Sweat Bees - How To Eliminate Them

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by moe mensale, Jul 18, 2019.

1. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

A couple weeks ago I got stung by a little flying "thing" while working in the flower beds. No big deal. Three days ago I was removing some weeds on the garden steps and got swarmed by the same little "thing" only this time there were substantially more of them. Apparently I disturbed their nest which I didn't know was there. One sting on the arm, two on the eyelid. Sprayed the nest with some ant & roach stuff I had laying around and figured that was the end of it. This morning one of the dogs followed me down the stairs and disturbed the nest. Out they came and bit the poor little guy. I didn't know he could run that fast!

Sprayed the nest again with the ant & roach stuff being that's all I had. Went back a bit later and picked up one of the dead ones to examine. We concluded it was a sweat bee. First time in six years here we've had them on the property. What can I pick up at Home Depot to kill off the nest? I don't want to trap them. I want them gone, permanently if possible.

2. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Wasp and Hornet spray (any brand). Locate the nest and empty a couple of cans into it. Once you start spraying the entrance keep at it. The spray will not even allow them to get off the ground. Once the stop entering and exiting the nest they will not return and the queen will die if she has not died from the spray.

EJR914 likes this.

3. Alabama Jones

Alabama Jones Señor Member

Pour a little gasoline down the hole. Just a little, half a cup or so. A full cup if it's a big nest. The fumes will fill the nest and kill the bees.

4. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Then set the gas on fire. Always use FIRE. Fire kills everything. Let it into your basement and house if it tries to go there. Its chasing the bees.

Remember, FIRE!

Nemo

Tinkerhell likes this.
  5. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

Take off and nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Scout706 likes this.
  6. 82A1

82A1 Member

A couple of years ago we had a yellow jacket nest. A good sized hole in the yard. I tried sprays and dust, with little effect. Drove over to Do It Yourself Pest Control and bought some commercial concentrated liquid poison. Mixed a strong 5 gallon batch, waited until almost dark so most of the yellow jackets would be in the nest, then poured the 5 gallons down the hole. That took care of the problem.

7. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

And the best way to deliver such fire is to have a flamethrower mounted on the radio controlled drone!

Skip ahead to 1:07 to see this device in action against a hornets' nest up on a tree limb.

Phil1979 likes this.
  8. Nemo

Thats right. You can even let a wasp deliver the fire.

And the bees might get high on the bug spray. Its now being used as an alternative to meth. Reportedly works well.

Just think, a whole hive methed up and coming after you.

Nemo

https://www.wishtv.com/news/nationa...ernative-meth-contributed-to-three-overdoses/

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  9. moe mensale

This is a definite "NO!" I built the various stairs and retaining walls out of railroad ties. I'm not about to destroy all that for a damn bee!

You seem really juiced up about your idea. Try it out in your yard and let me know how it works out for you! :devil: :lol:

10. moe mensale

That may be a bit overkill. As I understand it, these little stingers don't have huge colonies. Maybe just a couple dozen critters.

11. moe mensale

I think I'll start off with this. Some of the other suggestions are a bit much. :lol:

12. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

I've seen the movie. It doesn't end well.

gunsmoker likes this.
  13. jsaund22

jsaund22 Ninjaneering Computers

Gasoline is what we've always used for wasps around the farm. Kills them INSTANTLY -- way faster than wasp spray.

14. awanatech

awanatech Well-Known Member

Don't do things that make you sweat.

15. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

This. And place a bowl over the entrance to keep the fumes from escaping. Did this 3x over the last couple of years with yellow jacket nests and worked like a charm.

Oh, and do it at night when they aren't as active.

EJR914 likes this.
  16. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

I have used the wasp spray on many occasions with nor flying out of the nest wasp, hornets and yellow jackets in huge nest hanging under the eave of a house, small nest in utility boxes and large ground nest. Unlike gas or other fuels it doesn't remain flammable for a week after use. It also kills very fast. Maybe not instantly but fast enough you will not get stung.

17. jsaund22

jsaund22 Ninjaneering Computers

Understood - we're using it in barns and shelters - places where something like that isn't really a concern. No fire, no electricity, no ignition.

18. FrontSight

FrontSight Well-Known Member

I found a Yellow Jacket nest last year while watering some Hydrangeas. Got stung by six in the back of my head and cheek. I mixed a strong solution of Malathion and Spectracide in a gallon pump sprayer, set it on stream and worked the hole over from a distance with the full gallon. Zapped 'em dead.

19. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

For yellow jackets in the ground 7 dust is about the best non gas option.

20. Nemo

Hope it works out for you. But if it doesn't, go back to the one thing that will work. FIRE!

And I don't have bees because I have fire. And I can control it.

Nemo