Suggestions for first CC firearm?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by BourneEBR, Dec 15, 2010.

1. BourneEBR

BourneEBR New Member

I shot the Ruger SR9c and the Glock 19, i really liked them both, but the Glock is a bit too expensive, and the SR9c isnt in stock anywhere. I went to Wild West Traders, and the guy there suggested what he carried, a Kahr, and i automatically thought, "no way, way out of my price range" until i saw the price tag. It was the Kahr CW9, for about 450ish. I held it and it felt great. Slim, 3 fingers on the grip. So i went home, did some research and found a lot of people liking them.

What are some of your suggestions? i definitely want to stay with 9mm, under 500 bucks, and comfortable to conceal.

Thanks in advance!

2. ARMT Guy

ARMT Guy Ordinary Average Guy

I'd say you've got a good selection right there with that Kahr. :righton:

My wife is considering the P9 for her daily CC pistol. I have a Kahr P380 that I've been completely satisfied with.

You could look at some of the cheaper pistols like Keltec and Taurus, but you generally get what you pay for. If you're patient, keep an eye on the gun forum classifieds for used Glocks, Kahrs, etc, that interest you. You can usually find some good deals on pistols in pretty good shape.

3. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

You could get a used Glock 26 or 19 in your budget. I've even seen a couple for sale recently on various forums.

If you can rent a 26 I would give it a shot. Very accurate and manageable while maintaining a small package. It's what's on my hip everyday now.

4. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

If you go to I believe Ed's, you can get a new Glock for under that. You just need to join the GSSF.

Lot's of folks here have done it.

My choice would be the XD or XDsc. You can pick those up for $450ish as well. Out the door for under $500 easy.

5. jdh31313

jdh31313 Active Member

What about a small J frame S&W or Taurus revolver?

6. OverTork

OverTork New Member

There are a lot of options out there. What you CC really comes down to what gun has the features YOU like, and what gun YOU shoot well.

For instance, I prefer not to have a manual safety on a concealed carry gun. That eliminates a lot of models for me, like the Ruger SR9c. I also like having more than six or seven rounds in the magazine, so that eliminates revolvers and most guns with a single-stacked mag.

So, it's really a personal preference, based on the features you want.

I highly recommend looking into the Springfield XD9 or XD9 Subcompact or a Glock 19 or 26. I just bought a 4th generation and I'm having some problems with it, but the third generation Glocks are known to be extremely reliable.

I've never shot a Kahr, but a lot of people love them. For me, it feels too small in my hand. Since I plan on shooting my carry guns on a regular basis, I want something that's comfortable to shoot, something I can shoot all day if I'm taking a class or something.

So, give us an idea of some of the features you're looking for. For instance:
    • Safeties? None/Trigger/Grip/Manual[/*:m:10f4f5zt]
    • Single or double-stacked? A single stacked design will hold less rounds but will typically be slimmer.[/*:m:10f4f5zt]
    • Grip? Two or Three fingered?[/*:m:10f4f5zt]
    • Any size requirements? Do you want to be able to pocket carry it, or is IWB ok?[/*:m:10f4f5zt]
    • Is weight an issue? Polymer guns will be lighter, which is good for carry but can result in a little more felt recoil.[/*:m:10f4f5zt]
    • Barrel length?[/*:m:10f4f5zt]

There's more, but those are some things you can think about.

7. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Nothing wrong with the Kahr. I've shot them and know people who own them. No complaints.

You can find the SR9C if you look around--- maybe meet somebody here who owns one and is willing to let you try it if you meet him or her at the range and buy the ammo.
    Then if you like the gun, you can order a new one online and have it shipped to a local FFL dealer and pick it up there.

I will suggest this: If choosing between two guns that are both similar-sized and equally comfortable in your hands, get the one that is more famous and has been out on the market longer.
    You will benefit from greater availability of holsters (properly fitting ones, not bulky "one size fits most" holsters), aftermarket sights, extra mags, etc.

8. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

that kahr cw9 is a good weapon. i carry one daily in a crossbreed mini tuck and you forget its there. the weapon is reliable, accurate, and has a GREAT trigger for a striker fired weapon. that kahr will do a quarter size group at 21 feet if you do your part.

9. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper New Member

You can score a brand new Glock 19 for right around $450 if you do your Internet shopping homework. Or, you can go the route of the GSSF and pay $30 for membership in order to buy the G19 for even less than that. You can even score some fabulous deals at the local gun shows, especially on the last day. It is all do-able.

