Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering..the GWL allows you to carry knives for offensive and defensive purpose with a blade over 5" long..what about a Tactical Tomahawk? like a Vietnam Tomahawk or a SOG Tomahawk, the lenghts of these are between 12"-15"(handles) and the blades on the cutting edge are maybe 2.5"-3.5" with a sharpened spike on the opposite end.Are these legal to carry on your belt in public? with or without a GWL?

Thanks
Richard

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
it took a while for my wife to get comfortable with me OC my handgun when we went anywhere together, i just had a vision of the look on her face when i walked out the door, keys in hand , with a tomahawk strapped to my belt. :shattered: if i hadn't already been through one nasty divorce i just might try it.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
YMMV. IANAL.

I don't think a tomahawk/axe/hatchet is a "knife" or "weapon" as defined by GA's carry statutes, school zones being a major exception.

I think you could carry one openly or concealed without a GWL but you will have to read up on the local ordinances to see if they have anything enacted that they could use against you, depending on where you are.

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,723 Posts
zookeper said:
it took a while for my wife to get comfortable with me OC my handgun when we went anywhere together, i just had a vision of the look on her face when i walked out the door, keys in hand , with a tomahawk strapped to my belt. :shattered: if i hadn't already been through one nasty divorce i just might try it.
just make a holster for it....tell her the customer wanted it field tested :righton:

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
(2) "Knife" means a cutting instrument designed for the purpose of offense and defense consisting of a blade that is greater than five inches in length which is fastened to a handle.
http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?t ... tion=125.1

It might be argued that if the cutting blade of the tomahawk is over 5 inches, designed for offense or defense, and fastened to a handle it would be considered a "knife" and thus a "weapons." That means it may require a GWL but would also afford you the protections that come with it.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Legal, but only if authentic feathers from your tribal affiliation are attached.... :sly:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, what if I just carried a wood chopping axe or a chainsaw(hockey mask optional) wherever I went, would that be legal without a GWL?..lol

·
Registered
79 Posts
i know... just kidding around. A buddy of mine has one

I can imagine some strange looks with that on your side however. Local 911 would be curious when they got a MWT call lol

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
The guys up at Cro-Bar had one up there one day. I think he said it was legal to carry. I can't really remember, also IANAL, this is not legal advise.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,434 Posts
Design a blade of over five inches that folds out of the way (like into the handle) and you'd be covered with a GWL.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
A hatchet and a knife make a fine CQC combo in the right hands, especially if you run out of ammo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
phantoms said:
Design a blade of over five inches that folds out of the way (like into the handle) and you'd be covered with a GWL.
like my Navaja maybe? It folds away and has a 7" blade.Got it directly from Spain, and had a custom conceal sheath made for it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Prophet said:
someone has been playing a little too much black ops :lol:
naw, you just gotta be prepared for when the Zombies come.
My Saiga 12 with 10rd mag..had a 20rd drum but couldn't get it to work like it was supposed to so I bought 3 more 10 rounders and 5 more 5 rounders...I love to shoot!!!

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,110 Posts
I think Ga_GunOwner nailed it. Tomahawks are not knives, unless the blade of the hatchet itself is 5" or more.
If it's not a knife or pistol, then it's not a "weapon."
If it's not a weapon, then there's no state law regulating it, other than the school safety zone law which has its own much broader definition of "weapon."

And there would not be any State preemption of local laws. So any city or county ordinance about weapons could be applied against you.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts