Suit recommendations?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by 45_Fan, May 2, 2019.

1. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

I’m at a point where I need one or more good suits but I have some difficult challenges in fit that make off-the-rack suits less than ideal. I have greater than a 7” drop chest to waist and greater than a 7” difference between over arm and chest measurements.

Any suggestions on where to look or options to explore would be appreciated.

2. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

Mens warehouse has always treated me well. Plus they have in house tailors

Scout706 likes this.

3. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I second this. I bought my last one there and they offered to fit it around my IWB HK.

4. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

Another vote for Mens Warehouse. Bonus is they use a standardized system and a central database. You can get a suit emergency tailored at any store without having to go in for the initial fitting.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  5. atlsrt44

I like the one in buckhead. Always nice

6. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

The free pressing at any location is nice. When I went to my niece’s wedding in St Louis it was nice to get my suit pressed after unpacking.

7. psrumors

psrumors Well-Known Member

Yup, Men's WEARhouse....not warehouse

8. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

39D4AE9B-C35C-4DAF-9F60-3C409B008989.jpeg

(scene from "My Cousin Vinny")

9. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

10. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

11. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

. A seven inch drop is nothing. I have almost twice that. Here is what I do. Like Wegahe, I buy Joseph A Bank suits. Go online. Select clearance. Look for suits in charcoal grey, black, or dark navy (you should have one each of these three before branching out to different colors like navy, grey, etc.)

Do not select slim fit.

Do not try to get weird. Select the regular "classic" suit on clearance. Make sure you have your correct chest size (measure it properly, or get a tailor to measure it) and then look at the sizing chart for length. Suit length is a big issue. The thing I see all the time is that guys buy suits that are too short.

The jacket should cover your ass. If you relax your arms, you should be able to curl your fingers over the bottom hem of the jacket. It should be no shorter than that.

When the suit comes in, put on a dress shirt (more about that later) and a pair of dress shoes, and take the suit to your local Jos. A. Bank store. Call ahead to find out when the tailor is there. Yes, they will tell you to come any time and any store monkey will make chalk marks on your suit and give it to the tailor . . . not me. Get the tailor to take all the measurements.

My first Jos A Bank suit was purchased on the internet from the clearance section (charcoal grey) for $107. Tailoring ran around 50 bucks. It looks great. I have purchased everything since then from them on the internet on clearance. I have not yet been able to duplicate that $107 price, but I still get them relatively cheaply. I then take it into the store for tailoring.

Shirts

Get the tailor to measure your neck and sleeve length. Now you know. (Don't guess or "think" you know, especially based off your current shirts, most guys are way off on this). Go to Paul Frederick online and select white or light blue solid (again, you should have several of these before branching out, white is best with the three colors of dark suits above) shirts in straight collar or tab under collar only, slim fit. They will not need any more tailoring if you follow my instructions to the letter.

Make sure your ties are conservative. Stripes, if they look classic. A small pattern is ok. Take a look at Barack Obama's ties when he was President. Somebody in that office knew how to dress him for success. Mimicking that look can't go wrong.

Any questions?

Bullets and DonT like this.
  12. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

So the "gunsmoker" look is out? :mrgreen:
    [​IMG]

13. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Now that is a decent tie!

Nemo

14. Malum Prohibitum

You can not like him or his politics, but President Obama (or somebody on his staff) knew how to pick a tie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Google analytics show the most popular "suit" in the South is actually a camoflague suit.
    So, here you go. Just play it safe and go with the popular choice.

3D32057A-D50A-4775-9388-B45E8D435EC8.jpeg

16. atlsrt44

Now my reply looks bad. Thanks malum

17. Malum Prohibitum

. Nonsense. I am sure it is perfectly good advice. I am just sharing what I do, in case he finds it helpful, the same as you did.

18. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Yeah, a basic angle striped blue backgound tie. BORING.

Go for something outright hideous. Show the world you are good enough and have confidence enough to not get lost in the crowd. Let them know you are not just a basic hack lawyer. Dare to be different.

Nemo

19. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

If you buy Jos-A-Banks in store they will measure you, pick out an uncut suit for you to put on Measure, mark and have it tailored for a perfect fit. Cost a little more but well worth it for a suit that doesn't hang on you like it came off a rack. Jos-A-Banks cost a little more but Mens Wearhouse doesn't compare IMHO as to the quality and feel of the material.

20. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Apparently there’s about a mile of Peachtree that’s got all sorts of men’s suit stores (Men’s Wearhouse, Indochino, Suit Supply, Brooks Brothers, everything else in Lenox/Phipps, and Jos A Bank), so I spent a few hours going in and trying suits today.

I found 2 acceptable emergency suit options if there were a sudden need but my universal issue today was shoulder divots.