Switchblade???

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by GAGunOwner, Apr 3, 2006.

1. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

When you say "switchblade," are you talking about a knife who's blade either springs out or springs open with some mechancial assistance (such as a spring), or a knife whose blade can be made to swing out a lock with the flick of a wrist (such as from it's own inertia)?

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I think it is only legal if you grease your hair back and wear a white T-shirt with a pack of cigarettes rolled up in the sleeve. :lol: There is an exception in Georgia law for inclement weather, during which a black leather jacket can be worn over the T-shirt.

3. Malum Prohibitum

OK, OK, seriously . . .

"Switchblade" is one of the items specifically listed in the definition of "weapon" in the school statute, OCGA 16-11-127.1(a)(2).

4. Malum Prohibitum

I think there may be some federal law on the issue, but I am not sure.

5. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Yes, there is. It is a federal felony to possess a switchblade (15 USC 1243)

6. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

There is also a commerce clause law where they can't be sold over state lines, and/or transported over state lines to be sold.

7. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Good question. Here's the text:

Whoever, within any Territory or possession of the United States, within Indian country (as defined in section 1151 of title 18), or within the special maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States (as defined in section 7 of title 18), manufactures, sells, or possesses any switchblade knife, shall be fined not more than $2,000 or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

The wording is kind of odd with regard to location. If they meant for it to be a general prohibition, they wouldn't have said anything. If they meant for it to apply on federal property, well, they ought to know how to say that. I'm not sure what this means.

Edited by Gunstar1, checked "disable smilies in this post"

8. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Well considering how vague "designed for offense or defense" is in the open carry law with the history of that knife, I think a switchblade would have to be open carried outside of home or business.

9. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Gunstar1 probably is correct. If you want to avoid having to defend yourself against weapons charges based on a switchblade being designed for offense or defense, you should not carry it concealed and you should not carry it to or at a public gathering.

10. Malum Prohibitum

Whatever that means! :roll:
    :lol: