Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Republicans have a long history of favoring small government except when it comes to surveillance and security, at which point civil liberties take a back seat. Last week, however, 26 Republicans in the House demonstrated a remarkable consistency by joining 122 Democrats to prevent the extension of three questionable provisions of the Patriot Act, the post-9/11 law created during the Bush administration.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/13/opinion/13sun1.html?_r=1&hp

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
Well maybe the Tea Party hasn't been totally co-opted! :righton:

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
I have contacted both Saxby Chambliss and Jonny Isakson.

This is the message I sent from both myself and my wife. Feel free to edit it and send messages to them as well.

The federal government has been rightly criticized for its sneak-and-peek searches and warrantless wiretapping of law-abiding Americans under the auspices of the 2001 USA Patriot Act. These practices violate the Fourth Amendment to the Constitution, our supreme law of the land. That’s why presidential candidate Barack Obama reasonably pledged in 2008 to reform the Patriot Act once in office. But in office, he has done the opposite, pushing against reform bills in 2009 and working to further expand his surveillance authorities in 2010. Please help stop the federal government from further intrusions into the lives of law abiding citizens. If the feds have reasonable suspicions, let them get a warrant.

As Benjamin Franklin said, "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
This is the response I got from Saxby Chambliss to my letter:

Dear Mr. xxxxxxx:

Thank you for contacting me to share your thoughts regarding the PATRIOT Act. I appreciate hearing from you.

Since its passage following the September 11, 2001, attacks, the "Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism" (commonly referred to as "PATRIOT") Act and its subsequent reauthorizations have been an integral tool in a number of successful operations to protect Americans from terrorist plots.

I believe this legislation is consistent with existing civil liberties and embodies a spirit of prevention and balance. The PATRIOT Act streamlines anti-terrorism law so that it is uniform with other areas of criminal enforcement. For example, the legislation allows federal agents to obtain library, medical, or financial records with a court-ordered search warrant. These kinds of searches have routinely been granted in other types of criminal investigations. Similarly, the legislation authorizes the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court to approve a court order so that federal agents can continue surveillance on a target who switches telephones or e-mail addresses to evade surveillance. This "roving" authority, based upon the successful roving provision in the federal criminal wiretap statutes, allows the Intelligence Community to track suspected terrorists and spies to the same extent that federal law enforcement can hunt drug dealers and other ordinary, domestic criminals.

In February 2010, President Obama signed into law a one-year extension of certain expiring provisions of the "USA PATRIOT Improvement and Reauthorization Act of 2005" and "Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004." Specifically, three provisions were extended: (1) the roving surveillance authority; (2) the authorization for the Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) to apply for a court order requiring production of tangible things, not merely business records, for national security investigations; and (3) an amendment to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978 (FISA) that redefines "agent of a foreign power" to include any non-U.S. person who engages in international terrorism or activities in preparation for such terrorism ("lone wolf" provision). The extension of these three provisions is set to expire on February 28, 2011.

On February 3, 2011, a series of bills, S. 289, S. 290, and S. 291, pertaining to the reauthorization of the PATRIOT Act were introduced. I am an original co-sponsor of S. 291, the "USA PATRIOT Reauthorization Act of 2011," which would repeal the sunset provisions in the USA PATRIOT Improvement and Reauthorization Act of 2005 and other related provisions in order to permanently reauthorize the PATRIOT Act.

All of the PATRIOT Act provisions are subjected to rigorous congressional oversight. The Department of Justice is required to submit to Congress annual reports on the various provisions in the bill, and multiple congressional committees regularly request additional information to ensure that American's civil liberties are protected. The PATRIOT Act is an indispensible tool for disrupting terrorism. We have found that the PATRIOT Act has greatly curtailed terrorists' abilities to operate.

I supported passage of the original and reauthorized versions of the PATRIOT Act, and I continue to monitor its effectiveness in our overall war on terrorism through my work as Vice Chairman on the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence and as a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee. The Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution is a protection that I and all Americans value highly. I will do everything in my power to protect the civil liberties enjoyed by American citizens, while enabling the intelligence community to do its job.

