Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man awarded $1.3M after surveillance video contradicts deputies’ version of arrest

A federal jury awarded a Central Texas man more than $1.3 million in response to a civil lawsuit against Caldwell County deputies who *arrested him on charges that were never prosecuted by the district attorney’s office.
http://kxan.com/2017/09/22/video-ju...lion-in-dispute-of-deputys-version-of-arrest/

Well imagine that, no shock there. If it weren't for surveillance video this fellow would be in prison right now.

Makes you kind of want to go out and buy surveillance video for all of your property doesn't it?

·
I watch the watchers
12,885 Posts
If you can't trust the police to tell the truth, who Can you trust?

·
7 Year Member
399 Posts
He should be in prison.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,906 Posts
All police officers might want to remember that there are eyes everywhere now, in case any of them are ever tempted to lie.

·
Swollen Member
11,969 Posts

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not what you know it's what you can prove, right? 3 highly decorated officers said you did something, so it must be a fact right?

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Poor Man spent 10 days in jail, before a magistrate saw his video and saw that all three officers were officially lying in their reports.

10 days is long enough for most men to lose their good job that they had, all on a bunch of lies.

Minus the video, this is how people are falsely convicted of crimes that they never committed and spend decades in prison.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,174 Posts
All 3 cops should be state guests. Sharing their experiences with friend and neighbors.

Nemo

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
KXAN previously spoke with Sheriff Daniel Law who says he spoke with the deputies about how the situation could have been handled better. Still, the county’s legal response states the deputies “were acting within the scope of their duties†and that they qualify for immunity from prosecution.
This could explain the problem.

·
69,784 Posts
Sheriff Daniel Law who says he spoke with the deputies about how the situation could have been handled better.
Gee, I hope it was a stern talking to . . . :roll:

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe they all sat back and laughed about how awesome that leg sweep was.

I just want everyone to understand that just because a large number of deputies say something happened, doesn't mean that it did happen. Don't be so quick to condemn somebody on the words of a large number of deputies.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts

·
Registered
9,458 Posts

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
$350,000 worth of awesome.
I don't think the officers care, it's not their money, it's not their savings, it's not their payroll check, it's not their pensions, it's not their 401ks, it's the taxpayers, so they really don't feel the hurt.

However, I believe they should.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
I don't think the officers care, it's not their money, it's not their savings, it's not their payroll check, it's not their pensions, it's not their 401ks, it's the taxpayers, so they really don't feel the hurt.

However, I believe they should.
It's a sheriff's office, so recall or next election they can get someone that cares.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,174 Posts
IIRC punitive damages in cases like that are not dischargeable in bankruptcy and highly likely not covered by most insurance policies.

I would not be at all surprised that cop is deep on the hook with about no way off. Might be one of those things where he has to basically own or earn nothing. For a long time.

Nemo

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
IIRC punitive damages in cases like that are not dischargeable in bankruptcy and highly likely not covered by most insurance policies.

I would not be at all surprised that cop is deep on the hook with about no way off. Might be one of those things where he has to basically own or earn nothing. For a long time.

Nemo
I wonder if the guy will take the awards and move? Not sure I would want to stay there.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.