Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear mzmtg:

Thank you for contacting tme regarding H.R. 1022, the Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007.

H.R. 1022, the Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007, was introduced February 13, 2007 to reauthorize the assault weapons ban. This bill reinstates the previously repealed provisions regarding assault weapons and large ammunition feeding devices. It prohibits the transfer of these weapons except through a licensed dealer, and asks that a record be established with the make, model, and date of manufacture when the weapon is used to commit a criminal act.

The bill goes further to revise the definition of "semiautomatic assault weapon" to include conversion kits and any semiautomatic rifle or pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine. The legislation has been referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary where it awaits consideration.

H.R. 1022 is a move to limit our rights protected by the Second Amendment. While it is imperative that we ensure the safety of our communities, we must not undermine the rights of law abiding citizens.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and concerns. Please know I will keep your views in mind as this bill progresses through Congress.

Yours truly,

Tom Price, M.D.
Member of Congress
So, he's not automatically opposed to this bill. This is a very disappointing response from Dr. Price.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To fisk, lightly:

...and asks that a record be established with the make, model, and date of manufacture when the weapon is used to commit a criminal act.
As far as I know, the law doesn't "ask" for anything. Also, is he implying that it's only a matter of time before the evil weapon in question will be used in a crime?

While it is imperative that we ensure the safety of our communities,...
I think we all know this law wouldn't make anyone safer from anything.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Be happy you actually get a unique response from your legislator. After dozens of emails on every topic imaginable, I still get THIS!!! EVERY TIME!!!

Thank you for contacting me via e-mail. I appreciate hearing from you and
learning your views.

Unfortunately, due to the volume of mail that I receive, I am unable to
provide an individual response to each letter. Rest assured that I read
every piece of mail sent to me.

If you have a personal problem or a problem dealing with a federal agency,
please contact my office at 404-659-0116.

Please note that I cannot accept attachments. If you are sending an
invitation, please fax your request to my Washington, D.C. office at (202)
225-0351 or to my Atlanta office at (404) 331-0947. If you are inquiring
about a tour, please send an email message to [email protected]
indicating the date(s) you will be in Washington and the number of people
in your group.

Again, thank you for taking time to contact me.

Sincerely,
John Lewis
Member of Congress
I also call his local office and give a quick synopsis of my viewpoint to whichever staff member answers the phone. I never get anything back from those at all.

I keep :banghead: over and over and over. I'm going to be on a firstname basis with all of them whether I get canned responses or not. Someone is going to listen to me, I don't care if it's the Humane society at this point :banghead:.

I try really hard. I spend a lot of time on all these emails, letters and phone-calls... I try to sound intelligent, concerned and try to appear as if I'm educated. I just get crapped on, it seems. I want him to take the time to at least speak to me individually. I have a request for a meeting in from a few weeks back... maybe I'll get 5 min face to face before I move the F OUT OF DEKALB.

Just be somewhat happy you get something directed back at you. I send more emails and phonecalls to this guy than 99% of the people in his district I bet and all I keep getting are these lousy "Thanks for your input" responses. It's aggravating!!!! Too bad I'm not easily fooled, lol!

Rant Over. :D

·
Registered
123 Posts
A couple of years ago, I called Cynthia McKinney's local office to voice some opposition to a bill she was supporting. The aide basically told me that they did not care about opposing opinions, and that she would vote the way she wanted to. Essentially, her constituents could go take a flying leap if they didn't agree with her.

I would bet that Lewis feels the same way, but has slightly more polite staff workers responding to voters.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts