"Tactical" Pens

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by xd45packer, Aug 8, 2017.

1. xd45packer

xd45packer Member

I have recently made purchase of 2 heavy duty pens with a mind toward protective use for locations restrictive of other means ie airline or international travel. The two that I chose were both aluminum body. One is equipped with a rite in the rain cartridge, is spiral fluted for grip, and has a stainless steel glass breaker tip, and an aluminum pocket clip(removable/replaceable), priced approximately 100$. The other is equipped with a pressurized "space" cartridge, horizontal ridges and a knurled center section for grip, steel pocket clip(removable replaceable), priced approximately 25$.

For others who have done the same thing, what were the considerations you had in mind when choosing your pen in regards to price, materials, design/features, etc.?

2. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

>>> Fair warning, this is going to sound a bit more crass than intended, please take nothing personally against any poster <<<

In regards to traveling on commercial airlines, the TSA is quite aware of 'tactical pens', has declared them as weapons, and will readily confiscate them at the TSA officer's discretion.
    [​IMG]
    -image courtesy of TSA.gov

In regards to just normal people carrying 'tactical pens', I've lost count of the number of people that had to show me their $100 or more tactical jewelry. they're pretty, they're useful and they can be quite effective, but I'm not Jason Bourne and I don't need DNA collectors, or sapphire tips capable of defeating automobile glass windows. If I'm in such a desperate situation that I need to poke someone with a pen, it's going into an eye, a throat or an ear; it's not going to be a 'pain compliance tool, or a fancy kubaton.

A couple years ago, I heard the Zebra F-701 being lauded and picked up one from an office supply store. It wasn't great but it was pretty much 'all metal'. Later I heard of a hybrid F-701 and F-402 that people were terming the F-7401. By sacrificing a F-402 you could come up with an all metal -701 that accepted the Fisher space-pen gel refills - - nirvana :).

So, for about a 15-20 I have a pen that takes easy refills, is constructed like a tank, and won't raise anyone's eyebrows.

ETA: An easy 'how to' that pretty much outlines what I was instructed to do.http://imgur.com/gallery/8jakV

[​IMG]
    obligatory Zebra F-701

[​IMG]
    - and the Zebra F-402 that donates its innards (a one-time sacrifice) You don't need to sacrifice the -402 unless you want the smoother writing gel feature. The comfy rubber grip is what prevents it from consideration in the 'tactical' sense.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017

3. Groundhound

Groundhound Active Member

Or how about a gentleman's cane, like this: http://www.stepinstik.com/index.cfm
    A wack across the shin or face of an aggressor would be quite painful, and the TSA would not deny a gentleman of his cane. The solid brass "hame" is a formidable weapon, similar to a blackthorn shealeigh but heavier. Not built for repeated practice but good for an encounter of the necessary kind.

Yes, I own one.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  4. Fallschirmjäger

Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I used to have an interest in the martial arts. I purchased a wooden bokken made from Japanese hardwood. Since the last 2-3 years it's been with me almost constantly. In that time, I've been asked about it a grand total of ... once.
    [​IMG]

I've thought about purchasing another and epoxying an SKS spike bayonet inside with some neodymium magnets to hold it all together but have lacked time and initiative (that plus if I ever decided to market such I don't know where I'd find a steady supply of spike bayonets :) ).

5. rabbivj

rabbivj My Name is Inigo Montoya

I should use mine..i keep mine in my closet from when I took Aikido/Jiu Jitsu...

6. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

Interesting you should post this now. I bought one last week to see what all the hubbub is about. This one was $12 on amazon, now $14.

https://www.amazon.com/SWAT-Tactical-Pen-Defensive-Ballpoint/dp/B01MG25VN1/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502278403&sr=8-1&keywords=atomic+bear+tactical+pen

It's pretty heavy duty and feels solid. It uses Parker ball point refills, so it writes quite well. It's 6" long, like the CRKT in Fallshirmager's post, but with a wider body. It has a sharp point on one end that I'm sure would punch right through a pane of glass, if the need ever arose. Beyond that, I'm indifferent to it.

It's not exactly low profile. Look around the table in a conference room, everyone has a different pen. Some have a simple bic, others a pencil, others a fancy Parker executive style pen. The Atomic Bear looks out of place, like I'm holding a rail spike. It's top heavy and kind of hard to write with. It's loud when opened, and very loud if you drop it on a table. In an office self defense type situation, there are better options. But if you don't have a glass breaker in your car, this one is reasonably priced and pulls double duty as a good writing pen.

Overall I'm not impressed with the idea of a tactical pen. I doubt that I would ever pay up to get any better features, but if I was in the market for one to use in a professional setting, I'd definitely look for something with a discreet profile, so it doesn't look so out of place, and with better balance, so it's easier to write.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  7. ForsythGlock

ForsythGlock Member

8. xd45packer

xd45packer Member

Falls et al - Thank you for your replies! I realize now that I was probably more than a bit foolishly basing this mostly on anecdotal evidence that I had seen in various places.

Upon more in depth research I have been able to come up with any evidence that these a specifically prohibited and seems to be more up to the discretion of the illustrious safety police that happen to be manning the screening station when you pass through. As I am not looking to be either causing a fuss at screening or having my personal property confiscated or discarded at the whim of whoever, I will now be looking into more discreet options.

As a supplement to my original post, the two pens that I currently have are a gray S&W and a black Zero Tolerance. The S&W is a bit on the bulky and slightly heavy side, but is well balanced for writing and other tasks. The Zero Tolerance is lighter, more discreet, and even more well balanced, however the cast(I believe) aluminum pocket clip is not as sturdy or easily put back into original shape as the steel clip on the S&W.

9. Fallschirmjäger

The thing (to me) about almost all the 'tactical pens' is that they lack a certain non-descriptiveness*; as soon as someone pulls one out it's pretty obvious what one is. Anyone displaying one in the presence of some ne'er-do-well is then marked as a 'non-sheep' to be dealt with sooner than someone who's still blending into the background.

* they're marketed as defensive weapons, so who's gonna buy one if it looks like every other 19¢ BIC out there? You could make a Bvlgari Diagono, Patek Philippe, or Breitling look like a Timex... but who would purchase one if it cost 10,000 times as much and a Timex was just as accurate?

To quote Gary Busey's character in Soldier, "My daddy always said, 'When you want to insert a nail into a piece of wood, don't do anything fancy or glamorous. Just take the damn hammer and hit the :censored: until it's in' ".

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017