Featured Sunday Church Shooting - Texas

Discussion in 'In the News' started by NTA, Nov 5, 2017.

1. GM404

GM404 Active Member

Very true. I'm going to give it about 72 hours for the media to stop reporting all the chaff and see what the actual facts are...maybe then we will be able to figure out some of the missing pieces.

My opinion is that this type of reporting is inherently flawed. The press wants a single answer, an easy answer to the 'why' question for their "if it bleeds, it leads" way of doing business. These shootings are similar to aviation accidents in that is rarely just one thing that goes wrong...instead, it's a cascade of failures that results in the tragedy.

2. NTA

NTA Active Member

I'm going to give it a month then compare the facts coming from the news to what we know about Las Vegas

3. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

You might be waiting longer than 72 hours. It's been a month since Vegas and we're still waiting.

4. Taurus92

You beat me by seconds!

I expect this one to fade even faster.

1) The victims were white church goers.
    2) The perp was stopped by a good guy with a gun, which is darn near impossible to gloss over, but they will and then bury it.
    3) One source claims the good guy had an EBR (AR15) and used it to prevent even more deaths.

None of this fits their agenda except gun violence.

5. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Active Member

CNN is now reporting that the shooter was denied a carry license:

6. RedDawnTheMusical

Also from CNN's latest developments:
    They also stated he had in-laws that attended that church, but they were not in attendance that day.

7. DonT

DonT Active Member

It would be a sad fact, if this church had a 30-06 "no guns allowed" sign posted. Did any of those church goers have guns, but left them in their cars due to that?

I would not be surprised, if that issue came up and was addressed in future Texas legislation. At least, that would be my hope. I wish Georgia would see wisdom on not banning guns in churches, as well.

8. Taurus92

That leaves out a lot of detail, but it is CNN. He dropped his rifle after encountering the good guy shooting at him and switched to a pistol. The rifle may have been empty at that point. Maybe in the car he shot himself, but that seems odd too. The driver of the chase vehicle said the shooter suddenly lost control and ran off the road and into a hay bale, so he shot himself while driving? Maybe, but weird.

Or maybe, the good guy wrestled the rifle away from the shooter and shot him with it.

Or, it's time for a media blackout.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  9. Taurus92

I won't hold my breath for the media to report on the sign issue. Texas might address it after this. Not so sure about here. :crossfinger:

10. DonT

DonT Active Member

11. Taurus92

That matches what I've heard, mostly from the chase driver. I find it interesting, you pull up to a shootout and let someone you don't know with a rifle get in your vehicle. That sounds odd, but I have to think body language and actions at the time were much more convincing than what we hear in the interview.

12. RedDawnTheMusical

Live update from authorities just broadcasted on Fox stated that church shooter was shot by citizen (which they commended for his actions) and that church shooter called his father while being pursued by citizen shooter and driver, telling his dad that he had been shot by the citizen and didn't think he was going to make it. They also stated three firearms were found (Ruger AR, Ruger .22 pistol, and Glock 9mm). Shooter was wearing ballistic vest with plate in the front. Shooter expressed anger against mother-in-law including threatening text. Mother-in-law attended the church but wasn't there that day. They stated that they don't have all of the details of his military discharge, so they are not sure if he was in legal possession of the firearms (purchased two locally, two in another state), but confirmed he was denied carry license.

13. Taurus92

RDTM must be hanging out in a sports bar all morning. CNN, Fox, etc. :drink:

Did they say there was a struggle over the AR? I've heard that from a couple reports, but it doesn't fit with other reports.

14. RedDawnTheMusical

Seriously? No one else hangs out at bars during the day? Well, now I'm starting to feel like some type of alcoholic freak....

No mention of struggle over the AR. I had heard that he dropped the AR when shot by the citizen, but they didn't confirm it today - just that the AR was dropped at the scene. Law enforcement did express unusual praise for the citizen shooter and the other citizen that drove the pursuit vehicle, leading authorities to the deceased church shooter. At one point they said that they would need to await an autopsy to determine cause of death, but then let it pretty-much slip that the church shooter shot himself and that was the cause of death.

15. Taurus92

Ok, so he was shot twice, once by the plumber and then by himself. Maybe they will post the press conference.

16. johnski

johnski Active Member

I keep hearing that the perp was engaged with a shotgun which got some pellets in between his plate +carrier. I could see why the police and more likely the fbi would say the guy shot himself to save the two heroes from having to be charged or face civil trials.

17. Taurus92

18. RedDawnTheMusical

At the press conference, law enforcement said that the citizen also had an AR (no mention of shotgun), but he may have been misstating things, thinking of the Church shooter’s AR.

19. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Why is this thread in "off topic" ? OFF TOPIC is for meaningless B.S. and rants and conspiracy theories and stuff.

A major news event involving another mass-shooting, and certainly prompting another round of calls for tighter gun control is NEWS-- [NATIONAL or OUTSIDE OF GEORGIA.]