Suicide by hanging surpasses that by guns...sad

Discussion in 'In the News' started by pro2am, Sep 6, 2007.

1. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Another sad fact that reducing the number of guns wont stop suicides either. :cry:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,295953,00.html

2. tace

tace New Member

But think of the children! We must ban ropes to protect the children.

:evil:

3. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

4. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

three day waiting period on rope?

only one 10 ft length of rope per month?

5. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Do you know what you can do with 10 feet? Are you crazy? I think it should be 10 inches!!!

6. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I get a different take on that story. Since hanging is being used as the method for suicide more often than guns, and guns are obviously a more effective/quick way to actually kill yourself... then I guess the argument that guns in the home leads to suicides is incorrect. Or you could replace it "with any object in the home, suicides are more likely."

7. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

You mean people that don't own/drive/transport themselves in cars are less likely to die in car accidents? :shock: :wink:

8. M249

M249 New Member

You realize that even little kids can purchase rope? Quick! Contact your legislator and get rope control legislation passed immediately!

9. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

[dejected] hooray? [/dejected]

10. Wiley

Wiley Guest

The Clinton anti-gun retoric playbook comes out again.

11. Macktee

Macktee New Member

I think what it means is...

Girls don't understand/like guns.

Girls don't have access to guns.

Girls don't know how to operate guns.

Girls are afraid of guns. Which is strange considering they are going to end their lives.

Girls don't want to make a mess. Really! That's a major reason girls and women don't use guns to kill themselves.

Pills and hanging are much neater and quieter than guns, which girls may not have access to anyway.

Anyone who takes his/her own life is to be pitied. How sad that ending one's life is the only solution to the problems a person has. What's really sad is most suicides give advance warning to family and friends. Warnings which are ignored or not understood. Kids from loving and attentive homes rarely end their lives. Rarely, but it happens.

What a waste......

Sad. If anyone has known someone who's taken her own life, you'll understand. If not, I don't think you possibly can understand.

12. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I disagree in the case of physician assisted suicide. When people are near the end of their life or have a terminal disease they should be able to die at a time of their choosing and should not be looked down upon for that choice.

13. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

I concur. Its my life. If at the end of it I am faced with an agonizing death that will take away my dignity and bankrupt my family, the government should have no say in how I choose to die. But since I don't really care what the government thinks on this subject anyway ....

14. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Sure, but I don't think Macktee meant to cover that case. I am in full agreement with both of you.

15. Mobster989

Mobster989 New Member

I wonder what the main reasons given for the suicides were. I blame hollywood and their "liberal" views putting these girls with ideas that they aren't pretty or that they aren't thin enough or that they need to be like this or that. BAN LIBERAL THINKING!

16. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

Yes, if some one is contemplating suicide as a result of depression, we're obliged to help that person... perhaps give them an iPhone

17. pro2am

pro2am New Member

May 2005 - My daughters school mate (male) is pretending to kill himself with a hanging...when he actually does it.

November, 2005 - my neighbors 19 year old boy kills himself with a gun. Two months later the father almost did the same.

July 2007 - My kids friend has a brother that kills himself.

Last night - My daughters friend (male) put a 38 in his mouth and killed himself.

I posted the article because from my perspective it seems ludicrous to say that gun control will prevent suicide. When someone is going to that extreme to end their pain, guns or no guns, they'll make it happen. It seems that the statistics are proving that.

You know, when I was a teenager, 25+/- years ago, I can remember one kid committing suicide. I am tempted to agree with anyone that states the higher rates of suicide are a reflection of society's view of life and its worth as its evolved over the decades. :2cents:

18. M249

M249 New Member

:goodpost:

Remember, we no longer value the individual, but the group. If you aren't part of the right group, what does that do to your self-worth?

*Note: "we" != the folks on this board, but our society in general.

19. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Nah. "We," too. If you ain't GCO, you don't count. :D

20. merlock

merlock Active Member

Good point, mobster :righton: