Tale of 2 carbines, maybe

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by tace, May 24, 2007.

1. tace

tace New Member

My wife is so scared of the recoil on the house 9mm that she is quite an awful shot with it.

So, I am thinking about getting a 9mm carbine to reduce the recoil and sticking a laser on it to make it easier for her to aim.

I am thinking between the Beretta Storm and the Hi-Point carbine. I know the hi-point is cheaper but not sure its life dependable. What do you guys think about this?

BTW, don't say get a shotgun cause my dear wife won't touch one from her past experiences.

2. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I've not fired either, but of the two, I'd go Beretta simply on the name. Plus, you could team it up with Beretta pistols and use the same mags in each.

I have a Ruger PC9 teamed with a KP95DC, and I very much like the carbine. They have been discontinued, but they are still out there.

3. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "Member"

M1 Carbine.

Zero recoil. Light as a super soaker. Handy-dandy.

The Beretta seems pretty cool, if you are set on putting a laser on it. I wouldn't dare put tacti-cool accessories on a USGI M1 Carbine. The iron sights work fine even past 100 yds.

4. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

I have the Hi-Point 9mm Carbine.

Cheap? Yes. Ugly? Yes. Dependable? YOU BET!

I've fired hundreds of rounds through it...and never, not even ONE time, did it fail to feed, fire, or eject.

I've yet to even clean it, and I've had it 3 years.

They are built like an old russian tank. Simple, strong, and reliable.

If you just want to spend 4 times (or more) the money, go right ahead. 8)

I am, however, waiting for them to start production on the .45 ACP version of it. Then I'll sell the 9mm one and go with the .45 one.

5. CoolHand

CoolHand Active Member

I'd be worried about over penetration with the M1 carbine. That and it's hard to find decent self defense ammo for a .30 carbine. They are awfully handy though.

The beretta can be had in 9mm, .40, and .45 :D and you can get frangible ammo that won't go all the way through the house.

6. tace

tace New Member

Agree there that the 9mm choices are much better than .30 . Frangible ammo isn't such a good idea though, cause its penetration is quite shallow. That was why the air marshall's stopped using them.

I would however use 147 grain Hyrashocks or Speer GDHPs in such a carbine.

7. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

If you're coming to the shoot in three weeks, you can play with Hi-Point Carbine. I don't have a laser on it, but I it does have a red dot sight and an ATI stock so that it isn't ugly anymore.

[​IMG]

8. Macktee

Macktee New Member

I have fired Adam's carbine and it's nice. Actually, very nice. Quite easy to handle and little recoil. I'd like to have one. I'd like to have lots of things. Maybe, if I win the Powerball...

Hi Points aren't exactly a highly respected name, but they make decent weapons for not all that much money. My C-9 pistol has never failed and asbrand says the same about his carbine. You should check them out before making decision. Remember, you can buy lots of ammo with the difference between the Hi Point and the Beretta.....!

9. tony218

tony218 New Member

i shot macktee's hi-point pistol it is pretty sweet
    to be so butt-ugly :lol: :lol:

10. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

And the Hi-Point has a "no questions asked" lifetime *of the gun* warranty.

Doesn't matter if you are the original owner, or the 15th.

I've seen stories of people who broke their stock by accidentally running over them with a car...and the company replaced it for free.

Can't beat that.

But, yeah...they are FUGLY. 8)

11. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Berretta has a nasy habit of not standing behind their products. One and two year warranties instead of the lifetime warranties offered by most companies these days. I won't buy any more of them (at least new ones) because of it.