SWAT Team for Bookie

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Malum Prohibitum, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

There has been a lot of posting on here about the War on Drugs and Swat. What about the War on Gambling and SWAT? :D

Report: SWAT team shouldn’t have been used in fatal shooting
    Scott McCabe, The Examiner
    Jan 12, 2007 3:00 AM (8 hrs ago)

Fairfax (Virginia) - A Fairfax County police SWAT unit should not have been deployed the night an officer accidentally shot and killed a Fair Oaks man, according to a report released by the police chief.

The administrative investigation into the Jan. 24, 2006, shooting death of Salvatore J. Culosi found that the tactics used to arrest him weren’t necessary and the policies for the use of high-risk force and special units was inconsistent throughout the department, according to the 27-page report issued Thursday by Police Chief David Rohrer.

The report comes a week after Culosi’s family filed a $12 million lawsuit against the county for wrongful death. They could not be reached Thursday night.

Culosi, a 37-year-old optometrist, was reportedly shot in the chest by 17-year veteran Officer Deval V. Bullock while members of the organized crime and SWAT team were serving a warrant on felony gambling charges.

An undercover detective, investigating an illegal sports betting ring, went to Culosi’s house to allegedly collect winnings from a football bet, police said. After the detective gave the signal, two SWAT officers jumped out of an SUV, according to police. The passenger-side door struck Bullock, causing him to flinch, the report said. That’s when the gun went off.

The report said that lower-risk, less complex tactics could have been employed and recommended the creation of committee to review all incidents involving serious use of force.

“We fervently hope the conclusion of the painful investigative process into this tragic incident ... leads to understanding, trust and a stronger partnership,†Rohrer wrote in his report.

Bernard DiMuro, who is representing Salvatore Sr. and Anita Culosi, said the family welcomed the promised changes and the admission of errors and judgment, but they differed with some findings which they found implausible, such as the officer’s finger not being on the trigger before the gun went off.

Fairfax Commonwealth Attorney Robert Horan Jr. found no evidence of criminal wrongdoing and declined to prosecute. Culosi’s death was the first fatal unintentional shooting in the department’s history.

smccabe@dcexaminer.com
    Examiner

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Great. Another dot to add to the Cato Inst. board.

So if I shoot and kill someone can I just say "oopss...sorry guys. I flinched." and not get sued or put in prison?

ah wait....I would need to be on the SWAT team first.

3. Macktee

Macktee New Member

What about it?

Another "crime" that hurts only those who lose their paychecks. Why is it illegal to make a friendly wager? Why is prostitution illegal? Why drugs?

Armed robbery - definitely should be but these other "crimes"....in my liberal/libertarian view should not be. Crimes should those actions which deprive victims of life and property. People gamble, do drugs and buy sex willingly. Huge difference between those "crimes" and carjacking.

Obviously, in this country (and most of the world) I'm in the minority on this issue.

As for SWAT... boys like to play with their toys. For most police departments, SWAT teams are not a true necessity. But, if they have one, they're for damn sure gonna use it! Consequently, innocent people tend to get SWATTED on a fairly regular basis.

4. Macktee

Macktee New Member

And, sorta on the same subject of crimes that really shouldn't be... Crimes, that is.

Who cares what happens inside a strip club? Apparently, Texas does. With pictures of the horrible, blood-thirsty, demented criminals who violated the "three foot rule":

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/ye ... ston1.html

Maybe it just me, but does the state or city or county really have a compelling interest in this? Some poor lonely schmuck wants to pay for a lap dance and some semi-hot babe is willing to take his money and sell him one. This is a crime? What's the harm?

Why are limited LEO resources being spent here when crimes against persons and property are an on-going problem in the same community?

It's almost as bad as the SWAT team rading the weekly quarter-ante poker game in some guy's garage. Why are our priorities so screwed up?

Maybe my priorities are screwed up, but I just don't see any reason to spend taxpayer money and LEO man-hours on crap like this.

5. Purge

Purge New Member

Victimless crimes are very profitable for politicians and corporations. Think about it corporations that own and manage prisons are traded on the stock exchange… the more prisoners the more the profit. I stumbled upon this site and it has some good info.

Mother Jones .com

HOW WE GOT TO TWO MILLION
    How did the Land of the Free become the world's leading jailer?

“But while there are more critics of prisons today, there are also more interest groups with a financial stake in the incarceration complex -- groups with a powerful incentive to ensure that the influx of inmates continues. Private, for-profit prison corporations are a multibillion dollar industry. Other companies reap hundreds of millions of dollars annually by providing health care, phones, food, and other services in correctional facilities. Many small towns and rural communities, their traditional industries in decline, lobby for new prisons in their areas. Such forces are working actively to increase the number of citizens being locked up. Private prison companies contribute to a policy group called the American Legislative Exchange Council that has helped draft tougher sentencing laws in dozens of states, and the California prison guards union doles out millions every election to tough-on-crime candidates.â€