SVD- Dragonov Type Rifle

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by CockedandLocked, Oct 19, 2010.

1. CockedandLocked

CockedandLocked New Member

Need to find a SVD. Anyone know any wholesalers with them?

2. ed4

ed4 Active Member

Goodluck. Last ones I saw for sale were CDNN and several years ago. You can call them and ask if they by chance have any.

I bought 2 of them at different times from them. Still have one.

3. CockedandLocked

Thanks. I kinda answered my own question as well. PSL is the other thing i was looking for.

4. ed4

ed4 Active Member

In all honesty PSL is not a Dragunov or Dragunov style weapon it's an over grown AK. I have the early import model Romak3. Only things they share are Russian SVD and Chinese Type 79/NDM-86 is cartridge 7.62x54R, and scope rail. It's marketing that's why they call it a Dragunov or Dragunov style rifle.

SVD uses short stroke gas system similar to that of the SKS, free float barrel, milled receiver, trigger pack that comes out of the receiver as an assembly similar to the M1 Garand.

PSL/Romak3 uses long stroke gas system like that found on the AK, AK fire control group, stamped receiver, AK iron sights(front and rear SVD has similar rear totally different front).

5. CockedandLocked

I figured if anyone could let me know the difference it would be you. Thanks Ed!

6. Pandashire

Pandashire New Member

Q: I see PSLs but no SVDs. Why isn't someone importing or building an SVD clone?
    A: They are banned from import by the 1989 restrictions by name and in 1994, Russia agreed to stop exporting Hunting versions of the SVD into the USA. No one is making one here because it would be too expensive and a US made SVD would loose its Russian mystique. In short, its not profitable.

7. ed4

ed4 Active Member

Anytime. :)