If you would like to receive timely email alerts regarding the latest congressional actions and my weekly e-newsletter, please sign up via my web site at: www.chambliss.senate.gov. Please let me know whenever I may be of assistance.
So basically, thanks for your concern, but we know better than you do.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Great video by Rand Paul on the Patriot Act. Not completely sold on Rand quite yet, but I am very encouraged by this video. Sadly my Rep voted for extension. :( The extension passed 275-144 in the House today.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
:censored: :(

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
We went through a couple of world wars without it and we don't need it now. It's just too oppressive which is not surprising if you know who wrote it. That would be Joe Biden.

Screw the Patriot Act!

·
Registered
298 Posts
bdee said:
This is the response I got from Saxby Chambliss to my letter:

Dear Mr. xxxxxxx:

Thank you for contacting me to share your thoughts regarding the PATRIOT Act. I appreciate hearing from you.

Since its passage following the September 11, 2001, attacks, the "Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism" (commonly referred to as "PATRIOT") Act and its subsequent reauthorizations have been an integral tool in a number of successful operations to protect Americans from terrorist plots.

I believe this legislation is consistent with existing civil liberties and embodies a spirit of prevention and balance. The PATRIOT Act streamlines anti-terrorism law so that it is uniform with other areas of criminal enforcement. For example, the legislation allows federal agents to obtain library, medical, or financial records with a court-ordered search warrant. These kinds of searches have routinely been granted in other types of criminal investigations. Similarly, the legislation authorizes the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court to approve a court order so that federal agents can continue surveillance on a target who switches telephones or e-mail addresses to evade surveillance. This "roving" authority, based upon the successful roving provision in the federal criminal wiretap statutes, allows the Intelligence Community to track suspected terrorists and spies to the same extent that federal law enforcement can hunt drug dealers and other ordinary, domestic criminals.

In February 2010, President Obama signed into law a one-year extension of certain expiring provisions of the "USA PATRIOT Improvement and Reauthorization Act of 2005" and "Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004." Specifically, three provisions were extended: (1) the roving surveillance authority; (2) the authorization for the Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) to apply for a court order requiring production of tangible things, not merely business records, for national security investigations; and (3) an amendment to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978 (FISA) that redefines "agent of a foreign power" to include any non-U.S. person who engages in international terrorism or activities in preparation for such terrorism ("lone wolf" provision). The extension of these three provisions is set to expire on February 28, 2011.

On February 3, 2011, a series of bills, S. 289, S. 290, and S. 291, pertaining to the reauthorization of the PATRIOT Act were introduced. I am an original co-sponsor of S. 291, the "USA PATRIOT Reauthorization Act of 2011," which would repeal the sunset provisions in the USA PATRIOT Improvement and Reauthorization Act of 2005 and other related provisions in order to permanently reauthorize the PATRIOT Act.

All of the PATRIOT Act provisions are subjected to rigorous congressional oversight. The Department of Justice is required to submit to Congress annual reports on the various provisions in the bill, and multiple congressional committees regularly request additional information to ensure that American's civil liberties are protected. The PATRIOT Act is an indispensible tool for disrupting terrorism. We have found that the PATRIOT Act has greatly curtailed terrorists' abilities to operate.

I supported passage of the original and reauthorized versions of the PATRIOT Act, and I continue to monitor its effectiveness in our overall war on terrorism through my work as Vice Chairman on the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence and as a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee. The Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution is a protection that I and all Americans value highly. I will do everything in my power to protect the civil liberties enjoyed by American citizens, while enabling the intelligence community to do its job.

If you would like to receive timely email alerts regarding the latest congressional actions and my weekly e-newsletter, please sign up via my web site at: http://www.chambliss.senate.gov. Please let me know whenever I may be of assistance.
So basically, thanks for your concern, but we know better than you do.
Does it surprise you? Isakson once replied to my inquiry on term limits by saying he disagreed with my stand on it due to his opinion that the American people speak through the ballot box. Of course they would feel this way, they are career politicians. I wont even waste my time with writing either one of them. It will get no where because they will continue to fall lock and step into the republican party or whomever gets them re-elected. Im sure they would switch sides if it helped them get elected.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts