Suggest a book for me on combat operations in Afghanistan..

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by guitarded_1, Oct 28, 2010.

1. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 New Member

I really have the itch to read a non-fictional account of modern combat operations in Afghanistan. I'm specifically looking for something that digs deep behind the scenes and tells the type of story that we rarely get from the mass media. Something drilling down into a specific mission, special forces, CIA, etc would be great.

I have read Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell, and though it was pretty good, though I wasn't a particular fan of the writing style. I'm not looking for anything with a specific agenda or overtone - I just want a factual, actual, well written account of something pretty intense. Obviously our guys over there have dealt with some extraordinary circumstances, and I would like to get a better feel for how some of that has played out.

Any suggestions?

2. samman23

samman23 New Member

I really liked Lone Survivor. I think Marcus Luttrell wrote an honest book about what he saw and was motivated to tell the stories of how his friends died bravely in battle to honor them.

3. Wolfram

Wolfram New Member

Not Afghanistan but "Generation Kill", was a great read. Its what the HBO mini series was based off of. the book follows the Marine Recons who were among the first to head into Iraq in 2003.

You can get it for fairly cheap as well.
    http://www.amazon.com/Generation-Kill-C ... 0399151931

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

It had a writing style? What was it? "Drunk guy talking into a tape recorder, later transcribed?"
    :lol:

5. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 New Member

Great. I'll look into that. Thanks for the suggestion.

6. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 New Member

It had a writing style? What was it? "Drunk guy talking into a tape recorder, later transcribed?"
    :lol:[/quote:2by2zz7f]

Yeah - they all have a writing style - usually imparted by way of the writer who oversees the translation of the story. It's almost unavoidable. Amazing story, though.