I own the Kahr CW9 as well as four Glocks (I bought the CW9 at a gun show from a dealer new, for under $400 OTD). I love the Kahr for what it offers in a compromise of size and weight vs. capacity, but I would not forego my Glocks as my go-to weapons.

You will not be sorry with any of your choices, but for me, it would definitely be the Glock 19. Best of luck with your decision! :righton:

10. kwikrnu

kwikrnu Banned

The cw9 is lighter and thinnner than the glock, since you will be using it for concealed carry go for it. I carried a p9 for about 4-5 years. I like the all steel ones better but they weigh more.

11. BourneEBR

BourneEBR New Member

I do plan on shooting on a regular basis as well, i wanna practice a lot. I am 5'11", 250 lbs, so i dont mind carrying extra weight. I already carry a benchmade, a fenix LD20, and some other smaller stuff for my EDC. I def want to IWB carry, since there is other stuff in my pockets, i have decent sized hands, three fingers would be nice to have on the gun, and i believe that your finger is the first safety, so a manual safety isnt a big deal. Since this is going to be my first purchase of a handgun, i want something that will do good in a combat training course, something to throw on to my chest rig if i ever decide to take a tactical carbine class.

12. jklotz

jklotz New Member

I bought a CW9 and didn't like it. It was reliable, very easy to carry and worked as advertised, but I just didn't enjoy shooting it. Then again, I'm a 1911 guy, and have not found many ultra small guns I did enjoy shooting....

If you are new to guns, I'd recommend some training. IMHO, it's part of the responsibility of CC. In a proper self defense class, you're going to put 400 - 1000 rounds down the pipe in a weekend, so you should get something you enjoy training with. If it were me, I'd recommend going to a good range with a healthy rental selection and dropping a few bucks on trying a few. If you can attend a basic NRA handgun class (only a few hours from what I remember) before hand, then you can already have some instruction on proper grip and safety. Then rent all the 9mm's you are considering. See what fits your hand the best, which you feel most accurate shooting and which one functions the most logically to you. Functionally, most guns from the major manufacturers are pretty good these days, so a lot of it comes down to personal preference.

Try the S&W M&P, XD series and Glock - hard to go wrong with any of these.

13. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I'm heavy, too. But a heavy gun will drag your pants down and have you constantly adjusting your belt / waistband of your pants. It's not that an extra pound means a lot to a guy who weighs 250 already, but it's WHERE that pound is located and how well it's balanced and secured that really matters. And having an extra pound of metal on your hip can be awkward.

14. jklotz

jklotz New Member

One other thing I thought I'd mention is your budget. In addition to the gun, you'll need a decent holster, mag pouch and cleaning kit. Throw in ammo (probably costs a lot more than one would think) and some range time, and it can add up quickly.

Hope this helps.

15. BourneEBR

BourneEBR New Member

Thanks for all the great info. I will definitely look into the XD's and the Glocks. I just gotta find the right price, and run to the DMV to get the drivers license lol.

16. Puffyfish

Puffyfish New Member

Since this is your first gun to CC I'd suggest something with a safety or a de-cocker. A Glock does not fit this profile. :screwy:

17. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

Why is that? A good holster and trigger discipline will eliminate 99.99999% of ND's.

Safeties on a carry gun are one more thing to go wrong IMO. Many new shooters actually prefer guns without external safeties for their simplicity.

18. a-squared

a-squared New Member

I can attest to that.

I wanted to start of with something slim and light for my first carry weapon, but something my hand fit fully on. I chose a PK380, it fit that bill perfectly. It had ambi external safeties which I really liked, but no decocker which I didn't like.

After I became comfortable with it, and had a better idea of pros and cons of firearms to carry, I started looking for something different.

I started a thread about it and someone introduced me to the new springfield XDM 3.8" with a subcompact grip, but can be extended to full size. This gun is everything I never knew I wanted. It has two internal safeties with the grip and trigger squeeze, as well as a decocker. I also like the fact that it doesn't have the hammer and is striker fired. :love: Plus it holds 13 or 19 rounds depending on the grip size you want to use.

If you can afford to go a $100 more, look at one of those.

19. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

I would suggest also trying an S&W M&P 9c. They are much more comfortable for my hands than Glocks and have a 12 round mag in the same size package as a G26.

20. dam294

dam294 Active Member

Don't forget a good gun belt as well.