Suppressors

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by DrGlock, Jan 28, 2007.

1. DrGlock

DrGlock New Member

Question:

While at the gun show in Savannah, there were some folks out of Macon selling suppressors (sp?).
    How much do these thisngs really muffles the sound.
    Please, of possible, respond in examples, not db levels, as I would like to have something to go by. My shooting buddy tells me it will take a 9mm and bring the noise level down to a 22 LR, but I thought they did a lot more than that.

Maybe I've seen too many movies!

Oh, and Ram, Im glad you did well carrying at walmart, I conceal carry there always, actually I always conceal carry, how do you think open carry with a Taurus Raging Bull 44 mag would do? :lol:

2. Foul

Foul New Member

Are you sure they weren't flash suppressors?

3. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Hey DrGlock,

I know you didn't want it is decibel levels, but I'll try to make it relevant to a sound level you would know.

The decibel level for a 9mm gunshot is approximately 140 dB which is equivalent to hearing a jet engine take off.

AAC rates their suppressor the EVO-9 at reducing the level by 35dB when dry. 105dB is about the sound level of a power mower. Add water to the suppressor and you'll get around a 30% reduction in sound (10.5dB).

People talk to each other at the 60-70dB range, so the suppressor is only mildly louder than a conversation when you apply water; and not much louder than that without it.

In summation:
    gunshot == jet takeoff
    dry suppressor == power mower
    wet suppressor == loud conversation

----

Yeah, I'm surprised it went so well.

Open carry a Raging Bull?! :shock:

Please let me know when you plan to do that. I want to see the look on peoples faces. :D

4. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Active Member

I shot a suppressed pistol at our last meet and greet. It was a .22LR and it sounded alot like an air rifle discharging. If you're using super sonic rounds then you will also hear the "crack" of the bullet downrage. Suppressors are only really effective when you use sub sonic rounds. So if you're wanting to get a suppressor for a 9mm, it would be best to use it with the 147gr. subsonic loads if you're looking for the most suppression of the gunshot.

5. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

check out the forum at www.silencertalk.com and you can read up on all the latest technology. Several of us on this board are members there.

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

As an aside...

anyone that frequents silencertest.com know when the next shoot is?

7. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

It is gonna be in the spring, but as far as I know the date is not set. Bookhound on the silencertalk board is supposed to let me know. I will be there, Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise.
    GaLEO on the silencertalk board btw.....