Tactical Professor Blog

Discussion in 'Training' started by HeadHunter, Apr 3, 2014.

1. HeadHunter

HeadHunter New Member

I finally decided to start up a blog. It's called Tactical Professor. It will be my place to voice my thoughts about personal protection on quite a few different topics.

2. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

3. timbrubaker

timbrubaker I may be slow, but I sure am ugly

4. billnchristy

billnchristy New Member

Nice job. It's a clean layout, easy to read and you don't come across preachy or egotistical. I look forward to reading more.

5. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

Bookmarked! Nice layout. Will explore it all.

6. rabbivj

rabbivj My Name is Inigo Montoya

added to feedly.

7. HeadHunter

HeadHunter New Member

Downrange practice

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  8. FNX45Guy

FNX45Guy Active Member

Deep for sure!

Now lets get a group together to go thru these specific drills. When, where and how much Sensei? A shoot house environ would be preferred... no?

9. HeadHunter

HeadHunter New Member

10. HeadHunter

HeadHunter New Member

I'm working on something about that.

11. HeadHunter

HeadHunter New Member

A 'training scars' thread on another forum inspired me write about training priorities.

http://bit.ly/1hsV2qi

12. HeadHunter

HeadHunter New Member

Someone asked a question about my latest blog post that I think bears repeating.

It's getting a good hit with the first shot that I was referring to. Shaw would not let his students advance in his training until they could reliably hit an NRA bullseye at 7 yards from the holster in under 2 seconds. That comes from his book 'You Can't Miss.' (p107, 2d Ed.)

If establishing grip was the hardest part of the draw, we would see a lot of people who can't get their gun out of their holster or who drop it when they do. Instead what we see is a lot of people who can't hit the target with the first, or subsequent, shots. The recent Chicago shooting is a perfect example, he didn't have any problem getting his gun out but he didn't hit doodley with multiple rounds.

Realizing that correlation is what changed my mind.

13. HeadHunter

HeadHunter New Member

Interesting things in the NYPD Annual Firearms Discharge Report

Another shooting incident resource that I have added [to my blog] is the NYPD Annual Firearms Discharge Report. The 2012 Report, which is the latest, provided some interesting information. The thing about any of the big reports is that you have to actually read them to see what’s in them rather than just skimming. Nancy Pelosi research methods don’t work well here. Some nuggets are small and easily missed. Sometimes, you have to do a little number crunching on your own.

14. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

This posting actually comes as I was recently musing on scaled targets.

"Scaling Targets"
    http://tacticalprofessor.wordpress.com/2014/08/12/scaling-targets/

What is the practical difference between the "same" target scaled proportionally to use at different distance? The same movement in the aim will score the same on any of them, won't it? (Well, except for the relatively larger bullet hole getting a score for touching the line, I suppose.)

15. HeadHunter

HeadHunter New Member

Generally speaking, there's not too much difference. Vision capability will have some effect; for instance, it's easier for me to hit a 50 foot scaled B-27 than a full size B-27 at 50 yards because it's hard for me to see a full size B-27 at 50 yards clearly.

16. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

bullet holes

I consider it a huge advantage to see my bullet hole appear in the target.

If I use scaled-down targets at closer ranges, that helps. Along with the bullet hole being proportionately larger compared to the target, too.

In real-life shootings, I don't think you'll be able to see your hits.
    It's not like in the movies where a small pyrotechnic charge blasts open a pint bag of fake blood under the actor's clothing, leaving a big bloody visible wound even before he goes down.

In real life shootings, most bullet hits are a barely-noticeable smudge or frayed area on one's clothing, at least for several seconds until the blood flows out and soaks the material.

Occasionally the inability to see my hits on those big dull black B27 silhouette targets at a dimly-lit indoor range has really messed with my mind, and thrown me off my game. But other times I could either see the hits or had such unwavering confidence that I was getting a softball-sized group right over the X-ring that I didn't mind not getting any "feedback" until the qualification shoot was over.

17. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

18. Dan4010

Dan4010 New Member

Looks great Claude...nicely done...

19. FNX45Guy

FNX45Guy Active Member

20. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

The Professor is writing about standards.

https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress.com/2017/03/11/standards-a-series/
    https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress.com/2017/03/13/standards-part-ii-why/