Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
8-1 ruling says that their Christian protests are a form of protected speech.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/03 ... urt-rules/

"Speech is powerful. It can stir people to action, move them to tears of both joy and sorrow, and -- as it did here -- inflict great pain," Chief Justice John Roberts wrote in his majority opinion. "On the facts before us, we cannot react to that pain by punishing the speaker. As a nation we have chosen a different course -- to protect even hurtful speech on public issues to ensure that we do not stifle public debate."
Apparently the Christian group hates homosexuals, Obama, Muslims, and thinks military funerals are the place to express their ideas. It sounds like they are just the most shrill voices in the crowd, and most simply object to their choice of venue. They are a worrying sign of the growing intolerance in this country.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Ohh, Alito, I am disappointed.

Those baptists clowns are nuts, but let the court of decide how to respond to them.

It definitely shouldn't be illegal to do what they do.

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alito is the one who wanted to ban this group's speech. The rest said it was ok.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
But I don't think you'd find much sympathy if the entire lot of them suddenly "fell down" a flight of stairs. You know... By accident of course...

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Glad to see it as lopsided as it was, but I'm disappointed in Alito too.

This should have been a 9-0 decision in my opinion.

On a side note - Dang, those Westboro people are idiots.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Is what they do legal? Yes ....Is it moral? Most definitely not. I can't believe there has not been more violence incurred by their protest.

You let them show up at one of my loved ones funeral and I assure you it wouldn't be pretty.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Zworley3 said:
Is what they do legal? Yes ....Is it moral? Most definitely not. I can't believe there has not been more violence incurred by their protest.

You let them show up at one of my loved ones funeral and I assure you it wouldn't be pretty.
Morals have nothing to do with laws anymore. Maybe at one point they did, but even then, I doubt it.

It is encouraging to see that there hasn't really been any violence towards these people. It speaks VOLUMES of the tolerance and restraint we have in this country.

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe their views to be extreme. But in many cases they are just more shrill and vitriolic than other Christian groups in this country.
They refer to the Pope as a leader amongst pedophiles. Other groups have said the same thing.
They think homosexuality is a sin, and believe that the wages of sin are death. I've heard those things from people on this forum.
They are opposed to abortion. I agree that this is immoral, but don't go as far as saying abortion doctors should be killed, but other Christian groups have.
On Islam he's said, "Mohammed was a demon-possessed whoremonger and pedophile who contrived a 300-page work of Satanic fiction." I've heard people that claim to be Christian spout almost identical things on this website. It's a pretty common belief amongst the fundamentalist Christians.

They think Obama is the anti-Christ. I would imagine quite a few Christian groups fear this.

They say that 9/11 was basically retribution for our sinful ways. Didn't Rev. Jeremiah Wright say basically the same thing?

So it sounds like the real problem is the venue.

·
Registered
383 Posts
JeF4y said:
Zworley3 said:

Morals have nothing to do with laws anymore. Maybe at one point they did, but even then, I doubt it.

It is encouraging to see that there hasn't really been any violence towards these people. It speaks VOLUMES of the tolerance and restraint we have in this country.
I completely agree, I am simply speaking from a personal perspective not legal or other.

I believe what you call tolerance and restraint I call a lack of testicular fortitude. Stand up for these men and women who gave their lives for our freedom, they deserve better.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Zworley3 said:
JeF4y said:
Zworley3 said:

I completely agree, I am simply speaking from a personal perspective not legal or other.

I believe what you call tolerance and restraint I call a lack of testicular fortitude. Stand up for these men and women who gave their lives for our freedom, they deserve better.
Would I have beaten one almost to death if they had done this at my dads funeral? Yes without a moment of hesistation I would have pummeled one of them. Do I hate what they're doing? Yes and it sickens me to the core knowing they have no compassion for soldiers who die in the line of protecting this country.

But what they do is a part of the same paper you and I do our best to defend. If we were to infringe on theirs then we can expect ours to go down the same road too.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Zworley3 said:
Stand up for these men and women who gave their lives for our freedom, they deserve better.
What would you suggest, simple battery?

Aggravated assault?

Shouting them down? (Been there, done that, and felt like I was just adding to the family's grief rather than helping.)

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
mb90535im said:
Zworley3 said:
Stand up for these men and women who gave their lives for our freedom, they deserve better.
What would you suggest, simple battery?

Aggravated assault?

Shouting them down? (Been there, done that, and felt like I was just adding to the family's grief rather than helping.)
Patriot Gaurd Riders (Although it real tempting to just ride right into em!)

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe the other problem is the media. If they weren't getting all the attention everywhere they went, their message would stop spreading, and they'd find less reason to continue this behavior.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,994 Posts
This born-again, fundamentalist Christian is disgusted with the Westboro nuts. Their language and behavior are vile. I know the court ruled in favor of them on 1st Amendment grounds, but this is about more than just free speech. It's about behavior as well. They should not be allowed to harass the families of our valiant men and women who gave the ultimate sacrifice for our country.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Zworley3 said:
So you're saying it takes balls to beat the crap out of these idiots?

I respectfully disagree.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
TippinTaco said:
Would I have beaten one almost to death if they had done this at my dads funeral? Yes without a moment of hesistation I would have pummeled one of them. Do I hate what they're doing? Yes and it sickens me to the core knowing they have no compassion for soldiers who die in the line of protecting this country.

But what they do is a part of the same paper you and I do our best to defend. If we were to infringe on theirs then we can expect ours to go down the same road too.
Taco, help me out (seriously. not trying to stir the pot, just trying to understand). I've read your post 10x and I can't resolve the massive contradiction between the first & second paragraph.

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
He's saying he'd whoop that crap out of them if them came near him or his family, but defends their right to do it to other people.

·
Super Moderator
69,854 Posts
bdee, stop trolling. It is one thing to discuss the decision and free speech. It is quite another to start in with another one of your stupid "all you Christians are Westboro people" rants.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,914 Posts
I actually think our country has become more tolerant as a whole, the fact that these people are not dead or severely beaten up, shows the incredible tolerance of the families of the dead soldiers and others that it really ticks off.

I'm glad they ruled for free speech. Its a good thing. Free speech is a paramount right in a Republic.

The best way to stop these Westboro Baptist Church idiots is the free market. Like those guys on the motorcycle. Beat them at their own game. It really is a shame there are even people like this out there, but we all know we can't really legally do anything to make them stop. Like I said, let the free market deal with this. Beat this at their own game.

If I saw their vans on fire with them inside, I don't even think I'd urinate on it, to try and help to put out the flames. Jerks.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts