Sword Cane

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by jaxenro, Aug 31, 2017.

1. jaxenro

jaxenro New Member

So are sword canes legal to carry with a WCL? Probably not as effective as the handgun I carry but I fenced saber off and on for 20 years and just like them. There's nothing like a good piece of steel that never needs reloading.

2. Phil1979

Phil1979 Active Member

Any blade of any length is legal to carry openly or concealed in GA with a valid WCL. And blades under 12" are legal to carry openly or concealed without a WCL.

3. GAfirearmsReference

GAfirearmsReference Weapons Law Booklet

yeah, with a GWL (carry license) you're good to go on big edged weapons.

See the definition of "weapon" and "knife" in Code section 16-11-125.1 and then consider this language from 16-11-127:

(c) A license holder or person recognized under subsection (e) of Code Section 16-11-126 [reciprocity with carry permit from another state]
    shall be authorized to carry a weapon as provided in Code Section 16-11-135 and in every location in this state not listed in subsection (b) or prohibited by subsection (e) of this Code section;

provided, however, that private property owners or persons in legal control of private property through a lease, rental agreement, licensing agreement, contract, or any other agreement to control access to such private property shall have the right to exclude or eject a person who is in possession of a weapon or long gun on their private property ...

Now, Georgia still has some off-limits locations, even for permit holders, and one big potential problem is school property. The new "campus carry" limited exceptions don't have any benefit for edged weapons, nor any weapon openly carried. But, at least you can leave it locked in your car, or kept in your car as you drive through a school zone.

4. jaxenro

jaxenro New Member

Can someone define "school zone"? I assume it means school property and not the 25 mph zone of the main road going past it

my kids are 700 miles away and in their 30's so school visits aren't a thing for me

5. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Google OCGA 16-11-127.1

6. johnski

johnski Active Member

IIRC the 1000 foot Federal "school zone" around all schools does not apply to gwcl'ers but you can still not set foot on school property.

7. Smilodon

Smilodon Member

I thought that it changed to 5" a few years ago.

To carry a knife designed for offense and defense with a blade over 5 inches you must have a Georgia Weapons Carry License (or the older Georgia Firearm License) issued under code 16-11-129. There are exceptions, read below to find out what those are.

http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  8. GAfirearmsReference

GAfirearmsReference Weapons Law Booklet

No, it was 5" for several years, but now it's up to 12 inches.
    You can carry any normal-sized knife without a GWL now, but not a sword or dagger or such things.

Old definition of weapon: See most websites' version of 16-11-125.1. It talks about knives with blades over 5 inches. That's the old text of the law as it existed prior to the summer of 2017.

Even this site, GeorgiaPacking, doesn't have the latest updates to the Gun Laws in Plain English.

New definition of weapon: See latest version of same law, after HB 292 passed and was signed into law earlier this year.
    HB292, section 3, lines 94-96 changed 5" to 12".

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  9. Smilodon

Smilodon Member

Ok cool, I didn't realized that it had changed.

10. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Federal law has a blanket exception for license holders. Under federal law, you are ok to carry right into the classroom. As for state law, there are numerous exceptions to the "can still not set foot on school property" rule, so I suggest you read them. For example, there is an exception while picking up a student.

11. jaxenro

jaxenro New Member

The thing is finding a decent sword cane that isn't Chinese $%@& short of paying $500 to $700. Cold Steel makes a decent looking one for not too much in their heavy duty sword cane

12. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Make your own?
    [​IMG]
    About $25 on eBay.

I have a wooden bokken (used when I was younger and studying martial arts) and it's morphed into my daily use cane since I've developed a bout of edema.
    I'm considering cutting it apart at the hilt and boring couple holes. Then I can epoxy/JB Weld an SKS bayonet in the handle with a matching hole in the wooden sword part. Two or four more little holes would allow me to set in a few neodymium magnets to act as locating and securing pins. Put it all back together and it would take a fairly hefty pull to separate the magnets. I've even thought about making a few extra, but I've never seen a steady supply for SKS bayonets.

So far, in over a year of walking with it, only one person has asked if my bokken was 'one of those hidden sword things?'.

13. jaxenro

jaxenro New Member

Cold Steel's is under $100 and gets good reviews

14. roryred

roryred New Member

15. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

I've got to keep up more

16. moe mensale

moe mensale Active Member

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01NHcTM5IA4[/ame]

17. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Would a Mosin Rifle bayonet work? I think those are available and relatively low cost.

Nemo

18. maggie

maggie New Member

What's the rule on automatics as they are called now, I see them at every gun show

19. Phil1979

Phil1979 Active Member

Switchblades, butterfly knives, and others are all legal in Georgia, as they should be.