Suggestions for a proxy server/VPN service

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by carnut, Apr 13, 2017.

1. carnut

carnut Member

Anyone have recommendations for a good internet proxy and VPN supplier. Been hunting around for one, but have not made a decisions yet. Looks like I going to have to pay as the free/low cost ones are limited in functionality.

2. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

PIA private internet access

new accounts are highly discounted as of yesterday 2yrs for price of 1

highest rated of all by most accounts

I've used them for many years

3. MewsicLovr

MewsicLovr Member

Seconded for private internet access.

4. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

I use Usenet.

Very happy with them so far.

5. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

usenet is not a vpn

I'd like to find a good/cheap usenet subscription

6. Archangel

Their subscription also comes with a VPN Client. I pay like $97 a year. Less than $10 a month.

7. carnut

carnut Member

Thanks for the replies.. Giving PIA at try they have a 7 day money back option. This morning their west coast proxy was real slow, had to switch to another..otherwise the service seems fast and sort of transparent to use. I already have usenet, but was unaware of their VPN option, going to look into that also.

However, I did some testing using a simple "whats is my location" search on chrome after I signed up. Interesting I got various answers: (the proxy location) College Park MD. (expected that) then Piscataway NJ. ?? - the middle of Raritan Bay NJ.??, a few can not find responses - but one site 'mycurrentlocation.net' brought up a Google map with a red dot on my house along with longitude and latitude coordinates. I wondering where this info came from. I cleared cookies, cleared history, and searched hard drive for my address and longitude/lat with no results. How do they associate my browsing query with my address, somehow my computer is still sending out something this site cross references to me. Not really critical but if I'm paying for a private VPN service it's not 100% there yet.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  8. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

chrome and your router leaks dns stuff via your ip's default dns servers, under some conditions (set up your own google or other dns server in your network config)

at a minimum do this: ipconfig /flushdns on a windows machine

https://www.dnsleaktest.com/

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  9. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

Chrome monitors everything you do. I have even discussed very specific tools on a private SSL encrypted forum and had Facebook ads for the exact model 5 minutes later.

10. Own Defense

Own Defense Member

Me too.

11. Archangel

Which is exactly why I don't use Chrome.

12. carnut

carnut Member

Update, I flushed the dns with ipconfig and ran the dns leak test. The leak test showed only one server and it was the PIA east coast server 208.167.**.** . So I assume that's normal.
    Yes it is Chrome (Google) sending out my info to whoever seems to ask. I tried the same processes with Firefox and EPIC browsers and get a popup saying "this site wants to know you location" allow or not . With Chrome my stuff just displays, no question.
    So I'm satisfied with PIA for now, not so much with the Google products. I deleted my Google account I was using for Google Play, maybe someday the data will clear.

13. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

No it will not. It is in the clouds, stored in the govt fusion centers and held over your head for all time. It will never be deleted short of a big bomb type thing ending all electrical service, physically destroying the memory devices and some type of radiation that prevents a stream of electrons from ever forming.

Nemo