Support for gun control dwindling in America

Discussion in 'In the News' started by adcurt, Oct 11, 2007.

1. adcurt

adcurt New Member

Gallup has a new poll out that they're able to compare against years of data and the news is not good, but it's encouraging. The link goes to further info and some really detailed data on who wants gun control. Neat.

--- http://www.galluppoll.com/content/?ci=28978

October 11, 2007
    Shrunken Majority Now Favors Stricter Gun Laws

Percentage favoring stricter gun laws has declined in recent years, while most still oppose handgun ban

by Lydia Saad
    GALLUP NEWS SERVICE

PRINCETON, NJ -- The gap between the proportion of Americans advocating stricter gun laws and those in favor of maintaining or weakening existing gun laws -- once nearly 60 points in favor of stronger gun control, and registering 14 points a year ago -- is just four points in Gallup's latest poll. According to the Oct. 4-7, 2007, survey, 51% of Americans believe the laws governing the sale of firearms should be more strict. When combined, the percentages saying the laws should either be kept as they are or made less strict is nearly as high (47%).

In numerous measures of this question between 1990 and 2000, no fewer than 60% of Americans favored the "more strict" option, producing a consistently sizeable gap in favor of the more gun-control oriented position.

There was a significant change in October 2001, one month after the 9/11 terrorist attacks. In that survey, the percentage favoring stricter gun laws fell to 53%, narrowing the gap between this view and those favoring the status quo or weaker laws to only 7 points. This gap remained low in 2002, but then subsequently swelled to double digits for most of the period from 2003 to 2006, only shrinking again to this year's 4 points. Given that the country is entering a national election year, a time when gun control issues would normally be expected to be debated, the latest results are a notable reversal.

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

It's still over half... :(

3. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Good thing the Constitution is the final word and public opinion means absolutely nothing. :wink:

4. phaed

phaed Active Member

i only wish that were true.

5. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

I don't put much stock in these polls.

The vast, vast, vast majority of people don't know what current gun laws are.

That doesn't put them in a very good position to evaluate them. The opinions in these polls are almost certainly based on ignorance and the image of gun buying as virtually unrestricted that is perpetuated in the media.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

:righton: My thoughts exactly. It is still good to see a favorable trend, though.

7. adcurt

adcurt New Member

I second Malum. Citizens don't even know their rights, let alone what laws there are on gun control. But the trend is encouraging because if even the ignorant are changing their attitude then I'm encouraged.