Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I hired a contractor to do the tile work in my bedroom. The job was done poorly by a team and had to be redone. So the first crew was 2 guys who came with the contractor and did the work. I had to work, but my Mom was there to babysit them. lol

My question pertains to the tile guy who redid the job and his bringing his family on site. We had gone back and forth with the contractor to get someone over there. His replacement subcontractor stood us up the weekend prior. So he finally got a guy who found a guy... ugh... anyway... he had to work alone, so it was slow going. It ended up being a Saturday. It was a Saturday that I had a work thing. Again I enlisted my Mother.

So things were fine when I left... tile guy and contractor showed up and I left them to it. I got to the work event an hour away and got a call a while later. Mom said contractor left tile guy to work. tile guy left for lunch and returned with his family... Wife and 2 kids. I said kids... where are they? " In the room with him tiling. He has the door shut so they are not running around the house. "

I instantly had a sick feeling... since the bedroom was being tiled... the guns had been moved to the walk in closet on the bathroom hallway connected to the bedroom. They were packed high & deep in the closet. High enough to be out of a child's reach. the closet had a child lock on the closet door to keep my cats from opening it. Yes smart cats!

Why were they not locked up you ask? The wife and I live alone with no gun safe yet. Planning to build hiding spots versus a traditional safe. in progress in bedroom...

The oldest child that came was about 5 years old. Old enough to manipulate the child lock. Mom said he was in and out of the porch door of our bedroom multiple times alone. I was freaking about the guns, but didn't want to even bring attention that they are there. It would be near impossible for him to get to them, but still... just the idea that a child was near my guns semi unsupervised.

And no... there was no way Mom could have moved the guns. Called the contractor, but he did not answer the phone.

So I trusted in my hiding skills, as they had evaded my 23 year old stepson, and did not rush home. But it made me think.... what if.... how would it play out legally if that child had gotten one of my loaded guns?

No one knew he was bringing his children... this was not cleared thru me. Mom was house sitting, but had no idea about the guns... so how would that shake out?

Nothing happened and that night the guns were moved where I could keep an eye out while he wrapped up Sunday.

·
Swollen Member
11,969 Posts
I'm guessing you could have been culpable as the homeowner since the person you enlisted to monitor the house (your mom) allowed the children to remain inside the home with your guns. Your mom was acting under your agency, so that's how I see it coming back to bite you in a lawsuit.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Good to know... sucks that one could be held responsible for children you did not even authorize on premises...

Will have to check around to see if my hiding of weapons in furniture versus in a traditional safe would offer me protection or leave me open to culpability

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
How about hiding a locked cabinet? May not be as strong as safe, but would still keep honest people out. One of those skinny long gun cabinets could be incorporated into a wall or the back of a closet for camoflague.

The hidden location would be primary security, and the lock would back be up.

Another option for guns that don't need quick access would be hidden locations with locks on each gun.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gun safe is ideal... just the way the house is built it does not Lend itself to even a small safe without some contractor's help. guess when I say working on a hiding spot... I'm meaning a locked hiding spot that is very unique. forget what you have seen online. building it into existing structure is the plan... and not a wall or shelf or mirror.... If my idea works I might be able to work a safe into the spot....

Planned a small bait safe for the bad guys

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Get a good safe. Hiding your guns will not stop them from being stolen.
A safe won't stop them from being stolen either. Check YouTube to see how quickly even inexperienced thieves can defeat a gun safe. A safe is mainly to prevent unauthorized access by people in the home.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A safe won't stop them from being stolen either. Check YouTube to see how quickly even inexperienced thieves can defeat a gun safe. A safe is mainly to prevent unauthorized access by people in the home.
This is precisely why I was thinking about a bait safe. Then its letting them think the got it. they wil still have to crack it or haul it off.

to get a safe they can't Crack will cost as much as 10,000 and a boat load to build a home for it... and I'm not sure that can't be beat or at least not carted away with enough hands. The break in we had there were 4 guys. multiple layered protection was my thoughts. hidden in an unlikely place with a few compartments under compartments and locks at each step.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Sheesh man...all i can think of is "HELL NO".

Who does that....bring kids unannounced to a private residence.

Good Grief! [-X

·
Registered
398 Posts
Subcontractor brings wife & 2 children to jobsite @ my house (guns in home)

Long story short...

You (your insurance company) would have lost the almost certain lawsuit if an incident had occurred. That is, unless a settlement was reached before a trial.

Of course if the contractor had insurance that company would have also been involved, as would have the other contractor's insurance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts