Featured Sunday Church Shooting - Texas

Discussion in 'In the News' started by NTA, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Strongly agree 61.82% (34 votes)

Agree 1.82% (1 votes)

Don't know 1.82% (1 votes)

Disagree 12.73% (7 votes)

Strongly disagree 21.81% (12 votes)

2. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

Before anyone goes to that link try to find through a search for "After Texas shooting, Trump and politicians show how mental they are"

Copy and paste to a browser. It can be linked through the above link but there is not a poll. I wonder if one goes there first if there is a poll.

3. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Active Member

AP is repeating church shooter was shot twice by citizen, once by himself. 15 empty 30 round magazines found on-scene.

4. mountainpass

5. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

6. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Active Member

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  7. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG2Z35EFO-A[/ame]

8. johnski

johnski Active Member

The Hero, motorcycle Santa

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4HEchh0XD8[/ame]

Ran out with an AR-15 with a "handful of ammo" and no shoes.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  9. NTA

NTA Active Member

TX Governor says he was denied a "gun permit" yet the sporting goods store sold him several guns since AF did not note his conviction in the criminal database.

Maybe the killer told the truth on his gun permit application.

10. mountainpass

I've wondered this all day. I mean how else?

11. janedoedad

janedoedad Liver Abuser

Texas CWP (or whatever it is called) has requirements beyond what is required for firearm purchase.

Reasons Texas can and will deny a carry permit:

* Felony convictions (permanent) and Class A or B misdemeanors (5 years, permanent in cases of domestic violence), including charges that resulted in probation or deferred adjudication

* Pending criminal charges (indefinite until resolved)

* Chemical or alcohol dependency (defined as 2 convictions for substance-related offenses in a 10-year period; 10-year ban from the date of the first conviction)

* Certain types of psychological diagnoses (indefinite until the condition is testified by a medical professional as being in remission)

* Protective or restraining orders (indefinite until rescinded)

* Defaults on taxes, student loans, child support and/or other governmental fees (indefinite until resolved)

Entirely possible that one of these prohibitions may have been the reason for denial.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  12. Marine6212

Marine6212 Active Member

According to the Macon-bibb sheriff, churches in Georgia are not off limits to guns unless their is a sign prohibiting them.

http://wgxa.tv/news/local/what-you-need-to-know-before-bringing-your-gun-to-church

13. GAfirearmsReference

GAfirearmsReference Weapons Law Booklet

misunderstanding

Eric Mock's news report quotes the Sheriff as saying that, thanks to HB 60, the Safe Carry Protection Act, you can carry in a church unless the church is posted as off-limits.

But, the actual video footage of the Sheriff himself doesn't contain any such quote.

So, maybe the reporter got it wrong. Maybe the reporter read the law and misunderstood it, or is going by something he heard from some other person or read somewhere online, rather than the Sheriff himself.

If Sheriff David Davis really thinks that this is the law, we should gently remind him that it's not the case, and that Gov. Deal has vetoed church carry legislation that would have made it easier for GWL holders to carry at church.

We'd LIKE the law to be as the Sheriff thinks it is, but it's not. And the Sheriff should be supplying good information, not misinformation, to the public.

14. Taurus92

YOU might like for signs to carry weight, but not this "We", and I can't think of anyone else that wants that. Well, outside of the gun control people.

15. Glockenator

Glockenator heathen infidel savage

It is my understanding, and I could be mistaken, that church carry in Georgia is legal, but only if the church you are attending has either given you permission specifically, or that its bylaws give the general congregation permission. And if neither of those situations exist, then it is illegal.

However, I imagine that overall, Georgia church carry has been "decriminalized", and if you happen to be discovered and reported (without having committed any other crime), then it would be treated as a petty offense. Like concealed carry on Corps Of Engineer land. But I could be mistaken about that too.

Any lawyers wanna chime in on this?

16. Taurus92

From this thread on this subject

It's not a pick and choose, it's either they allow carry or they don't. That's not to say there wouldn't be problems if you didn't play by their rules, but as Tim pointed out this was discussed before (iirc it was JRM, but don't quote me).

17. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

So he got certified then let it expire without ever renewing it? More than likely never taught a class or was unable to get any registered students so just quit. The NRA is not the best at promoting their classes. They do their best work at promoting themselves and fundraising. Training programs are buried and not pushed as they should be.

18. Taurus92

Also, the shooting wiped out 4% of the town, so it's possible within a two year period, he trained everybody that wanted training in such a small audience. The problem with such small towns is the scale of the economy doesn't support a lot of services.

19. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

20. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator