Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow GCO'ers and GPDO'ers, I'm asking for your support.

SB 18 has been introduced this session. It will remove the exclusion in 38-2-54 OCGA that denies employment protection to the soldiers serving in Georgia State Defense Force.

We've got more than a few GSDF soldiers posting on this board as a matter of fact.

GSDF soldiers serve without pay and we all provide our own gear and uniforms. We get paid no mileage for attending drill, nor for travelling to Fort Stewart for exercises and annual training. We work very closely with the Georgia Army National Guard, including training at Fort Stewart. Can't talk about that training publicly but if you're interested in learning more, there's plenty of recruiters on this board you can talk to privately.

All I'm asking you as a soldier and an NCO who wants to look after his troops is for employment protection. Right now, soldiers have to miss out on training because stubborn employers refuse to grant even a few hours of time off.

Please take a few minutes to contact your State Senators and Representatives and ask them to get this bill passed.

Thank you and hooah!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Thanks for getting the work out CPL.

I am blessed enough to lead a platoon of these fine soldiers. The least the state could due is protect their jobs if ordered to state active duty. These men and women take time away from their families and give it to you, the tax payers of Georgia.

Please support your soldiers and contact you State Senator and Reps.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
Where is the evidence that GSDF folks are denied? You have to give me that first.

·
I watch the watchers
12,883 Posts
CountryGun said:
Where is the evidence that GSDF folks are denied? You have to give me that first.
Should we wait until someone loses their job, and then become concerned for their well-being?
In this economy, it may be months or more before another source of income is found to make up for that lost because they volunteered their own time and finances to serve.

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Throw together a quick on line support petition and I can get a few people to sign it. That is easier than trying to get people to do emails or calls and let's you put a fully incorporated document in their hands when it comes time. You guys aren't volunteering for Extreme Home Makeover...you are doing it for our safety and I KNOW ( I live in Savannah and know some local GSDF) the training you guys provide help keep our "regular" army and NG up to speed. :wink:

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
CountryGun said:
There are many GSDF Soldiers that are uable to attend training because their employer refuses to let them off. Some will even dictate that they can only take one vacation day at the time knowing full well that they need 2. I don't know the exact Ga code where this is found but as a GSDF Soldier I know that we do not have work place protection like the guard does. Everything we do is voluntary and we understand that going in, but, we provide a vital mission service to the state of Ga. and can put more boots on the ground faster than the National Guard can. That has been proven in the past with support missions for Katrina, Hatian refugees, etc. This bill will allow us to better serve our State and the citizens in it. PARATI SERVIRE!!!!

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
CountryGun said:
This is actually the chief reason I have not joined. My employer will allow NG / Reserves off w/out pay to attend training but doesn't recognize GSDF as either. I have checked. So yes I believe these folks deserve our support.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Copperhead said:
Thanks for getting the work out CPL
Oops! :oops: Forgot to update my sig line. Was promoted to SGT in December.

·
Registered
420 Posts
CountryGun said:
OCGA Section 38-2-50: “All duties imposed by the military law or other statutes of this state or by regulations issued thereunder upon the units, commissioned officers, warrant officers and enlisted personnel, respectively, of the State Defense Force. All rights, privileges, and immunities conferred by the military law or other statutes of the state or by regulations issued thereunder upon the units, commissioned officers, warrant officers and enlisted personnel of the Georgia National Guard or of the organized militia are conferred upon the units, commissioned officers, warrant officers, and enlisted personnel, respectively, of the State Defense Force (except certain job protections since 2002)…Such rights, privileges, and immunities include relief form civil or criminal liability for acts done while on duty….â€

I do not know what happened in the Legislature in 2002 but that year the protections offered by the Soldiers and Sailors Act were stripped from SDF soldiers.

·
Registered
420 Posts
§ 38-2-54. Duties, privileges, and immunities

All duties imposed by the military law or other statutes of the state or by regulations issued thereunder upon units, commissioned officers, warrant officers, and enlisted personnel of the organized militia are imposed upon the units, commissioned officers, warrant officers, and enlisted personnel, respectively, of the State Defense Force. All rights, privileges, and immunities conferred by the military law or other statutes of the state or by regulations issued thereunder upon the units, commissioned officers, warrant officers, and enlisted personnel of the Georgia National Guard or of the organized militia are conferred upon the units, commissioned officers, warrant officers, and enlisted personnel, respectively, of the State Defense Force except as otherwise prescribed in this chapter; provided, however, that the provisions of Code Sections 38-2-279 and 38-2-280 shall not be applicable to personnel of the State Defense Force. Such rights, privileges, and immunities include relief from civil or criminal liability for acts done while on duty; rights to pay, allowances, and other compensation; expenses and subsistence; arms, uniforms, and equipment; provision, maintenance, use, and control of armories; eligibility to appointment on the military staff of the Governor; exemption from civil process and from jury duty; right of way; right to wear the uniform and to parade with firearms; and all other rights, privileges, and immunities created by statute or custom not hereinbefore specifically enumerated.

The 2 sections we are exempted from are:
§ 38-2-279. Rights of public officers and employees absent on military duty as members of organized militia or reserve forces
§ 38-2-280. Reemployment in private industry; various types of absences; injunction to compel; Attorney General's aid

But the state see it fit we receive the other immunities and privileges the rest of the GaDOD employees receive (which is a long list) when called in to active duty. When called to state active duty, such as in an emergency (natural disaster, terrorist attack, or other situation) soldiers may face jail time if they fail to report. It puts them in an uncomfortable position. They I keep my job and face jail time?

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
Good information all! Thanks to everyone! Now, I can support the bill with a better understanding of the shortcomings in the law, but exemption from jury duty? I didn't think anyone got that. :eek:

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,723 Posts
CountryGun said:
Good information all! Thanks to everyone! Now, I can support the bill with a better understanding of the shortcomings in the law, but exemption from jury duty? I didn't think anyone got that. :eek:
its because they could be called at anytime to act...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts