Or are you? Phil, I figure you just might. Just to make a point or some.

Nemo

12. Phil1979

Normally carrying anyway to make them tell you to leave is not bad, but I think you have a buy a special pass to go to the bottom, and they may tell you to disarm before going.