Swiss Gun Tradition Surprises Tourists

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/Specials/Gu ... d=29195404

2. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

3. ber950

ber950 Active Member

I think the reporter got this one wrong(who ever heard of such a thing), unless there has been a recent change. Up until recently the military supplied soldiers with a sealed tin of ammo. You were not allowed to use that ammo for personal use and the Govt may no longer issue it. Personal ammo had to be signed for unless it was purchased "at" the range. It was assumed that the ammo you bought at the range was going to be used that day, but no one checked on that.

4. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

From a linked article:
    More suicides than car accident deaths? Wow. :shock: I found this statement on another related story, "About 1,300 kill themselves every year - roughly four times more than die in road accidents." The rate is 19.1 per 100,000. (It was 11.1 in the U.S. in 2005.)

The best the anti-gun faction can point to are 10- and 4-year-old cases?

Exactly how will a gun-registry alleviate their problems with suicides?

From browsing these articles, the firearm tradition doesn't seem all that entrenched.

5. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

An article dated from 2007 reports on a legislative change.

It's not clear from all references being "army ammo" whether private ownership of ammo is controlled.

From the "Key Facts" section:
    More weakening of the tradition.

6. fleetdoc23

fleetdoc23 New Member

It's not clear from all references being "army ammo" whether private ownership of ammo is controlled.

From the "Key Facts" section:
    More weakening of the tradition.[/quote:2seuwfj8]

That's what always happens when people start to forget why the system was set up the way it was in the first place. Granted there may never be another full blown European conflict (let's hope not), it's still sad to see this slowly going away.

The fact remains that people who REALLY want to commit suicide, or murder someone will do it. Regardless of what anti's think, these "assault weapons" don't talk people into these things.

It's been some years ago, but I recall seeing a program on this very subject. Not only did every male have their rifle and ammo, but they also showed an older gentleman who had all the arming and detonation equipment stored in his home to level the bridge that was outside their town.

I know the militia is conscripted, and a lot of countries in Europe (Italy comes to mind) practice this. This is probably a short term play to eventually make that go away.